Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Power Top Reset?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Top Reset?

I have a 2010 S5 Cabrio and today the top stopped halfway closed. I read the manual and was able to secure the front manually but not the rear hatch. Nor can I open the trunk.

I previously had a 2006 S4 Cabrio and remember having a similar issue and someone told me about a reset, a sequence of turning things off and on but I can't for the life of me remember it nor do I know if it will work on an S5.

Is there a reset to get the top working normally again?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2015, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2008 A4 cab roof has failed also. I feel your pain.

I found out the hard way that I did not have the manual release key! The car was turned in after a lease and the receiving Audi Dealership raped the car taking the Manual Release Key, The floor mats, the iPod Interface cable (in the trunk on the drivers side there is a jumper module). So I had to buy one. $400! The newer cabs use an allen wrench. Thanks Audi Engineers, special key my ***.

I was able to reset the error message with VAGCOM, and the top worked for me, but after my son put the top down again it failed. The manual closing technique described in the manual requires TWO people. And the car must be turned off, or the motors in the roof will not let you move the dam thing, and it is heavy. Latching the rear has a learning curve but even after latching the front and rear the car still reported "Do not drive the top is not secure" or some such warning. This reset itself after being off for an hour or so.

Anyway, perhaps your question if answered will help me avoid the trip to the dealer for an out of warrantee repair. LOL.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car to the local dealer who took two days to diagnose the problem. They claim now that the front latch motor is defective (actually just the micro-switch but they have to replace the entire motor) and the cost is $1300. I also have a delamination of the rear window so they want to replace the entire top to the tune of $5200. I have contacted Audi Customer Service who offered a 50% reduction on the top replacement but I am on my own for the motor.

I have learned from other Audi forums that this is a common problem and that Audi should to do more. Anyone have any experience that may help me get a better result?