Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Advice on Purchase S5

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Lord...unbelievable. You are inside having a good time at a function. Come outside and some meathead parking attendant damages your car. Some (not all) get into nice cars and they immediately assume they are Jeff Gordon or Dale Earnhardt and get stupid in a parking lot. I wonder if they immediately told you when you came out or did you see it? Oh well, at least the car is repaired like new.

Originally Posted by dseag2
I didn't switch from an A7 to an S5, but I've driven both. When Audi first introduced the A7 they had a driving event for Audi owners. I owned an '11 S5 Cab at the time. I remember driving the A7 and thinking "beautiful car but really boring". I wasn't impressed with anything but the exterior design. I also had a new A6 with 3.0 supercharged engine (same as the A7) as a loaner while my S5 was getting scheduled maintenance and it felt like a boat in comparison. I couldn't wait to get my S5 back. My salesman said I would have to move up to an S6 or S7 to get the same feel because the A6 and A7 are engineered to be "soft". When you get into S6 or S7 models, you are talking serious money and the S5 looks like a real bargain.

On a side note, my S5 has been in the body shop because a valet parking attendant pulled it into a cement bench and damaged the whole front quarter. It is perfect now. I got it back today and the smile finally came back to my face. I had almost forgotten what a wonderful car it is. Well-made, beautiful and a blast to drive!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BladeRunner77
Good Lord...unbelievable. You are inside having a good time at a function. Come outside and some meathead parking attendant damages your car. Some (not all) get into nice cars and they immediately assume they are Jeff Gordon or Dale Earnhardt and get stupid in a parking lot. I wonder if they immediately told you when you came out or did you see it? Oh well, at least the car is repaired like new.
It could have been valets like these.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeRunner77
Nah, this was when I first pulled up to the valet stand. I asked him to park it close so we could make a quick getaway after the play and I stood there as he slowly pulled it into a concrete bench. I was just a few feet away on the other side, but I knew what he had done and he might as well have hit my head against the bench. I am still working with the valet company to reimburse my $500 deductible, but at least I have my baby back! A week and a half in a Nissan Altima made my S5 seem like a supercar. Every time I have a loaner or a rental car I think "if my financial circumstances changed would this car be okay as a daily driver"? An Altima with a CVT, I don't think so.

Anyway, my S5 will be the first 2-year old car turned in at the end of the lease with a perfect front end... no rock chips on the bumper and no parking lot scrapes underneath. :-) It is amazing what body shops can do these days. The car is Florett Silver with lots of different shaded specks and there is absolutely no color variation in the new panels.

Last edited by dseag2; 05-28-2016 at 06:22 PM.