Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How to mirror your phone on the MMI screen

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

good point
Old 02-10-2016, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am confused, because the phone's micro usb is being used by the HDMI output dongle. Also I purchased the suggested HDMI RCA converter and mine has a female MINI usb port which it is unclear whether that is power out or in. PS: The Goliton? did work in my car. I got the unsupported message. Going to spring for the Audi part and see if i get better results.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, I see, you don't have an iPhone.

Here's what I was saying:
  • Apple realized if you were to use video out, you'd want to charge the phone at the same time
  • They invinted the lightning port that could do lots of different things based on the chip inside the cables
  • Their HDMI adapter has a port you can plug a Lightning cable into such that you have charging and HDMI out in one port.
  • The HDMI to composite AV converter has a micro-USB port
  • So, in this case, you use a two port 12VDC to 5V 4A charger and run a USB-Micro USB cable to the HDMI converter and a Lightning cable to the Apple HDMI adapter.

I don't know how it would be done on an Android, but it probably depends on which one it is.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Oh, I see, you don't have an iPhone.

Here's what I was saying:
  • Apple realized if you were to use video out, you'd want to charge the phone at the same time
  • They invinted the lightning port that could do lots of different things based on the chip inside the cables
  • Their HDMI adapter has a port you can plug a Lightning cable into such that you have charging and HDMI out in one port.
  • The HDMI to composite AV converter has a micro-USB port
  • So, in this case, you use a two port 12VDC to 5V 4A charger and run a USB-Micro USB cable to the HDMI converter and a Lightning cable to the Apple HDMI adapter.

I don't know how it would be done on an Android, but it probably depends on which one it is.
So the mini-usb on the RCA adapter is power out?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ahyaman718
So the mini-usb on the RCA adapter is power out?
take a look at this image again.
the mini usb powers the box
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2016, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Of course Mark is right on. What I do is add a dual port high power 12VDC USB charger the pictured USB cable plugs into and then add a lightning cable on the other USB out and plug it in below the spot where the HDMI plugs into on the Apple adapter
Old 02-12-2016, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So can you drive with google maps displayed on the screen and listen to the radio?
Old 02-12-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, with Audi's Google Earth you can, but you can't listen to non phone audio and display phone screen. You can use an app like tune in radio from your phone and Google Maps on your phone
Old 02-12-2016, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh ok. So just to confirm, you could mirror Google maps to the mmi screen and listen to your Pandora or whatever through your car speakers?
Old 02-12-2016, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, but only if it's through the lightning cable output and not Bluetooth audio

Quick Reply: How to mirror your phone on the MMI screen