A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More vibration questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was able to get them down to $1200 taxs included. I pick it up Monday and will let y'all know how it goes. The tricky thing about the vibration is it happens at Rpm's that aren't frequently encountered (unless you drive like I do) so I think it's easy to overlook but buying a used car I've got my microscope out trying to make sure I didn't buy something days away from being a very expensive brick. When it's new, you have the warranty.

Thats 100% speculation on my part. I've never bought a new car
Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO the engine mounts loosing programing due to "key reprogramming" was an early "excuse" and in most the threads I read the mechanical adjustment and/or replacement of downpipes was the ultimate fix. I'm sure the engine mounts do need to be working correctly but even with this fixed the root of the problem is the downpipes. If vehicle is out of warranty it's pretty much up a wild card with Audi and the Dealer to negotiate coverage or the extended warranty coverage. I would focus on the downpipe aspect of the problem and less about incorrect key reprogramming.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jwhiteak
IMHO the engine mounts loosing programing due to "key reprogramming" was an early "excuse" and in most the threads I read the mechanical adjustment and/or replacement of downpipes was the ultimate fix. I'm sure the engine mounts do need to be working correctly but even with this fixed the root of the problem is the downpipes. If vehicle is out of warranty it's pretty much up a wild card with Audi and the Dealer to negotiate coverage or the extended warranty coverage. I would focus on the downpipe aspect of the problem and less about incorrect key reprogramming.
When did Audi "fix" the downpipe issue? Are current 4.0T iterations impacted or does it only affect a specific model year window?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jwhiteak

Agree completely. It's frustrating they won't admit that and require you to go through the motions and pay for the reprogramming. My car wasn't ready today like they had said so I don't have an update for y'all
Old 01-03-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just traded in my 2012 A6 for a Certified 2015 A8. I noticed the vibrations pretty quickly and was surprised the dealer did not correct it as part of the Audi Certified process. I have an appointment with my local dealer to fix this issue. Since this is under warranty I want to make sure it is addressed correctly. Is both the reprogramming and down pipe replacement necessary to fix or is it one or the other?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparks1
I just traded in my 2012 A6 for a Certified 2015 A8. I noticed the vibrations pretty quickly and was surprised the dealer did not correct it as part of the Audi Certified process. I have an appointment with my local dealer to fix this issue. Since this is under warranty I want to make sure it is addressed correctly. Is both the reprogramming and down pipe replacement necessary to fix or is it one or the other?
As has been discussed several times on this forum, the protocol is to first address the engine mount re-programming, and if that doesn't correct the vibration issue then they have to get permission from Audi to replace the downpipes. Can't recall any time the engine mount re-programming alone resolved the issue, but that's how they are supposed to handle it---unless they've recently revised the protocol to eliminate the mount re-program step.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's fixed! Took nearly 2 weeks. Apparently the tech was sick. Definitely worth it. Feels like a different car. Incredibly smooth.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by Khalizzel
It's fixed! Took nearly 2 weeks. Apparently the tech was sick. Definitely worth it. Feels like a different car. Incredibly smooth.
"Fixed" meaning all the way through to the revised headpipes change out?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is what I don't understand...

If this is a KNOWN issue at Audi - why do the new cars still have this problem?!
Old 01-09-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Khalizzel
Head pipes - I thought the solution was the change the down pipes...?

Quick Reply: More vibration questions