Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2010 A5 S-line front suspension creaking/rattling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 A5 S-line front suspension creaking/rattling?

Hello,

I've been trying to isolate the source of the horrible creaking/rattling coming from (I think) the suspension on front end/driver's side, but i've had no luck and thought I'd ask here.

I hear this awful sound when coming to a stop, or making a right hand turn (weight shift to left during turn emphasizes problem I think). I can also feel some vibration through the floor under the dead pedal when this happens. No creaking when driving straight and no vibration in the steering wheel at all.

So far I've had upper control arm bushings and sway bar links replaced to no avail. Both were worn/torn. (80,000 miles)

Anyone have any ideas or experienced anything similar?

Also, its always worse in the afternoon than in the morning. May be heat related (AZ).

Thanks,
Old 07-13-2016, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default upper control arm bushings? Unusual, most people

Originally Posted by Achilles0010
Hello,

I've been trying to isolate the source of the horrible creaking/rattling coming from (I think) the suspension on front end/driver's side, but i've had no luck and thought I'd ask here.

I hear this awful sound when coming to a stop, or making a right hand turn (weight shift to left during turn emphasizes problem I think). I can also feel some vibration through the floor under the dead pedal when this happens. No creaking when driving straight and no vibration in the steering wheel at all.

So far I've had upper control arm bushings and sway bar links replaced to no avail. Both were worn/torn. (80,000 miles)

Anyone have any ideas or experienced anything similar?

Also, its always worse in the afternoon than in the morning. May be heat related (AZ).

Thanks,
have the entire control arm(s) replaced because the ball joints are often loose by that time.
Consider there are also lower control arms with their own ball joints. Have them checked and consider replacing.

Sway bar links ok, but consider lubricating the swaybar bushings. You can squirt some aerosol grease in there (split bushing, find the split) or remove the bushings and grease them by hand with waterproof grease. If I went to the trouble of removing the bushings I'd likely drill and tap them for a zerk fitting.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you may want to have the wheel bearings checked out. Wheel hub and bearings come as one assembly on this car. I had a similar problem on my S5 and it turned out my front wheel bearings were shot.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Only problem with that is most shops are incompetent

Originally Posted by NOFX
you may want to have the wheel bearings checked out. Wheel hub and bearings come as one assembly on this car. I had a similar problem on my S5 and it turned out my front wheel bearings were shot.
to do so. I took my 2K4.2A6Q to a normally good Audi dealer and asked them to check the wheel bearings. No problem they said but noise persisted. I eventually put the car up on jack stands and let the wheels turn in gear. The bad bearing was easily detected when I walked around the car and the RF wheel bearing was lots noisier than the others.

BTW, it didn't FEEL bad, it didn't have a lot of play in it, etc., but replacing it (somewhere around 105K miles IIRC) solved the problem. It was just one bearing assembly as well. These are pretty good items and you just replace them as they fail which could be several hundred thousand miles!