Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-Present Audi S8 produced from 2012-

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 273413

Default German A8

So I am in Germany visiting family and will be here for 5 weeks. First thing my father-in-law did was get a A8 catalog. 142 pages! Still trying to digest it. My technical German needs some help, but the number of options and combinations available is more than USA A8s. Has anyone done a European Delivery or bought a car in Germany?

Last edited by Kkirkg; 07-07-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Kkirkg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:01 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 11928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkirkg View Post
So I am in Germany visiting family and will be here for 5 weeks. First thing my father-in-law did was get a A8 catalog. 142 pages! Still trying to digest it. My technical German needs some help, but the number of options and combinations available is more than USA A8s. Has anyone done a European Delivery or bought a car in Germany?
I have not, however, I'm fairly certain that not every option available in Germany would qualify for import as a US spec build. Audi doesn't have, for example, all it's wheel selections or interior options (steering wheels, wood trims, etc) made available for US government crash/safety testing---too expensive. Also some options like the matrix headlights and sequential turn signal design could not be imported here at the present time, since they don't meet current NHTSA regulations. In Germany you certainly could spec an A8 just about any way you wanted, but getting it legally approved to import into the US is another matter.

derfA8L

2015 A8L 4.0T (production week 10/20/14...Delivered on 11/21/14) Panther Black Crystal Effect/Black Interior/Black Alcantara/Poplar Brown-Silver Inlays
Premium, Luxury, Sport, Driver Assistance, Cold Weather, Rear Seat Comfort, Panoramic Sunroof, Night Vision
derfA8L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
Account #: 26081

Default All true, but...

Yes, you can order an A8 in Germany almost any way you want, including at the other end of the spectrum as a relative stripper compared to what you would find in the USA. Euro delivery Audis bought by US customers are US spec, not Euro spec. BTDT, in 1985 (5000) and 2013 (Q5).

Also after you drool over the 142 pages, also look at the pricing. Side by side w/ similar motors and options, expect to pay the better part of 50% more in Germany than in the US. Not surprisingly, a very big% of these big Autobahn cruisers are company cars provided to executives; s common perk there relative to the US.

If you like the brochure BTW, you can actually often get the English language one on eBay UK if you really want your own.

For those interested, here is the German one: http://www.audi.de/content/dam/nemo/...8-l-w12_s8.pdf

Here is the Audi Exclusive German brochure: http://www.audi.de/content/dam/nemo/...ve-katalog.pdf

German price list: http://www.audi.de/content/dam/nemo/...8-l-w12_s8.pdf

And, finally the UK (English) one: "Only" 105 pages: http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/au...ides/a8-s8.pdf
Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12 brilliant black w/ amaretto; 4 seat setup, CPO; modestly lowered, H&R 20mm rear and 12mm front DRs with 275/35 on OEM polished + forged 20's; S8 sway bars (see: rear bar and gen'l D3 bar info and front bar); tweaked 385mm front factory brake mod and matching rear brake mod; matching C6 A6 back headrests (better rear view: headrest tweak); owner installed AMI retrofit with part number details here. [If you want pics in foregoing links, ask AW where they went...used all to work] Upper control arm reference (+ more info in replies) here. Lower cost D3 OES sway bar links here.
Current #2: 2013 Q5 2.0T hybrid; Scuba blue w/ chestnut sport interior; Euro delivery 7/2013 (pictured at Ingolstadt); RS5 front brakes
Prior (each modded): 2000 C5 A6 4.2 & '96 C4 A6 2.8Q, both still w/ family; '85 C3 5000S 5 sp FWD; '73 C1 100LS

helpful cross reference to a C6 post with MMI and other TSB's that also cover D3 A8's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-07-2014 at 10:21 PM.
MP4.2+6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 106522

Also do not forget that a lot of options you see on the European models are already part of the US version thus they are not listed as options.

Never Follow

20## S8....... Looking to the future
2012 A8L 4.2 Quattro Presntly in my garage
2008 S6 V10 - 5.2 Quattro SOLD
2002 A4 3.0 Quattro SOLD
Lazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 11928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
Also do not forget that a lot of options you see on the European models are already part of the US version thus they are not listed as options.
That's true. There certainly are a ton of European options that are bundled as standard equipment on US spec A8s. That would probably account for about 30 pages right there ;-)

derfA8L

2015 A8L 4.0T (production week 10/20/14...Delivered on 11/21/14) Panther Black Crystal Effect/Black Interior/Black Alcantara/Poplar Brown-Silver Inlays
Premium, Luxury, Sport, Driver Assistance, Cold Weather, Rear Seat Comfort, Panoramic Sunroof, Night Vision
derfA8L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement