UPgrade AC in 94 Cabrio *Newbie Warning*

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPgrade AC in 94 Cabrio *Newbie Warning*

So just out of curiosity and since its getting insanely hot in the south lately, has anyone ever considered beefing up the AC in their Cabrio? I had mine recharged a while ago and I replaced the blower motor about two years ago but I feel as tho my Cabrio isn't blowing could enough air (granted convertibles are known for having crappy AC), so my question is would it be possible to change the compressor from a higher end A6 or A8 from around the same year into my Cabrio? Would it work? Has anyone done something similiar? Would it be dangerous, too high of a PSI for my system to take? If you could be please so kind as to post pictures and diagrams, I am considering this as my next project during holiday break.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

The problem with the Cabriolet A/C is the insulation foam on the flappers inside the air box drys up and goes away (you might see some small chunks of grey foam in the air vents) then the chilled A/C air is always being mixed with the very hot air from the heater (which is always flowing hot coolant), thus poor A/C. Those holes you see in the picture below are supposed to covered..the insulating foam is gone. There is another inside the air box that was the same way..I used some hi-temp A/C tape and resealed all the flappers..it requires taking the air-box off the car and dis-assembling it..a fiddly job, but worth it

The solution is to remove the dashboard and reseal the flappers..and while you are there..go ahead and do replace the heater core...and I did the evaporator too (on sale from Audi new for $125!). And if your vacuum re-circulation valve is leaking (so you can not close off the hot humid outside air)..replace that too. (also about $125..pretty expensive for what it is) The heater core, evaporator and re-circulation valve require the dash to be pulled out..so just get er-done.

It looks a mess..but is a manageable job on a weekend.

I also replaced my compressor and condenser (the condenser is always a must do it seems on older Audis, years of use they don't flow well) The condenser is not too expensive..it makes a big difference. Insulating the compressor helps too. There is suppose to be a big flexible heat shield between the compressor and the exhaust manifold..I have mine and still insulated the compressor.

A new orifice tube and fresh accumulator..good vacuum and charge of refrigerant. My Cabriolet A/C is uber cold now. Lots of work but well worth it.

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 08-19-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Here are some better pictures from the German Audi Cabriolet website..a better idea of what it is suppose to look like.Audicabrio.info | Faszination & Technik - Das Infoportal