Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

$170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought the American made version and so far no issues. Even had a service done with it installed.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T1no33
I've bought the American made version and so far no issues. Even had a service done with it installed.
Which one did you buy?

Has anyone been able to source the OEM parts?
Old 08-03-2015, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HWYDSGNR
Which one did you buy?

Has anyone been able to source the OEM parts?
The dealer I bought my car from has an APR tuning shop right next door. They can do what they called OEM for $1600 installed which was out of control. I got mine from oremorautogroup.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by getabox
Mine quit working after about 8 months. Just posted about it.
Did you exercise the dip switches? Try wiggling all the connections while looking at the screen? That's how I discovered the errant bare wires under the shrink tubing.

Good Luck.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gilou89
For the forum frensh, the green cable this connect 12V permanent, this correct ?
For me I believe connect of the positive back lights

thank you very much
Sorry for the late reply, but you will also need to use a relay (I believe, since the reverse light signal is "dirty". I have a different system, but needed to use a relay to get this to turn on reliably all the time).

Relay: http://amzn.com/B007JPPQH6
From the image, wire 87 should connect to the green wire.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by getabox
Mine quit working after about 8 months. Just posted about it.
Your normal MMI works right? Just black screen when camera "turns on?" I'm having a similiar situation which is turning out to be a faulty loose wire. Or it might be the camera went out. Contact the seller, they were really helpful with me last time I had questions.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Did you exercise the dip switches? Try wiggling all the connections while looking at the screen? That's how I discovered the errant bare wires under the shrink tubing.

Good Luck.
Yeah, tried flipping all the switches, removed the shrink tubing to make sure there was no stripped wires. No luck so far.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mroberte
Your normal MMI works right? Just black screen when camera "turns on?" I'm having a similiar situation which is turning out to be a faulty loose wire. Or it might be the camera went out. Contact the seller, they were really helpful with me last time I had questions.
Indeed, MMI works, parking lines work as well. Just no camera image. Contacted the seller and never received a response.

Any idea what wire yours was?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello,
thank you for the reply mroberte, is it problem with the seller no send from belgium :/

I have receipt my camera kit and i have one problem, look my video for explain :

Do you have one solution for my problem ?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gilou89
Hello,
thank you for the reply mroberte, is it problem with the seller no send from belgium :/

I have receipt my camera kit and i have one problem, look my video for explain :

Caméra de recul AUDI A3 8V - YouTube

Do you have one solution for my problem ?
Sorry for the late response... did you get it working? You will most likely have to put the relay if you are connecting to the rear reverse light.

Also check the black cable that goes from the black box to the MMI unit as that is the cable that provides the video to the screen.

I was having a very similar problem when I took my car into service... the upgraded the ECU which changed the reverse canbus signal. So the box can detect it for a second, but then turns off, then you get just a black screen or it goes to one of the stock screens. Using the reverse gear signal with relay should alleviate this problem now.

Last edited by mroberte; 08-12-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: $170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install