A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak Through Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines next Thursday. I just hope there's not any antifreeze on wiring already to come back and haunt me later?
I have 79k mi on it
Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Angry

I checked on audi recall site for my VIN and they have listed these two items, are these two is what we are discussing here? I still haven't received any mail (I bought car on 27th of Sep this year). I'm really really scared now. I probably should not wait for damn letter to arrive...

Recalls
see details Coolant Shut-off Valve (N488) REPAIR NEEDED
START DATE
Aug 22, 2016
AUDI ACTION CODE
80B9
DESCRIPTION
Over time, it is possible for coolant to leak through a coolant valve wire connection, causing coolant migration into the engine control module. If this happens, it can cause a short circuit, placing the vehicle into "limp-home mode", or possibly even cause a stall without warning.

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER
16V619
REMEDY
Replace affected coolant valve and inspect for coolant leak through the valve electrical connector.

Service Campaigns
Service campaigns shown may be available for a limited time only. Please contact your authorized Audi dealer for additional information.

see details Coolant Shut-off Valve (N82) REPAIR NEEDED
START DATE
Oct 06, 2016
AUDI ACTION CODE
80B8
DESCRIPTION
On Audi A8 vehicles without auxilary heating manufactured within a specific priod, the coolant shut-off valve N82 may sporadically stick. If this happens, the heating output of the air conditioner will be reduced.

REMEDY
The coolant shut-off valve will be replaced.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jeneag
I checked on audi recall site for my VIN and they have listed these two items, are these two is what we are discussing here? I still haven't received any mail (I bought car on 27th of Sep this year). I'm really really scared now. I probably should not wait for damn letter to arrive...

Recalls
see details Coolant Shut-off Valve (N488) REPAIR NEEDED
START DATE
Aug 22, 2016
AUDI ACTION CODE
80B9
DESCRIPTION
Over time, it is possible for coolant to leak through a coolant valve wire connection, causing coolant migration into the engine control module. If this happens, it can cause a short circuit, placing the vehicle into "limp-home mode", or possibly even cause a stall without warning.

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER
16V619
REMEDY
Replace affected coolant valve and inspect for coolant leak through the valve electrical connector.

Service Campaigns
Service campaigns shown may be available for a limited time only. Please contact your authorized Audi dealer for additional information.

see details Coolant Shut-off Valve (N82) REPAIR NEEDED
START DATE
Oct 06, 2016
AUDI ACTION CODE
80B8
DESCRIPTION
On Audi A8 vehicles without auxilary heating manufactured within a specific priod, the coolant shut-off valve N82 may sporadically stick. If this happens, the heating output of the air conditioner will be reduced.

REMEDY
The coolant shut-off valve will be replaced.
This is for your 2016 A8L? I don't have the recall on my 2013.

From NHTSA website:
"Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain model year 2010-2013 Audi A8 vehicles manufactured May 15, 2010, to May 14, 2012."
Old 10-27-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke

From NHTSA website:
"Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain model year 2010-2013 Audi A8 vehicles manufactured May 15, 2010, to May 14, 2012."
Do you guys know if this issue also effects any model year s8's? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you put your vin# in the link below it will tell you if any recalls exist for your vehicle. To the best of my knowledge the coolant leak recall is only for the 4.2 A8 cars.

Audi Recall Services by Vehicle Identification Number
Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke

From NHTSA website:
No, 2011. I called this morning, they said 'we are booked, next wed is earliest', I told them that it's dangerous to drive, etc., etc., and guy told me to come in and they will 'squeeze' me in. It was around 10:30am when I dropped off the car. They called back 4:30pm said that they will need to leave it till tomorrow because they started to work but not going to be able to finish by the end of the day.

Anyone with older A8 definitely go check on audi's website if there is any recalls for your vehicle. Audi Recall Services by Vehicle Identification Number
As it has been previously posted this could be extremely dangerous as well as very, very expensive (4-12k) to fix! I'll post work order docs if anyone interested.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AUDI RECALL

Originally Posted by Kkirkg
I have a 2011 A8 with 35k miles. Last week the check engine light came on the the car shut down. I had it towed to my dealer and the diagnosis was that a coolant valve had failed causing the coolant to leach through(inside the wire itself)the wiring and shorted out the ECU. A friend who had an independent repair shop told me this was a 'known issue' as the coolant valve was prone to failing.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?
I have a 2011(D4) A8L with 62,000km ( 40,000miles).
just got yesterday a letter from AUDI Canada
subject , safety recall 80B9 - coolant shut-off valve (N488)
"OVER time , it is possible for coolant to leak "
just made an appointment at dealer
also in the letter , AUDI will pay you back your repair bill
good luck
Old 10-28-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's my understanding that ALL of the 4.2 A8's are affected.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just received my car this afternoon, having dropped it off yesterday afternoon. Both coolant valves replaced no charge. Since I felt sooo bad about the free repair, I had them put new tires on the old girl. It rides and drives superbly now.

They gave me a 2017 a4 loaner with 28 miles. I am impressed with the power Audi gets out of a 2.0 L blown motor. Nice gauge display, too. Harper Audi in Knoxville is a class act
Old 10-29-2016, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TSB JUST ISSUED CALL AUDIUSA

Originally Posted by Kkirkg
I have a 2011 A8 with 35k miles. Last week the check engine light came on the the car shut down. I had it towed to my dealer and the diagnosis was that a coolant valve had failed causing the coolant to leach through(inside the wire itself)the wiring and shorted out the ECU. A friend who had an independent repair shop told me this was a 'known issue' as the coolant valve was prone to failing.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?
My 2011 A8L had exact same issue last year, repaired under warranty. Earlier this week I received in the mail a TSB for this issue. Call AUDI USA, DO NOT PAID FOR REPAIR!!!

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Through Wiring Harness