Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Advice on Purchase S5

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Purchase S5

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the forum and looking to purchase a used S5 in the next 3 months. Finally got motivated after seeing a beautiful S5 in Philadelphia a week ago while I was waiting to cross the street. I think he had the Black Optic Package, black wheels, RS5 grill. I couldn't quite make out the color. It was blackish, charcoal, somewhere in there. Just stunning. I remember saying "whoa" to myself and thinking I need to get moving on this and buy one. I am focusing on between 2012-2015. I'm looking for advice and direction on the following:

1. Should I focus on any specific year? I was leaning towards 2014. Hopefully will find a manual version.
2. What can I expect to pay on out of pocket maintenance per year?
3. Should I get an extended warranty from dealer or aftermarket? If aftermarket, is there a certain aftermarket warranty company that members here like? What should the warranty include? Powertrain, Electrical, Bumper to Bumper? etc etc
4. A list of things my mechanic should check to make sure I don't get a lemon. Is there a list or link somewhere?

A buddy of mine was ranting about how Audi's really start to experience problems after 30K miles and it could get very expensive to fix and that I should avoid.

Any overall advice on the best approach to purchasing would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

BladeRunner
Old 05-01-2016, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great questions and a great choice...

… the color you are considering is probably Daytona Grey - in my opinion, the best color (3 of my nine Audis have been that color).

As you have alluded to, used cars are a crapshoot with respect to reliability. A well cared for Audi is easily a 150,000 mile car. However, abuse adds up fast. The 7-speed S-Tronic is less likely to cause you trouble as the manual may have suffered some abuse. That being said, I have had both a manual S5 and one with the 7-speed S-tronic. Enjoyed them both.

Have you considered a Certified Pre-Owned from Audi - you pay a bit more, but then have the peace-of-mind from unexpected surprises?

Finally, have you considered a lease? My 2104-S4/2013-S5/2014-S5 leases all fell right around 600/month with small money down, maintenance and tire/wheel insurance (all of which have paid off). It is likely a bit more money out of pocket, but no surprises and easy to budget and gap insurance should you ball one up in the canyons.

Below are two images: my S5 and RS5, both in Daytona Grey, one with the grey rotor wheels, on with black - both with Black Optic Pkg.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Attached Images   
Old 05-01-2016, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a nice one. On the east coast. CPO for 6 years/100K from in service date. 16k miles with nice rims and manual. Check and request if Audicare can be thrown in to close the deal, for pre-paid maintenance, 25K, 35K and 45K, as the 15K might have already been done to CPO.

Cars for Sale: Certified 2015 Audi S5 in 3.0T Premium Plus Coupe, Watertown CT: 06795 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

Also, changing out to the RS Honeycomb grille and blackening out the fog surrounds is a DIY of about two hours.

Last edited by lmariorod; 05-01-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BladeRunner77
Hey Everyone,

1. Should I focus on any specific year? I was leaning towards 2014. Hopefully will find a manual version.

BladeRunner
Depending on what your intentions are for the vehicle

2008-2012 is a v8 engine sounds amazing with any exhaust you throw on it, the linear and predictable power delivery is always praised (the engine never feels like its running out of torque even at higher speeds over 100 mph. However modding potential is limited unless you intend to go all out for a supercharger. (costs well over 10k, closer to 15k,20k really). Also there is carbon buildup, a known problem with these engines. Robs you of power, and causes varying symptoms (sluggish rides, rough idling, etc) The solution- cleaning out the intake manifold. That's a factor to consider.
2013+ is a supercharged v6 easily modified, better on gas. Some people hate forced induction engines, (lag, supercharger whine, etc), so not for everyone of course. But with a good exhaust, can sound just as good, maybe even better than the v8.

To give you some perspective. I've had an 09 s5 manual for about 8 months now. Stasis exhaust, awe sflo intake. I love this car, breaks necks all day, have way too much fun driving it. However, I'm planning to trade it in this month for a 2013 s5. Reasons- I use it as a daily and drive way too much to have such a gas guzzler with a 16 gallon tank. From F to E, every 2-3 days. (I historically average about 10,11 mpg) Thats nyc commuting locally, and highway rush hour traffic (work commute is 45 mins hwy because of traffic; almost always; and 25 minutes without traffic; rare), and spirited driving most other times. Initially i was content with the power, but now I'm power hungry but I'm not even considering that 15k supercharger. With the 2013, i'll be much better on gas, and with less than 5k ( stage 2+, downpipes, exhaust, intake, i'll have a monster.

As far as warranty, as Eric Straus said, certified pre-owned is probably your best bet, because it's typically 1000-2000 more than regular used, but you deal with audi directly. Aftermarket warranties are 3-4k typically and you really have to do your research to get a good one
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Although my '15 S5 doesn't sound like a V8, it has a nice exhaust note and torque whenever you need it. It also has the 7-speed Dual Clutch tranny. It is a blast to drive.

It is "post-facelift" with the newer lights/bumper/taillights. You will get that with any '13+ model. The nav system was also upgraded with 4g connectivity/Google Earth.

