Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Anyone use this Android screen replacement in their A3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work! Did you manage to get the touch dial working?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately no as I couldn't figure out the pinouts and if the pad worked off of x/y axis coordinates. The company that manufactures the touchpad didn't have any info that could help either.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update: Using the Google Now voice commands after upgrading the microphone to Olympus mic. Looking for a bluetooth solution.

Update again: Tapped into the stock microphone as I wanted a solution that didn't require me to change batteries (the olympus). The microphone works at lower speeds, but the car is just too loud from the tires mainly to work all the time. Tried using another microphone that took 12V but didn't work.

Last edited by mroberte; 08-30-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sub'd
Old 05-29-2015, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone ever see this get this an as option?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A3-GPS-Navigation-System-Maps-Radio-Dash-Rear-Camera-Smart-Mirror-/231557016538?fits=Year%3A2015%7CMake%3AAudi%7CModel%3AA3&hash=item35e9dfabda&vxp=mtr
Old 08-30-2015, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Needed to use a hot glue gun to "Strengthen" the LVDS wire as I was getting flickering from the screen moving from open/close. The wires are incredibly fragile so this is highly recommended to do before installation.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got one of these units and looking over the kit. I noticed a couple things..

How did you connect to the fuse panel, did you just use a fuse tap?
how about connecting the power harness the CAN, CAN2, aux and other wires, did you just cut back the wire, splice and solder?

Where did you tap the stock microphone into the navitouch, where did you find the microphone wire?

The installation video and the printed instructions they include do not talk at all about connecting these wires. The schematic they include is very basic. How did you sort this all out, or will it just make sense when I take everything apart.

Last edited by dryale; 12-09-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dryale
I got one of these units and looking over the kit. I noticed a couple things..

How did you connect to the fuse panel, did you just use a fuse tap?
how about connecting the power harness the CAN, CAN2, aux and other wires, did you just cut back the wire, splice and solder?

Where did you tap the stock microphone into the navitouch, where did you find the microphone wire?

The installation video and the printed instructions they include do not talk at all about connecting these wires. The schematic they include is very basic. How did you sort this all out, or will it just make sense when I take everything apart.
1) Fuse, I just used a fuse tap that I got at my local auto store.
2) Tapping into the Can H/L wires, I just did as the instructions stated splicing/soldering, however I'd use a positap type of connector as its a ton easier.
3) I already had the wire up in the headliner for the microphone, so I soldered the leads directly on the microphone. You can get to the wires closer to the MMI from the back and use the positap again to convert the wire over to the 2.5mm mic jack. You will find on the lower left of the plug that goes into the MMI #1 is postive and #7 is negative.

Can find the wiring diagram at: Pin Out / Wiring Diagram (Rear LED cluster) | Audi-Sport.net

When you get everything all taken apart, its much easier to see the many wires that you'll be dealing with. Take you time too and get zip ties for better cable management. The wire that is the most crucial is the LDVS going into the monitor since it moves with the up/down motion of the screen.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks those wiring diagrams are perfect.

Yea those posi-taps are great, i was planning on using them for everything rather then stripping all the wires. If i run into intermittent problems I may consider soldering but i think they will work perfect.

Out of curiosity, did you place the GPS in the recommended location like in the NaviTouch installation video? If not where did you place it and what was the reason?

I tried removing the side pillar to place the GPS there, but for the life of me i was unable to remove it. I was able to get the top unscrewed, and the clip released by sliding up. But it was stuck down in the corner underneath the windshield and edge/corner of the dashboard. Is there any screw, tab or anything?? The odd thing is that there is up/downwards play like I can slide it up and down. but it just wont come out.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dryale
Thanks those wiring diagrams are perfect.

Yea those posi-taps are great, i was planning on using them for everything rather then stripping all the wires. If i run into intermittent problems I may consider soldering but i think they will work perfect.

Out of curiosity, did you place the GPS in the recommended location like in the NaviTouch installation video? If not where did you place it and what was the reason?

I tried removing the side pillar to place the GPS there, but for the life of me i was unable to remove it. I was able to get the top unscrewed, and the clip released by sliding up. But it was stuck down in the corner underneath the windshield and edge/corner of the dashboard. Is there any screw, tab or anything?? The odd thing is that there is up/downwards play like I can slide it up and down. but it just wont come out.
I think the posi-taps should be good, I ended up soldering mine, but it was such a headache.

I ended up moving my GPS to the top of the window, to the right of the Rear view mirror and as close to the headliner. I literally can't see it at all without looking. The lower location worked, but sometimes lost connection.

As for the side pillar piece, the first time I did it, I also couldn't get it off. So when you remove the bolt from the top, pull up and out. Then when you have it moved up some, wiggle the lower section out as well. I think there is another "click" connection that is holding it in. Make sure to also not yank it out because you'll damage the tweeter wires, so disconnect those as soon as you can grab them.

Let me know if you have any extra questions. In a few weeks I think I might do a better write-up as a few have asked, and some of the pieces are really tricky to disassemble.

Also ditch their front end and find AutoMate application (its in beta right now) to use as your launcher. That has dramatically made it so much easier to use the system while driving. It mimics Android Auto quite a bit.

Are you planning on the steering wheel controls? Its a little bit more money but well worth it so you don't have to mess with the screen while driving. Let me know and I can help you out with the parts, etc for that. The piece also taps into the Canbus HI signals. I'm still trying to play around with getting all the buttons on the steering wheel to work, but still have yet to figure out the 3 wire MFSW controls (I thought they were resistive but might be LIN or digital signals).

Last edited by mroberte; 12-11-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone use this Android screen replacement in their A3?