Help! 94 Audi Cabriolet possible Timing belt issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 94 Audi Cabriolet possible Timing belt issue

So sadly after 8 years of ownership my Cabriolet aka "MaxAMillion" (name given by my first high school gf) has kicked the bucket (or so I assume). I have gone down the list and have done extensive research and I "assume" its the timing that has gone out. Here is the scenario: A few months before my car stopped running I noticed it would not start on hot days, my first thought was it was the coil pack, with some inspection I noticed a spark plug was loose and then the issue was gone. Then one day it just would not start anymore, I figured it was due to the hot "Carolina days" we had for a solid month. I did some research and saw that the most common electrical issue to occur was the ignition control module would go out. This being so I managed to find a local junkyard with a 97 A4 with a 2.8L V6, I pulled the module and coil pack just to be sure that either if not both were the issue. Without any luck neither worked therefore I had to speak to my local "Audi" mechanic and he suggested for me to check the fuel pump (already did and its fine), he also suggested to spray starter fuel into the intake assuming the timing was fine (didn't really want to try that since my gut feeling is that if the timing is gone that the valves will bend, pistons could shoot out, etc.), he also said if it was the timing it would be roughly $2700 to be repaired b/c the whole top half of the block would have to be replaced. Basically all poor Max does is try to turn over but does not fire, he is getting gas, spark plugs are fine, I took out one plug and attached it the first coil on the coil pack to check for spark but I got no spark. Does anyone know what it could possibly be? The battery has a full charge, have two coil packs, and two ignition control modules, tested both and they work fine but do not solve my issue. I wanted my local mechanic to take a look at it, but it requires me to tow it to the town next door (but his service + towing is a very large expense) this being so, does anyone know a way to check if it is the timing without going too deep into the engine; never really worked on an Audi engine before and also don't own a manual in order to know the torque specs for bolts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your timing belt had broken you'd likely have suffered a catastrophic breakdown rather than it just slowly not starting.

You need to check the codes. The car will tell you why it isn't starting.
12v Pages - Maintenance

I'll bet this is something way simpler like the cam position sensor or something.

Just remember to check for codes after attempting to start the car but with the ignition still on. The crank position sensor is always in fault mode before you try to start the car (because it hasn't cranked) but will vanish after an attempted start unless it is truly an issue.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you, I have been looking for a way to check the engine codes ever since I got the car.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

what year is your car?
and im with grillage here, cam position sensor. or some other sensor
Old 11-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its a 94. Sorry for such a LATE response (school has taken up all my time). That's what I have been thinking lately.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When my wife's 95 90 wouldn't start that is exactly what it was. Blinked the codes, came back CPS, bought & replaced. Started right back up.