Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

My A3 Journey/Build (B16 Ride Control Arrived today!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
I don't know, I'm liking what I've read about the JB1 and soon (maybe) to be released JB4. I agree too that coil-overs should improve the handling and overall nature of this car. How much of a drop did you experience with the coil-overs? Are they adjustable?
Ya the JB1 is definitely better/smarter purchase over the Nuespeed, but want to really go all out as was reading the JB4 on the BMW's is pretty insane with the HP increase. Currently I'm at the point where I seriously want more power from this engine in the higher revs.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mroberte
Ya the JB1 is definitely better/smarter purchase over the Nuespeed, but want to really go all out as was reading the JB4 on the BMW's is pretty insane with the HP increase. Currently I'm at the point where I seriously want more power from this engine in the higher revs.
I had the JB1/JB2/JB3/JB4 for my '07 335i twin turbo inline 6. I journeyed with Terry from the start to my end. His customer service is unprecedented, his upgrade policy amazing. His price points were excellent.
Without a true ECU-based tune, it is an excellent product. Coming from my APR chipped 01' S4, I definitely noticed the difference between the piggy back unit and an ECU tune. Back now with my A3 on the APR 93 octane tune, I can also say that the ECU tune feels more 'right', IMHO. Don't get me wrong, the JB* are amazing, but for when I'm not going *****-out, partial throttle on an ECU tune, for me, is a better driving experience.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by daves4
I had the JB1/JB2/JB3/JB4 for my '07 335i twin turbo inline 6. I journeyed with Terry from the start to my end. His customer service is unprecedented, his upgrade policy amazing. His price points were excellent.
Without a true ECU-based tune, it is an excellent product. Coming from my APR chipped 01' S4, I definitely noticed the difference between the piggy back unit and an ECU tune. Back now with my A3 on the APR 93 octane tune, I can also say that the ECU tune feels more 'right', IMHO. Don't get me wrong, the JB* are amazing, but for when I'm not going *****-out, partial throttle on an ECU tune, for me, is a better driving experience.
Unfortuantely I live in California and have to deal with CARB issues, so piggybacks are somewhat one of the only options I can really do. I don't think there is any intake (maybe APR) that are even carb certified. I use to have a Honda before and smog tech are a stickler for the whole process and just don't want to deal with the headache like I went through before.

The tunes are incredibly enticing as well but I don't want to also have to deal with any future dealership issues with warranty.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Installed sunglass holder and got center console organizer tray.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Installed sunglass holder and got center console organizer tray.
Where did you end up ordering the organizer tray and sunglass holder from?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CalSam
Where did you end up ordering the organizer tray and sunglass holder from?
Got them from Aliexpress. Direct links are: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post24714721

I've been obsessed lately with that site, ordering tons of stuff for the car. Just ordered the grocery hooks, dashcam with front/rear recording and extra USB ports.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, I have to ask you how did you learn all this stuff? I have taught myself some things over the years but you appear to have (as my son would say) leveled up. lol

I asked several places around here to install the B16s in my car and NO ONE would touch it. I've finally settled and ordered KW V1 system for my car paired with Avant Garde M590s. I would never be able to install on my own like you did.

I've enjoyed your build thread and learned a lot from it.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by T1no33
So, I have to ask you how did you learn all this stuff? I have taught myself some things over the years but you appear to have (as my son would say) leveled up. lol

I asked several places around here to install the B16s in my car and NO ONE would touch it. I've finally settled and ordered KW V1 system for my car paired with Avant Garde M590s. I would never be able to install on my own like you did.

I've enjoyed your build thread and learned a lot from it.
Hahaha... as a kid I would get new toys and immediately dismantle them. In fear of my parents finding out, I'd try and figure out how to put it back together - and quickly - tho with leftover parts usually. I was always a curious tinkerer/nerdy kid, and always wanted to know how things worked. My dad is also a mechanic so I grew up around a shop which was like a "sandbox" to me. I do Design as my profession now and still lets me be curious and creative, come to understand that I need to use my hands and not really a "book" learner.

During college, my Acura's, built 4 engines by hand (for the most part, minus milling), one out of curiosity and two out of challenged which benefitted me on the track. Learned a lot, but originally wanted to be a mechanical engineer to build smaller but higher output engines... this was my attempt. Raced a Pontiac G8 once and actually stayed ahead of him the whole time. I was SOOO proud of my lil high compression, bigger bored, 4 banger!

The coilovers were actually intimidating to me in the beginning, mainly because I came from Honda world which is super basic. German cars are definitely more over engineered and tend to be a struggle at times to manually fix. However all in all, the install took me a few hours, was pretty straight forward. Just youtube saved my butt a lot for research on how to get everything off and let me know exactly what tools I needed to get the job done. But I was really limited on shops actually wanting to install the coilovers, and the few that did wanted to charge me far more than I was willing to spend (the electrical was not even included in their install prices). Luckily my father still has a shop which is available to me so its easy to do things, cuz being under the car with jack stands still freaks me out.

But if you have or need a question answered, let me know. This car is fascinating to me as its just one big computer on wheels, allowing me to be a nerd. Also I just don't trust most to touch my cars as I usually had bad experiences and don't like lazy mechanics, so I just do it myself and very "white glove".

Very happy with this car now with all the mods, finally at the level that I expected when I originally purchased the car - and also what Audi really should make standard for the price of this thing - its def not a cheap car and I bought the cheapest one! I still regret not getting the base S3 tho jsut for the extra HP.

Last edited by mroberte; 09-09-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

New purchase!!

As stated above, regret not getting the S3 for the added HP/Tq, but just ordered a Burgermotorsports JB1 which should get me close to S3 territory.

Last edited by mroberte; 09-09-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

New purchase!!

As stated above, regret not getting the S3 for the added HP/Tq, but just ordered a Burgermotorsports JB1 which should get me close to S3 territory.
Even though I have APR now, I had JB on my BMW. You'll love it and you'll love Terry's attention to customer satisfaction. Never seen better.

Quick Reply: My A3 Journey/Build (B16 Ride Control Arrived today!)