Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2002 Allroad value?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Allroad value?

Thinking about selling the 2002 Allroad I inherited from my father.

Anyone have an idea how much it is worth or where to try and sell it?

I like the car the little time I have had it but not sure about putting more money into it to ensure it is reliable.

The vehicle has 99K miles on it so it is time to do the expensive maintenance.
(the normal stuff for a timing belt swap)

Also, looks like I need to swap the turn signal switch as the high beams blink when I make a left turn.($about $115 for the switch

I doubt it the air suspension has anything done to it since new. (takes a few days before I get in the car and it has to raise to the #2 setting)

I have read they sometimes have torque converter and turbo issues.

I drive it twice a week to work for a total of about 100 miles.

The value by bluebook is around $5k I think and I could easily top that if I "freshen up stuff".

I am sure trade in value will be hardly anything as the local Audi dealer uses auction prices for trade in value.

I have been thinking about trading it in next year for a newer AllRoad or bring back my youth and purchase a new Dodge Challenger Hellcat.

I owned an original 1971 Hemi Challenger when I was younger and stupidly sold it a couple of years prior to their value went crazy.

I kick myself daily for selling that car.

So for me the decision are:

1. Put $$$ into the 2002 AllRoad as I do like driving it and like the size of the vehicle. (compared to other vehicle which is 1997 Ford Diesel F250 5 spd manual)

2. Trade it in or sell it and purchase a newer AllRoad

3. Wait and see if the Doge Hellcat comes out in the color I want and no large issues arise and they get in public hands. (might require me working past planned retirement date)

Wife just purchased a new Q5 so we have a reliable family car.

So as a want versus needs at the moment you could say the decision is a want.

Do I be practical or buy my dream car? (which may not happen as I will not pay over MSRP if the dealers get greedy and mark up the already high price)

Do I stay practical and a buy a year or two older AllRoad?

Retire as scheduled and wife and I use her family car for normal transportation and I drive the truck for the times we need to go separate.

I really have more cars than I need. Parking shuffle gets old at times.

Mike
Old 10-02-2014, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on where you are located your allroad, as it sits, is worth about $5000 and it really won't go up much if you address some of the issues. It may help it sell quicker but won't give you much more than that. If you live in one of the areas where AWD wagons hold a premium (PNW, New England, Colorado) you may be able to get it up to $6000 - $7000.

As for the what car to get or stay with. Well, that's really up to you. The Hellcat would be a ton of fun and may be a collector's item in the future. The problem with that is you have to keep it in mint shape which means not driving it very much and where's the fun in that.

If you want the speed of the Hellcat but in the wagon do a search for modded Audi 2.7T's (allroad or S4) to see the potential the motor has. There are many builds well into the 400-500hp range. While that may not hit the 700 the Hellcat has the AWD will put the power down better for much less than the MSRP of the Hellcat.

The new allroad (nick named the "smallroad) seems to be a great car but is essentially the same chassis as your wife's Q5. If the Q5 is the 2.0T than they are nearly identical as far as drivetrain and chassis. Just a different body. I would personally go with something different than what I already have access to.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. The Hellcat would be nice but hard to justify as it would be a weekend car at the best.

Unfortunately I am in NE Florida so no one would care about an AllRoad.

If I was offered a fair price I would probably let it go but fat chance here.

Building an Allroad would be cheaper but I am not into wrenching on cars any longer. Florida summers are horrible and even hotter in a non-airconditioned garage. I have even stopped changing my own oil as it is such a pain to get rid of the old oil now.

Plus there probably is not anyone around that would really know how to mod it reliably.

I do miss at times the pull of a strong engine. I have had multiple Mopar muscle cars and a Buick Turbo Regal. That car was fun as a chip, 9 inch slicks, and a exhaust cutout put you into the low 12s in the quarter.

The Hellcat is just crazy with power and has a factory warranty.

mike
Old 10-03-2014, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many shops that are well versed in modifying the 2.7T engine. I believe there are a few in the SE as well. If you decide to go with the modified route talk with some of the guys in this forum: C4/C5 A6/S6/RS6/allroad

It encompasses the allroad, as well as, the standard A6 that had the same engine so there is a wider knowledge base. Many have had their cars modified by a shop to make good power.

You also may be happy with just a tune. If you get your ECU flashed to a stage 1 you get a noticeable bump in power and torque for not a whole lot of money (~$500 I think). That could get you started and you can see if you want to go farther.

Whatever you decide good luck. You really can't go wrong whatever decision you make.