A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of a 2012-2013 A8

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of a 2012-2013 A8

Hi All in A8 world,

I am thinking about a 2012-2013 A8 L. I was originally considering the bmw 750Li but the jury is out on the "on/off" save gas option from bimmer. As the days goes by, I am more and more moving towards an A8. I really don't have the cash to get an S8, so the A8 it shall be. But I wanted to give it a more "sportier" look.

I wanted to move the licence plate to either the left of right side of the grill as I prefer to preserve the awesome front grill look. I have seen other Audi models (ie rs5) use a tow hook licence plate mount.

Is this option available for the A8 ?

I wanted to lower the beast as well.
What do you recommend to have it lowered ? Coil overs or springs ?

I wanted to put aftermarket rims.
What sizes do I go with ?

Can the backseat passengers enjoy my own "burned" movies from my external HD on long drives ?

Thanks,
sj
Old 01-19-2015, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in this market too. the 2012s are pretty affordable but makes me wonder why a car that listed for so much more depreciates like a stone. also I have had an audi tech tell me that its hard to resell too. jeez.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm not worried about re-sell as it will probably be one of the last cars I ever own.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by a8_sj
Hi All in A8 world,

I am thinking about a 2012-2013 A8 L. I was originally considering the bmw 750Li but the jury is out on the "on/off" save gas option from bimmer. As the days goes by, I am more and more moving towards an A8. I really don't have the cash to get an S8, so the A8 it shall be. But I wanted to give it a more "sportier" look.

I wanted to move the licence plate to either the left of right side of the grill as I prefer to preserve the awesome front grill look. I have seen other Audi models (ie rs5) use a tow hook licence plate mount.

Is this option available for the A8 ?

I wanted to lower the beast as well.
What do you recommend to have it lowered ? Coil overs or springs ?

Can the backseat passengers enjoy my own "burned" movies from my external HD on long drives ?

Thanks,
sj

I'll be selling my 2011 A8 sport if your interested. The sport package is already lowered over std. and looks better and much sportier than the std A8's IMO.
My wife just totaled my old A6 and I need to regroup and replace our Suburban for towing also. So I've decided to sell my prized A8 Sport to fund two vehicles rather then be greedy myself, with the A8 and the Surburban sitting around. PM me or let me know if your interested

It has a perfect CarFax, Certified vehicle by Audi that came from FL and is absolutely mint and perfect.

I do not run a plate on the front of the car and have not had a problem without it.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

^ thanks, but I need a canadian car as I'm in toronto
Old 01-22-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you opt for the 20" that is one of the standard sizes (20x9; 265/40 - 20), bear in mind that there are not too many choices among readily available tyres; so it's well worth double checking in advance that you can get the rubber you want.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Seaclav
If you opt for the 20" that is one of the standard sizes (20x9; 265/40 - 20), bear in mind that there are not too many choices among readily available tyres; so it's well worth double checking in advance that you can get the rubber you want.

I put 275/40/20 rubber under mine, many more choices going that route!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not worried about re-sell as it will probably be one of the last cars I ever own.
This doesn't sound good. I am 64 and I really do not like how that "last car" sounds. Than again I am in a petty similar situation. I plan to keep my D3 and sail around best part of next decade. I hope your reason is something similar.

To your questions:

Only thing I can say about licence plate is that I would try hardware from that RS5 you like. It may just fit, or it can be easily customized.

A8 has air suspension, so instead steel springs there are air bags. Height can be adjusted for 1" up or down from the standard. It can also be lowered for up to another inch by VCDS software adjustment. Even more (definitely not recommended) by adjustable suspension level sensors links.

Starting point for wheels is 5x112 ET37 (5 bolts on 112mm circle, 37mm offset from the center line to the mounting surface) Center Bore 66.6mm and outside tire diameter around 720mm. You can go with slightly different offset. Few millimeters smaller offset will bring wheels closer to fenders giving a sportier look. Too much and tires would stick out and rub the fenders.

Factory rims are 19x8.5 or 20x9. You can go up to 10" wide but it has to be carefully combined with tire width and offset. I would always recommend the smallest rim than can accommodate front rotors. So it would be 19", but some people like huge rims. 21" from S8 or 22" or all crazy 28". Problem is that outside tire diameter. It can't be much larger or it would rub to the suspension, so tire sidewall has to be smaller with larger rims. That makes ride harsher and both tires and rims more vulnerable.

Some OE wheels are forged, so stronger. Quite common 20x9 ten double spokes is one of them.

Can't help you with movies. I believe that depends on particular car options.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool A8 L, a special car indeed

Lusting after a A8 L is not shameful. The A8L, it is the 'the best car at any price in the world' IMO. The 4.0T is a 'world class' car; my '13MY w/ 33 k mis is addictive but I'm looking to upgrade to a S8 soon. (see my add in AW) Mine has most options except night vision, heads-up & refrigerator. It has a quality on the Interstate that gives the driver a sense of total control inside and outside the cabin. It settles in at 80-85mph... Plate position to the L can be done with the tow hook mod so it can be taken off or kept on the left side to allow the grill full exposure; suspension is air/adjustable and is quite adequate for the chassis (S8 is a sport susp. but at a price); 20" wheels are just right for the chassis and give it a smooth ride on almost any surface; over all its a 10 with few flaws.

Last edited by DavidA; 01-24-2015 at 08:48 PM. Reason: addt'l info
Old 01-26-2015, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mishar
This doesn't sound good. I am 64 and I really do not like how that "last car" sounds. Than again I am in a petty similar situation. I plan to keep my D3 and sail around best part of next decade. I hope your reason is something similar.

To your questions:

Only thing I can say about licence plate is that I would try hardware from that RS5 you like. It may just fit, or it can be easily customized.

A8 has air suspension, so instead steel springs there are air bags. Height can be adjusted for 1" up or down from the standard. It can also be lowered for up to another inch by VCDS software adjustment. Even more (definitely not recommended) by adjustable suspension level sensors links.

Starting point for wheels is 5x112 ET37 (5 bolts on 112mm circle, 37mm offset from the center line to the mounting surface) Center Bore 66.6mm and outside tire diameter around 720mm. You can go with slightly different offset. Few millimeters smaller offset will bring wheels closer to fenders giving a sportier look. Too much and tires would stick out and rub the fenders.

Factory rims are 19x8.5 or 20x9. You can go up to 10" wide but it has to be carefully combined with tire width and offset. I would always recommend the smallest rim than can accommodate front rotors. So it would be 19", but some people like huge rims. 21" from S8 or 22" or all crazy 28". Problem is that outside tire diameter. It can't be much larger or it would rub to the suspension, so tire sidewall has to be smaller with larger rims. That makes ride harsher and both tires and rims more vulnerable.

Some OE wheels are forged, so stronger. Quite common 20x9 ten double spokes is one of them.

Can't help you with movies. I believe that depends on particular car options.
learned a lot from your post. this group is lucky to have you. I really would love to get a '13 a8 and though the 20 inch wheel looks nice I probably would replace it with the 19. this car seems to have all the features I want and I love the tech especially the night vision but I am VERY concerned about its reliability as it relates to longevity; I would like to keep the car at least 5-7 years but everyone warns me about an extended warranty [definetly on the cards] and honestly it scares me. a '13 lexus ls is also an option but its so poor in its tech offerings while being a superior car reputation wise. thanks again as I can use all the information I can get and I do love this audi.

Quick Reply: thinking of a 2012-2013 A8