Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

$170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone (northeners) had a chance to see this reverse camera work in freezing condition? ...just curious on durability but might just have to wait and see... Thanks.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome. So, in other words, there is virtually no reason not to get this? ORDERED.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No sure freezing, but when it is pouring outside, lens get wet and it is hard to see. I had to wipe and it is all good. lol We need heated back up camera LOL

Last edited by YuiS3; 11-22-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ValBoo
Has anyone (northeners) had a chance to see this reverse camera work in freezing condition? ...just curious on durability but might just have to wait and see... Thanks.
There's been snow and about 21-24 degree temperatures here! Mine has been working well! No issues with the cold temperatures on this end...at least not yet!
Old 11-28-2014, 02:03 PM
CLH
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mine just came. Ordered it 11/11, so the shipping duration wasn't bad at all. Not sure if I'll get a chance to install this weekend, but I'll be sure to post my impressions when I do get to it.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got mine in the mail today and came with no directions. Thanks so much for this write up as I'd be pretty stuck without them! Install starts tomorrow and excited to have this functioning!
Old 11-28-2014, 05:14 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mroberte
Just got mine in the mail today and came with no directions. Thanks so much for this write up as I'd be pretty stuck without them! Install starts tomorrow and excited to have this functioning!
You bet. This is an incredible deal, especially since the backup camera is pretty much the most glaring omission from most A3s.

Have fun with the install, if you have the MMI+ system it'll be an adventure getting it all stuffed in there!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

@aj6, yes such a great deal and was pretty easy to install granted, really needed to take the whole glovebox out to fit all the cords in the back. Now if only there was a aftermarket memory seat adapter, I'd be in heaven :-P Thank you again!

Just finished installing on a non-navigation basic MMI Radio version. Some notes for those doing the install themselves on the non-navi systems. Bought the tools off of amazon for about 7 bucks.
Amazon.com : Car Radio Stereo, Dash Removal Install Tools (Set of 12) : Electronics Amazon.com : Car Radio Stereo, Dash Removal Install Tools (Set of 12) : Electronics

1) There is a brown plug that will be hard to install as the chinese plug doesn't have the side slits to accomodate. I had to cut out a tab from the holder in order to forcefully slide it in. Sticks out more than expected but the contacts are connected fully.

Connecting the plugs into the new adapter. The brown plug does not fit correctly and you will have to shave some of the plastic off the included aftermarket connector to fit.

All plugs in and fitted. Brown plug sticks out a little more, but its okay.

2) The pink connector is what you plug into the converter box and then use the black cable they provide back into the MMI unit.

Plug Audi Pink plug closest to the edge of box, use supplied cable to bo back into MMI

Supplied cable back into the MMI unit.

As the previous person with the 5inch screen stated, there is no words visible when in reverse mode, just the image and the steering lines. Assuming its all cut-off as well. Really happy with this and will help with parking in SF!

Last edited by mroberte; 11-29-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thanks!

Best $150 ever spent!! Would have gladly paid 2-3x more for this.

Successfully installed in S3 with MMI Base (no nav). Isntall was a breeze, couple beers and a couple hours later and wala!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have S3 without Navigation, what is the difficulty level in 1(easy) to 10(Professional only) scale ?? Because I haven't done anything like this before and do not want to break anything during installation.

Quick Reply: $170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install