Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Sold my 2007 RS4, picked up a 2014 RS5.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold my 2007 RS4, picked up a 2014 RS5.

Replaced my daily driver. I've officially hit old man age and like it for traffic driving.

A slight amount of remorse. The RS4 certainly felt more cathartic. Cheers to the new owner.
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It sure does seem rare these days for an automaker to make a car that is subjectively better on all fronts than its predecessor* regardless of how good the car actually is.

What about the RS4 do you prefer over the RS5? I had an S5 and thought about trading up to an RS5 but at the end of the day couldn't deal with a 4000+ lb car because I've always driven a small two-seater.

*I realize the RS5 is not a direct successor to the RS4 but it's still a fairly obvious upgrade path.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:04 PM
jgd
Banned

congratulations great choice!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I made the same change a while back.

Loved my RS4 and IMO it was the more special car and engaging drive but it was time for a change (even if it was for change's sake).

RS5 does everything right but doesn't quite press the buttons like the B7 RS4 did.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by blinsc
It sure does seem rare these days for an automaker to make a car that is subjectively better on all fronts than its predecessor* regardless of how good the car actually is.

What about the RS4 do you prefer over the RS5? I had an S5 and thought about trading up to an RS5 but at the end of the day couldn't deal with a 4000+ lb car because I've always driven a small two-seater.

*I realize the RS5 is not a direct successor to the RS4 but it's still a fairly obvious upgrade path.
The S5 is a small two seater? IMO the S5, while a tiny bit lighter than the RS, feels heavier real world and more ponderous.

As to the other point, people have been saying this about everything since time began. It's called nostalgia and its human nature

Most people think they can be objective but they really can't. Emotion and youthful perspective are inexorably linked to a point in time and make the products of that time seem better in hindsight. This is also why old people since time began insist young people are "all idiots" and that the world is ending

Videogames aren't fun anymore, music has no rhythm anymore, on and on.

10 years from now RS4 guys will still be waxing nostalgic, joined by 2014 RS5 guys who will argue they're wrong and both will be viewed as nuts by the 2025 RS whatever fans

The objective fact is that cars are getting more efficient, more durable, more accessible and faster.

The RS5 is my first Audi since 1988 and I like it a lot. I checked out a friends RS6 and another friends last Gen RS4 and found I had no interest in either car nor could I fathom their emotional connection

Had I owned them new back then and driven them for years the perspective would likely be different. Purely subjective

For every person that will argue car XYZ is disconnected or lacks soul compared to ABC, you can find ten who will argue the same about ABC vs the (even older) DEF.

In these debates I often wait for someone to just take it back to the Model A
Old 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mlambert890
The S5 is a small two seater? IMO the S5, while a tiny bit lighter than the RS, feels heavier real world and more ponderous.

As to the other point, people have been saying this about everything since time began. It's called nostalgia and its human nature

Most people think they can be objective but they really can't. Emotion and youthful perspective are inexorably linked to a point in time and make the products of that time seem better in hindsight. This is also why old people since time began insist young people are "all idiots" and that the world is ending

Videogames aren't fun anymore, music has no rhythm anymore, on and on.

10 years from now RS4 guys will still be waxing nostalgic, joined by 2014 RS5 guys who will argue they're wrong and both will be viewed as nuts by the 2025 RS whatever fans

The objective fact is that cars are getting more efficient, more durable, more accessible and faster.

The RS5 is my first Audi since 1988 and I like it a lot. I checked out a friends RS6 and another friends last Gen RS4 and found I had no interest in either car nor could I fathom their emotional connection

Had I owned them new back then and driven them for years the perspective would likely be different. Purely subjective

For every person that will argue car XYZ is disconnected or lacks soul compared to ABC, you can find ten who will argue the same about ABC vs the (even older) DEF.

In these debates I often wait for someone to just take it back to the Model A
I guess I wasn't clear, but what I meant was, the cars I've had other than the S5 have been small two-seaters. That's all.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

+1 to all your points. Wanted to comment on the above. The <4000 lbs curb weight of the S5 is that of a 6MT with no sport diff. Once you add S-tronic and sport diff, which are standard on the RS5, the S5 is actually heavier than the RS5 by quite a bit. The RS5 also does a much better job at hiding its weight. The primary reason for that is the selective torque vectoring on all four wheels. The RS5 rotates much more willingly and is easier to fling around, because around corners it applies the brakes to the inner front and rear wheels in addition to the sport diff overdriving the outer rear wheel to create an additional yaw moment. The following is a good video that explains the torque vectoring on the RS5 in addition to the new crown gear center diff. It's also important to separate the 6MT S5 from the S-tronic S5, not only because of the weight difference, but the former is still stuck with the older generation quattro system with torsen center diff. Only if you opt for the S-tronic do you get the better crown gear center diff, but still no torque vectoring beyond the sport diff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_09y0SwOrkA

Last edited by superswiss; 10-19-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Most people think they can be objective but they really can't. Emotion and youthful perspective are inexorably linked to a point in time and make the products of that time seem better in hindsight.
Just a couple of people's opinions, that's all.

I'm certainly not suggesting that the RS5 is not a good car - I don't think I'll be keeping it for as long as I had my B7 RS4 for though (5 years) as for me the emotional attachment is not quite there.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
+1 to all your points. Wanted to comment on the above. The <4000 lbs curb weight of the S5 is that of a 6MT with no sport diff. Once you add S-tronic and sport diff, which are standard on the RS5, the S5 is actually heavier than the RS5 by quite a bit. The RS5 also does a much better job at hiding its weight. The primary reason for that is the selective torque vectoring on all four wheels. The RS5 rotates much more willingly and is easier to fling around, because around corners it applies the brakes to the inner front and rear wheels in addition to the sport diff overdriving the outer rear wheel to create an additional yaw moment. The following is a good video that explains the torque vectoring on the RS5 in addition to the new crown gear center diff. It's also important to separate the 6MT S5 from the S-tronic S5, not only because of the weight difference, but the former is still stuck with the older generation quattro system with torsen center diff. Only if you opt for the S-tronic do you get the better crown gear center diff, but still no torque vectoring beyond the sport diff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_09y0SwOrkA
thanks for the input.

I drove an S5 and an RS5 back to back. Decided on ordering the RS5 based on the handling in the twisties. At 8k feet above sea level the 450 bhp NA engine did not feel that much better than 333 bhp supercharged engine in the S5. Plus I wanted something different than our 6sp MT S4 besides 2 doors. Icing on the cake is the red brake caliper and sports exhaust options.

Should arrive ~December.
Misano Red Pearl/black leather with carbon fiber inserts.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 10-20-2014 at 03:11 PM.