Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Extended Warranty for 2.5 Year Old Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Extended Warranty for 2.5 Year Old Car?

I'm going to buy my dad's 14 S6 (as in sig) when his 16 S6 comes in around Dec. (wants the dark blue), and he didn't get an extended warranty on the 14. I'm thinking about trying to get an extended warranty if I can get a good deal on one. He's the original owner, gets it serviced at the same dealer where he's getting the 16. Will Audi sell extended warranties on cars that are not brand new but still well under warranty, and in any case, are there other good options?

I checked with USAA where I have insurance and they do have an extended protection program that doesn't seem like a great deal:
60 months from now up to 75K on odo $3,861
60 month from now up to 100K on odo $5,820
Since the car will be about 2.5 years old when I get it and it'll have 1.5 yrs of warranty on the factory warranty, that's quite a bit of cash for 3.5 years. I do plan to keep the car for a very long time if it can stay in great working order, since it's pretty advanced.

My A6 C6 (as below) has been quite a bit of trouble and had to have the engine replaced at 72k mi or so, but I got Audi to cover 90% of that very hefty charge because it's redidulous to have the whole engine replaced that early. I've also got a bunch of smaller things that have happened, most under 100k mi. This car is WAAY more complicated than the A6, so I can imagine it working out that the cost would be worth it. However, I know they make money on these things on average.

Are there great warranty options from Audi or other companies that could be available for a decent price? As an example, we're picking up a new Odyssey and I was able to buy Honda Care extended warranty from a dealer in another state on it for probably 60% of the price that the local Honda dealer would charge. I'm skeptical of companies that will find some weird exclusions that would make the warranty hard to get to pay out, but perhaps you folks have had good experiences.

Thanks!!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Will Audi sell extended warranties on cars that are not brand new but still well under warranty, and in any case, are there other good options?

Thanks!!
I thought that the original owner can get extended coverage from Audi as long as the original warranty has not run out. One caution is that the extended coverage from Audi is backed by Fidelity Warranty, not Audi. Other than the 2 year warranty they give to CPO cars, Audi does not do factory extended warranties.

Could your Dad sell the car to your dealer, with the intention of having it CPOd and then you buying it from the dealer?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Audi does not offer extended warranties (except CPO cars). Dealers often sell warranties through Fidelity. You can buy one from Fidelity direct typically for less than from the dealer. Note that none of the extended warranties will cover every single thing that the OEM warranty covers. They can also include deductibles.

Another option, since the car is likely under 50K miles, is a possible CPO arrangement. Your dad would work with the dealer that is selling his new car to buy the old one back from him and resell it to you as a CPO. The dealer will charge about $2-2.5K to CPO the car plus a fee for the transaction paperwork. The CPO warranty would add to whatever OEM warranty is left and should cost significantly less than aftermarket extended warranties and would be easier for any Audi dealer to cover repairs.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Audi (Fildelity) Platinum warranty is prob one of the best you can get for the car for the most comprehensive coverage. I bought it on my previous S6 (V10) and certainly got my money's worth. Talk to you dealer's finance guy and take a look at what mileage intervals the price increases...the longer you wait, the more it will cost. However it's silly to have an extended warranty too soon while you're still covered under the factory warranty, so you just have to find that sweet spot on when to pull the trigger.
And these newer cars seem to be more reliable than previous generations..
You can price shop and buy it from any Audi dealer.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks very much for your thoughts! Indeed I thought about the CPO idea too. This S6 is pretty well loaded, so it seems reasonable with all the advanced tech that I might want to keep it for a very long time. I'll see what the Audi dealer can offer on the Fidelity and perhaps the CPO if they're amenable to that. Does anyone know what the dealer's cost on the CPO is?

Just a tangent on this for fun:
I made another call before these messages to a company called United Car [Care?] that seemed to be priced a bit similar to USAA I found by Googling. Just for reference, they offered a plan they said was a mirror of the factory warranty, you can take it to the dealer or any ASE certified shop, covered rental car coverage, towing, etc. with $100 deductible. They offered me $5,093 ($395 deposit & $261 each month for 18 months) to cover 6 years from now and to 100K on the odometer. That's effectively 4.5 years beyond the factory warranty.

$5K is a ton of money, and they plan to make money on the warranty of course. I suppose therefore you plan to lose money, but it's risk mitigation of something big like I faced (but got AoA to mostly cover).

I was going to contemplate it when they put on the hard sell that made me feel like they're bordering on fraud. I told them I wanted to see the fine print and all the information to consider it, and they said they couldn't offer that until I put down the $395. I'm already highly skeptical with any warranty program of any kind that they try to make it hard to exercise beyond whatever Audi would offer. I tried to reason with the guy that I'd be an idiot to put anything down without seeing what I'm getting, and to that he said once I pay the down payment, they'll send me the live policy language and I have 20 days to get my money back and cancel. I called bull****.

Not planning to go through with it, I said, "maybe, but I'd need to see that it's refundable etc. in writing." He also said the call was being recorded, so we could use that if there's an issue, and so I said, "fine, so get me a copy of the recording." Again he said they couldn't do that or provide the documentation that the deposit would be refundable, and he said that I could have my credit card company dispute the charge if they don't follow through. Knowing this is a crazy way to do business, I told him no and the guy was really aggressive about it.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

How many miles on the car now? Has it been reliable? Do you think that it will need $6000 worth of fixing between now and 100K miles?

For that kind of money, I would take the risk. 100K miles is not OTT for todays cars to be solid (even for Audi)
Old 09-24-2015, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by schalliol
Does anyone know what the dealer's cost on the CPO is?
See my post above.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Isn't a CPO only valid for 24 months or 50K miles not to exceed a total of 100K?
Old 09-24-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Snagitseven, $2-$2.5k for them charging probably makes sense. I was just trying to figure out what the dealer pays Audi for it.

Yes, a CPO is good for 2 yrs and up to 100k mi.

I agree I'd risk it for 6k, that's a lot! I'd pay $6k for a 150k mi on odo and 8 years after factory warranty on almost loaded S6 though. My only concern with these cars is that there's just so much technology that could go wrong. I'd pay $3k for 8 year total 100k no problem.

It's looking more and more likely I'll just float it, since I don't think there's anything that would adequately cover for a reasonable price.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
Isn't a CPO only valid for 24 months or 50K miles not to exceed a total of 100K?
Yes, 2 extra years or 100K miles. A CPO is somewhat similar to some extended warranties and depending on how many miles will be driven each year, is usually less expensive. Also, would be good at any Audi dealer with no pre-approval process needed since it's backed by the manf. It's an alternative to consider. (Fidelity's Platinum warranty can be 7 yrs/100K miles whichever comes first and will cover more stuff but is almost three times the cost).

"The Certified pre-owned program offers 6 years or 100,000 miles (whichever occurs first) of limited warranty coverage..."

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-24-2015 at 05:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty for 2.5 Year Old Car?