Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Fuse Panel next to steering column

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 01:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse Panel next to steering column

How do you pry open the fuse box panel next to steering column and next to headlight controls for 2017 a3. I've tried pulling it by hand. It the marked areas are super hard to pull and manual doesn't state how open. Need to change a fuse out for interior lighting because I was swapping interior lights for led and when I got to glovebox it sparked and now no interior lights are work including trunk. Bought bulbs from ecs tuning and would have been nice if they wrote in their instructions to unplug the wire for glovebox bulb since current is always running once you open glovebox. Instead it just says to pry it open and swap bulb out. I didn't put bulb in perfectly bc it's so tight in that glove box and can't see and as LED wiggles into spot it sparked everything. Apparently, f29 7.5 amp brown fuse needs to be replaced. Can anyone help or let me know if I'm choosing the right fuse to replace? It is only a fuse that needs to be replaced, right? Appreciate any help!
Old 12-03-2016, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bump
Old 12-03-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by score0412
Bump
You bought the ziza lights?. Strange that it sparked. Didn't happen on mine. It was straight forward. The trunk was also lit and had no problems. I'm sure if you look in the owners manual it will tell you how to open it
Old 12-03-2016, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, bought ziza ones. Looked in owner's manual and no real instruction. It just has two arrows pointing how and which corner of panel comes off but doesn't say how. Literally, used a lot of hand force and nothing. I feel like if I tug it to the max I'm definitely going to break tab or panel or something.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same problem. I don't want to pull too hard and break it. Especially since there is an "airbag" sign on the cover.
Did you manage to open it?
I don't want to pay my dealer $90/hour just to replace a fuse.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jeanpierredemontigny
I have the same problem. I don't want to pull too hard and break it. Especially since there is an "airbag" sign on the cover.
Did you manage to open it?
I don't want to pay my dealer $90/hour just to replace a fuse.
Went to the dealership with my gf and asked tech from service advisor if they can show us how to open it, he came over and yanked it with good force and panel opened up. Literally, took him 3 seconds and no charge. Go into the dealership and tell service advisor you blew a fuse and see the airbag sign and if they can show you how to open it. There's no way they will go out of their way to charge you. I even went on a saturday when it's lighter work for the techs (oil changes and tire rotations). Go on a saturday afternoon without an appointment and just make it sound as small of a problem and then a tech will come by to open it. Or, as I just wrote, open it yourself but use a lot of force. There is an airbag system there but it sure can/does scare someone to open it in case you think you will engage it which it didn't at all. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. Will try this. I actually went to the dealership today. The tech rep (after checking with mechanics) showed me how to open the side panel. I did that when I got home but this is wrong. This is where fuses were in older models.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quick update. I tried again pulling hard and not worrying about the air bag and it worked. Thanks for the instructions.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

fantastic! Glad you got it done and yes, tech thought it was on side also but it's not the case.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Fuse changed. I should have come here first rather than drive all the way to the dealer. The internet come through again!