Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

$170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 10:51 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason Jiwoong Yeon
I have S3 without Navigation, what is the difficulty level in 1(easy) to 10(Professional only) scale ?? Because I haven't done anything like this before and do not want to break anything during installation.
Numbers are relative so I'll break it down like this:

The glove box portion can be challenging, mostly if you have to remove the actual glove box like I did. I think you won't have to deal with that since you don't have Nav, because it was reported before that the non-Nav head unit is smaller and it makes routing the components easier.

Removing screws/fasterners/panels is straightforward.

Routing the wiring can be challenging for someone who has never run wire, but there's a million guides online about doing it generically, and the pictures I provided show a simple path that is pretty easy to follow.

The most challenging and time consuming part may be installing the actual camera. You'll need a flashlight to help see behind the trunk liner, and a lot of the actual install is one-handed just because of the lack of access if you choose to not remove the liner entirely, which is how I did it.

As with all projects, set aside ample time so that you can proceed patiently through the steps, and inquire beforehand about specifics if you have any doubts. It's definitely a bit more difficult than something like an oil change, but it's by no means inaccessible to a complete beginner either.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jason Jiwoong Yeon
I have S3 without Navigation, what is the difficulty level in 1(easy) to 10(Professional only) scale ?? Because I haven't done anything like this before and do not want to break anything during installation.
There's a certain delicacy/patience that comes with removing trim panels and other components so that you don't break any of the tabs off.

It is still easier to remove the entire glove box on cars without navigation. Also I thought it was easier to remove the entire trunk lid than trying to use one arm and limited space.

It's not that difficult, but it does take a couple hours if you take your time and try to be gentle on everything (which is what you should do).

Jason - is your S3 Sepang Blue? I was at Bellevue Square on Saturday night and saw an S3 for the first time in the parking garage! Such a great looking color if it is yours!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jason - is your S3 Sepang Blue? I was at Bellevue Square on Saturday night and saw an S3 for the first time in the parking garage! Such a great looking color if it is yours![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice!

Yes sir, I have Sepang Blue, but I haven't been to the Square mall since when i got the S3. =P
Old 12-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm doing the install right now. Everything is working except when I play audio from my phone, it plays only over the little speaker in the middle of the dash, not the door speakers. Subwoofer still plays as well. If I unhook the camera harness and put the blue/green plugs back in regularly, audio goes back to normal. Non-nav car, no B&O. Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hamz01
So I'm doing the install right now. Everything is working except when I play audio from my phone, it plays only over the little speaker in the middle of the dash, not the door speakers. Subwoofer still plays as well. If I unhook the camera harness and put the blue/green plugs back in regularly, audio goes back to normal. Non-nav car, no B&O. Thoughts?
I had the exact same problem and you're going to kick yourself when you hear this... somehow this step is left out of the instructions and original how-to.

You have to disconnect the BROWN 8 pin plug from the OE harness and insert it into the new harness, just like you did with green and blue plug. The brown plug houses the speaker wires and needs to be plugged directly into the harness that plugs into the back of the MMI unit
Old 12-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jmick21
I had the exact same problem and you're going to kick yourself when you hear this... somehow this step is left out of the instructions and original how-to.

You have to disconnect the BROWN 8 pin plug from the OE harness and insert it into the new harness, just like you did with green and blue plug. The brown plug houses the speaker wires and needs to be plugged directly into the harness that plugs into the back of the MMI unit
Haha outstanding. Won't get another crack at it for a few days but thanks for the tip!

Also, the instructions say to unplug the gray plug from the MMI and insert it into the backup camera box. I don't have a gray wire so I did the pink one and I got video from the camera working correctly. Is this what you did as well?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That happened to me too. Damn brown plug! LOL

Originally Posted by hamz01
Haha outstanding. Won't get another crack at it for a few days but thanks for the tip!

Also, the instructions say to unplug the gray plug from the MMI and insert it into the backup camera box. I don't have a gray wire so I did the pink one and I got video from the camera working correctly. Is this what you did as well?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I didn't notice the sound loss until after I put everything back together and had been driving around for a little bit... It definitely took a while to figure out.

Robert mentioned that his brown plug didn't fit into the harness very well, but mine fit just fine.

Yeah the connector is pink, it looks like the pictures posted on the previous page!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I didn't notice the sound loss until after I put everything back together and had been driving around for a little bit... It definitely took a while to figure out.

Robert mentioned that his brown plug didn't fit into the harness very well, but mine fit just fine.

Yeah the connector is pink, it looks like the pictures posted on the previous page!
Many thanks; I appreciate the help.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:41 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

My car (the original write-up install) has a MMI+ Nav head unit, which doesn't have the brown connector issue. Thanks to those who've posted the steps for that though!

Quick Reply: $170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install