Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 10:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Siri and A3/S3 not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confirming - uses iPhone mic

Hi folks driving an A3 etron here.

Confirming that if you hold down the button on your iPhone to bring up Siri and you are connected to MMI via Bluetooth then there is a small Bluetooth icon on the Siri screen which lets you choose which audio input to use for Siri.

It defaults to MMI but you can swap that to the iPhone mic because MMI input doesn't work for Siri (it works when you are in a call of course). But in my opinion this an appalling bug - I hired a Hyundai i3 and even that system initiated the microphone when you hold down the button for Siri.

I'm aware that the MMI has its own voice recognition but it's no were near as intelligent and is super slow.

The best possible fix would be if you could disable the internal voice command because now I have a useless button on my steering wheel... I'll always be pressing the button on my phone (which is dangerous!)
Old 09-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just picked up a used 2015 A3 Premium Plus with no nav. I was able to link my iphone via bluetooth and was listening to Spotify without any problem. I was enjoying my three hour drive home (I bought it out of state) when... voila! A text message came through and my alert dinged over the car speakers! I pressed and held (not a single press) the voice command button on the steering column and Siri came on! I asked Siri to read my text and she did. I was able to call up Siri for all kinds of things during my drive home and it was a lot of fun.

Forward to the next day..... and my iphone is connecting via bluetooth just fine. However, when I press and hold the voice command button, no Siri. Just the internal voice prompt saying "Cancel". I am able to press and hold my home button on the iphone and Siri does come up over the car speakers. But obviously being able to use the handsfree concept of the steering wheel controls is so much easier and safer than having to fumble around for the phone and the home button.

I have tried disconnecting the handsfree components and then reconnecting. Didn't work. I may try disconnecting from MMI, then turning off bluetooth on my phone, and then starting all over again.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

des: yes, that is correct, you can then pic the phone microphone on the iPhone it's self.

Znfo: the non-nav version MMI works with Siri, if you read the early post on this thread you'll read that - not sure what happened on day two
Old 09-17-2015, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zformation
I just picked up a used 2015 A3 Premium Plus with no nav. I was able to link my iphone via bluetooth and was listening to Spotify without any problem. I was enjoying my three hour drive home (I bought it out of state) when... voila! A text message came through and my alert dinged over the car speakers! I pressed and held (not a single press) the voice command button on the steering column and Siri came on! I asked Siri to read my text and she did. I was able to call up Siri for all kinds of things during my drive home and it was a lot of fun.

Forward to the next day..... and my iphone is connecting via bluetooth just fine. However, when I press and hold the voice command button, no Siri. Just the internal voice prompt saying "Cancel". I am able to press and hold my home button on the iphone and Siri does come up over the car speakers. But obviously being able to use the handsfree concept of the steering wheel controls is so much easier and safer than having to fumble around for the phone and the home button.

I have tried disconnecting the handsfree components and then reconnecting. Didn't work. I may try disconnecting from MMI, then turning off bluetooth on my phone, and then starting all over again.
Was the phone charging the first day when you did this? Siri is set to open to voice command(aka "Hey Siri") while charging. If your phone was charging and connected by bluetooth, pressing the voice command button activates the mic and Siri will pick up on it. If it's not charging, then all you will get is that "Cancel" response, as the mic is not connected since Siri is not set to listen. I don't know if that explains it, but that's my take on how it works.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by illmatic41
Was the phone charging the first day when you did this? Siri is set to open to voice command(aka "Hey Siri") while charging. If your phone was charging and connected by bluetooth, pressing the voice command button activates the mic and Siri will pick up on it. If it's not charging, then all you will get is that "Cancel" response, as the mic is not connected since Siri is not set to listen. I don't know if that explains it, but that's my take on how it works.
Thanks illmatic. "Hey Siri" is a prompt you control through your iphone itself. Settings> General> Allow "Hey Siri"> On or Off. Mine is on. But I never actually use it so maybe I'll turn it off and try again. Just for the heck of it.

It still baffles me how it worked the first time I connected to MMI, now it doesn't.... something changed but I don't know what....
Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm having a similar issue with my 2016 s3 and my android phone using Google Now. For those that don't know, Google now is similar to Siri in that I can say "OK Google" and it will listen to my requests.

When I first get in my car, connect to bluetooth, and say OK Google the phone will "ding" (through the car speakers) to let me know it's listening. When I ask it the weather, or to navigate home, or whatever else, it will answer via voice (again, through the car speakers) and show the results on the screen. This only works the first time.

On any additional OK Google requests, the phone still listens, but it does not "ding" to alert me that it is listening. It will still answer requests, but again, only visually on screen, not through audio, as if it has been silenced. However, music still plays as expected (streaming via bluetooth from my phone), and phone calls come though correctly as well.

This may be the wrong place to ask since it's a Siri discussion, but I have a feeling it might be the same setting (or bug) that's causing the issue.

Anyone figure out a way to resolve this?
Old 09-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting update, liquid6908. I don't use "hey Siri" (or in your case "ok google") in the car (I found it to be less reliable than using the voice command button on the steering column). But heck, maybe I'll give that a try.

Do you have to manually connect to MMI each time you enter the car? Mine does find my phone automatically without trouble. It's just interesting that the first time I connected to MMI, the voice command button on the steering column worked with my iphone, but now it doesn't.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My phone does connect automatically whenever I start up the car as well. Funny enough, the button on the steering wheel doesn't do anything to my phone as far as I can tell- it launches the car's built in voice control, not google now.

Why can't this stuff just work? It's part of the reason I ALMOST waited until next year's model, hoping Android Auto and Carplay would be available and solve these kind of issues. In the end I was too impatient and pulled the trigger. Also, I bet Android Auto/Carplay will require purchase of the NAV package, which I did not want. Hopefully we'll figure out a way to iron this out.

To be fair I haven't taken the time to poke around with all the settings in the MMI or in google's app but with the weekend approaching, I know what I'll be doing. I'll come back and update with anything I discover.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I listened to this video Audi Video Help & Tutorials | Audi USA and may have found the missing link! Something about the 'external voice recognition enabled' and 'restart speech dialog system'. Neither of these prompts are familiar to me. But I will check it out.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zformation
I listened to this video Audi Video Help & Tutorials | Audi USA and may have found the missing link! Something about the 'external voice recognition enabled' and 'restart speech dialog system'. Neither of these prompts are familiar to me. But I will check it out.
Which video? That link led to all of them.

It's not beyond the possibility, but a lot of people have called AOA and they confirmed that it does work, it would be surprising that there is a fix in a basic video, but stranger things...

Quick Reply: Siri and A3/S3 not working