Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How to mirror your phone on the MMI screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjc23
I bought the same set up so how do I get it onto the screen of my car because it's black and not mirroring my phone. Thanks

Hello!

All of the work was posted here: Click here to view (in English) the translated thread

Abstract, when you got all of the things, you need to setup the Chromecast in the WiFi of your house. When the setup is completed, in your car you can connect the Chromecast through your mobile device, sharing Wifi connection. But this connection must have the same Wifi_ID and WIFI_PASS that the wifi of your house (or the wifi that you completed the Chromecast setup)

regards!
Old 11-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Very interested in using Android Auto app on my smartphone now that is can be used without an Android Auto headunit. Could you tell us about how the mirroring works to the Chromecast. When we plug in the usb cable between the Chromecast and the smartphone, are we mirroring via the usb cable, or are mirroring via miracast? Is the purpose of the multiple headed usb cable just for power to all the components? Do you have to turn on mirroring on the smartphone. Thanks for your help.
Hello!

You need this application to mirroring the smartphone: Google Home App

Open the app, and in the left menu, you only need to enable Mirroring this device!
The connection used the shared wifi that your smartphone have.

regards!
Old 12-05-2016, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ravjeet
Hi need some help
Have connected every thing as explained .
My car (Audi A6 2012 ) is VIM unlocked has a 6 DVD changer, no issue in video playing when car is moving can even play video from SD card.
But in my AUX SOURCE screen it shows only AUDIO IN and not VIDEO IN . Do I need to change any setting in the system to activate it.
I am using HTC10 android and not Iphone.
Thanks in advance
I am having the exact same problem. The MMI recognizes the AMI cable as an audio cable, but as you can see in the image below, it is audio and video. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get it to recognize video? I too have a 2012 A6.
Thank you!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jmcjclark
I am having the exact same problem. The MMI recognizes the AMI cable as an audio cable, but as you can see in the image below, it is audio and video. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get it to recognize video? I too have a 2012 A6.
Thank you!
Hello!

Do you check the AMI-RCA cable? It is broken

Here a couple of colleagues had the same problem as you. When you have the cable plugged in, try to move it by hand, surely in a position you recognize it as video and the Chromecast is displayed on the screen.

They bought the cable through amazon and asked to replace it. With the
new cable no longer had any problems.

For example, with the bad video cable:
Audio Source

With the correcto video cable:
Video Source

Change the cable
regards!

Last edited by FrA1l3; 12-07-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you!

does your a6 have a dvd player in the glovebox? pretty sure that is needed
Old 12-07-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It does have a DVD player, plays video just fine through DVD, SD, and HDD (via AMI USB). I've asked the seller from Amazon to send a replacement, and I've ordered an OEM one from my local dealership. I will report my findings.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just picked up the genuine Audi part from the dealership and it works great. It would appear that the cheap cord from Amazon was the issue. The seller from Amazon is still sending me a new one, I will test that one when it gets here and report back.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FrA1l3
Hello!

All of the work was posted here: Click here to view (in English) the translated thread

Abstract, when you got all of the things, you need to setup the Chromecast in the WiFi of your house. When the setup is completed, in your car you can connect the Chromecast through your mobile device, sharing Wifi connection. But this connection must have the same Wifi_ID and WIFI_PASS that the wifi of your house (or the wifi that you completed the Chromecast setup)

regards!
for the life of me I still cannot get this to work. I bought an oem ami rca cable and I have the option to select ami but the screen is black. I heard it is supposed to be blue. can't get the chromecast to work. I set it up at home but still nothing I'm stuck
Old 12-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just picked up the genuine Audi part from the dealership and it works great. It would appear that the cheap cord from Amazon was the issue. The seller from Amazon is still sending me a new one, I will test that one when it gets here and report back.
I glad to read this! regards !
Old 12-10-2016, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jjc23
for the life of me I still cannot get this to work. I bought an oem ami rca cable and I have the option to select ami but the screen is black. I heard it is supposed to be blue. can't get the chromecast to work. I set it up at home but still nothing I'm stuck
In the MMI when you are selecting the source, is the option "external video source" or "external audio source." I would tell you that my screen is black until I connect it to something.
If you are using one of those cheap hdmi to rca adapters from Amazon, remember they too need to be powered. When I unplug mine, I also get a black screen.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: How to mirror your phone on the MMI screen