Sad day for me and my 88 90/quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad day for me and my 88 90/quattro

So after a week of talking with Carfax, I got told today that my car was a total loss because of hail, and that the speedo was replaced at 128k back in 2000. So my low milage vintage Audi is in fact a normal 88 Audi with roughly 196k. Now I'm not sure if I wanna keep it. It still needs another 2k in mantiance with all the worn bushings mounts and gremlins it has.given the person I got it from was unaware of the speedo replacement because it was 10 years prior to him getting it. I've got 6k invested in it now thinking it was worth close to 7-10k only to find out it might only be worth 1k. What's everyone's thoughts on this. Keep it, sell it,put it in the storage and keep it for a weekend project? Kinda sucks this is how my first euro car turned out. Lol
Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Some more details concerning your car and location would help..

I have been in the same position with insurance claims in the past. Gather all your receipts and document all the money spent on the car. Demand you be reimbursed for your true economic loss, $6000. You just have to prove it.

The insurance companies don't like older classic cars because it is very hard to value them. I've seen your model go for sale for $1000 or $7500..just depends.

Do tell them you demand your loss..don't let the insurance company dictate the value of your car..it belongs to you and you have the money invested..it is your loss.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
Some more details concerning your car and location would help..

I have been in the same position with insurance claims in the past. Gather all your receipts and document all the money spent on the car. Demand you be reimbursed for your true economic loss, $6000. You just have to prove it.

The insurance companies don't like older classic cars because it is very hard to value them. I've seen your model go for sale for $1000 or $7500..just depends.

Do tell them you demand your loss..don't let the insurance company dictate the value of your car..it belongs to you and you have the money invested..it is your loss.
Lol sorry, I should have been more specific. I bought the car in July thinking it only had 66k on it. It had been restored by the previous owner not knowing it had been a total loss. He said it had hail and he fixed the car instead of pocketing the money. So I go to trade the car in at the Audi Dealership (they had a sweet s4 for a steal price! Lol) and they told me they couldn't take the car in trade because of carfax info. So I contacted them to dispute the info thinking my info was accurate. Well come to find out, the car had the speedo replaced so when it was reported 50k milage at an oil change it triggered a rollback notice. Carfax updated the total loss mark as being caused by hail. I live in wyoming/northern Colorado. I paid 3k for the car, have 3k in repairs thinking it was a low milage vintage Audi, but now its just another 196k Audi. It's in mint shape now with all the mechanical repairs and body work and paint. Only thing left to fix is interior and get some electrical issues worked out.