Worth checking out.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
The nav system was also upgraded with 4g connectivity/Google Earth.
Google Earth yes, but it is not 4G, it is only 3G.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 19hole
Google Earth yes, but it is not 4G, it is only 3G.
Ahhh, right, thanks.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone & gsmoov3. gsmmoov, I was shocked when I read your post. Seem like you are living inside my head...lol I am thinking the exact same thing you discussed except for the mod you may do. It is tough when you are new to purchasing an Audi. I am actually going out this weekend to test drive.

A few questions for you and anyone else who would like to answer:

1. For the CPO, the 6 years/100K. Is that 6 years from the original owner in-service date or my in-service date after I purchase?

2. Not sure if I am understanding this correctly, when you say stage 2+, downpipes, exhaust, intake, does that mean a modest or significant boost in horsepower for $5K? Will any modifications to the car negate the warranty?

3. Anyone here switch from the A7 to the S5? I was thinking of the A7 also. However, it seems boring and I want to have fun driving with neck breaking speed; not to mention the S5 is a chick magnate now that I am newly single. ~

This is similar to what I saw in Philadelphia several weeks ago except he had black wheels and I think it may have been Phantom Black. I like how menacing it looks with an air of sophistication. I'm definitely hooked on that Black Optic. I need to find this in 2013/2014 in manual. May be tough. I also live in the tri-state area. I have a contact at an Audi dealer from a friend of a friend. When the time comes, will definitely give him a call and see if he can do a nationwide search if possible. We will see.

Cars for Sale: Certified 2015 Audi S5 in 3.0T Premium Plus Coupe, Englewood NJ: 07631 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Originally Posted by gsmoov3
Depending on what your intentions are for the vehicle

2008-2012 is a v8 engine sounds amazing with any exhaust you throw on it, the linear and predictable power delivery is always praised (the engine never feels like its running out of torque even at higher speeds over 100 mph. However modding potential is limited unless you intend to go all out for a supercharger. (costs well over 10k, closer to 15k,20k really). Also there is carbon buildup, a known problem with these engines. Robs you of power, and causes varying symptoms (sluggish rides, rough idling, etc) The solution- cleaning out the intake manifold. That's a factor to consider.
2013+ is a supercharged v6 easily modified, better on gas. Some people hate forced induction engines, (lag, supercharger whine, etc), so not for everyone of course. But with a good exhaust, can sound just as good, maybe even better than the v8.

To give you some perspective. I've had an 09 s5 manual for about 8 months now. Stasis exhaust, awe sflo intake. I love this car, breaks necks all day, have way too much fun driving it. However, I'm planning to trade it in this month for a 2013 s5. Reasons- I use it as a daily and drive way too much to have such a gas guzzler with a 16 gallon tank. From F to E, every 2-3 days. (I historically average about 10,11 mpg) Thats nyc commuting locally, and highway rush hour traffic (work commute is 45 mins hwy because of traffic; almost always; and 25 minutes without traffic; rare), and spirited driving most other times. Initially i was content with the power, but now I'm power hungry but I'm not even considering that 15k supercharger. With the 2013, i'll be much better on gas, and with less than 5k ( stage 2+, downpipes, exhaust, intake, i'll have a monster.

As far as warranty, as Eric Straus said, certified pre-owned is probably your best bet, because it's typically 1000-2000 more than regular used, but you deal with audi directly. Aftermarket warranties are 3-4k typically and you really have to do your research to get a good one
Old 05-27-2016, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eric strauss

Below are two images: my S5 and RS5, both in Daytona Grey, one with the grey rotor wheels, on with black - both with Black Optic Pkg.

Eric
Those black wheels with the red lip are awesome, would love to get those for my S5. anyone know if you can get them for S5 thru Audi or another shop? I've had no luck looking so far.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BladeRunner77
Thanks everyone & gsmoov3. gsmmoov, I was shocked when I read your post. Seem like you are living inside my head...lol I am thinking the exact same thing you discussed except for the mod you may do. It is tough when you are new to purchasing an Audi. I am actually going out this weekend to test drive.

A few questions for you and anyone else who would like to answer:

3. Anyone here switch from the A7 to the S5? I was thinking of the A7 also. However, it seems boring and I want to have fun driving with neck breaking speed; not to mention the S5 is a chick magnate now that I am newly single. ~

Cheers
I didn't switch from an A7 to an S5, but I've driven both. When Audi first introduced the A7 they had a driving event for Audi owners. I owned an '11 S5 Cab at the time. I remember driving the A7 and thinking "beautiful car but really boring". I wasn't impressed with anything but the exterior design. I also had a new A6 with 3.0 supercharged engine (same as the A7) as a loaner while my S5 was getting scheduled maintenance and it felt like a boat in comparison. I couldn't wait to get my S5 back. My salesman said I would have to move up to an S6 or S7 to get the same feel because the A6 and A7 are engineered to be "soft". When you get into S6 or S7 models, you are talking serious money and the S5 looks like a real bargain.

On a side note, my S5 has been in the body shop because a valet parking attendant pulled it into a cement bench and damaged the whole front quarter. It is perfect now. I got it back today and the smile finally came back to my face. I had almost forgotten what a wonderful car it is. Well-made, beautiful and a blast to drive!

Quick Reply: Advice on Purchase S5