Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Audi Allroad trailer turn signal light blinking, but no trailer...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Allroad trailer turn signal light blinking, but no trailer...

My '04 Audi Allroad has decided that it's time to start with the weird electrical problems. The other day my turn signals stopped flashing, so I replaced the turn signal relay unit, and they worked fine for about a half hour. Now when I turn the directional flasher on, it blinks fine, but I get this light on the cluster flashing in time with the blinker:

Name:  WvFc1OK.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  60.3 KB

The <=1=> light. I know it's indicating that my trailer hitch lights are blinking, which is great, but I don't have a trailer. I'm not sure if there's a connector in the bumper that is just dirty, but I think that's an optional part, and I don't have that. I pulled the battery cable and reset the computer, but that didn't work. I can't see to find any help on Google. Any ideas?

I even put the original hazard light switch back in, and it still happens, but with a weird different. The trailer turn signal light doesn't come on the entire time the flasher is on, it only slashes on for a split second right as the turn signal goes out. Putting the new hazard switch in makes it behave in the original incorrect manner. I even got a second hazard switch figuring the first one was defective, and the same thing happens.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue here.

I just replaced mine this morning and was wondering what that flashing "1" was on the dash. At least now I know it's the trailer. But same as you, I don't own a trailer.

We're you able to find out what the cause is? Please let me know if you found an answer.

Thanks

Originally Posted by ericcorp
My '04 Audi Allroad has decided that it's time to start with the weird electrical problems. The other day my turn signals stopped flashing, so I replaced the turn signal relay unit, and they worked fine for about a half hour. Now when I turn the directional flasher on, it blinks fine, but I get this light on the cluster flashing in time with the blinker:

The <=1=> light. I know it's indicating that my trailer hitch lights are blinking, which is great, but I don't have a trailer. I'm not sure if there's a connector in the bumper that is just dirty, but I think that's an optional part, and I don't have that. I pulled the battery cable and reset the computer, but that didn't work. I can't see to find any help on Google. Any ideas?

I even put the original hazard light switch back in, and it still happens, but with a weird different. The trailer turn signal light doesn't come on the entire time the flasher is on, it only slashes on for a split second right as the turn signal goes out. Putting the new hazard switch in makes it behave in the original incorrect manner. I even got a second hazard switch figuring the first one was defective, and the same thing happens.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:36 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Same issue for me. Replaced a cheap Chinese knockoff hazard switch with the real deal and now the <=1=> light blinks in unison with the turn indicators, but not when I use the hazards.

I have a trailer hitch setup on mine and I'll look to see if maybe there is some water or corrosion in the connector but it sure seems strange that this would pop up now and never in the past.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same problem here

Today my hazard relay was replaced because of the same symptoms with the turn signal. The trailer hitch lights are also blinking, which never happened before. It doesn't necessarily bothers me while driving but I am worried that it might lead to some other malfunction down the road.

Originally Posted by ericcorp

Old 01-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 05 Allroad is doing this also, anyone figure this out?
Old 01-12-2016, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trailer signal light flashes as is senses a higher load and so it thinks the trailer is connected, if the last thing you changed was the hazard flasher was it the correct part number to replace the original? or was it a cheap chinese one? both these reasons could be the casue, the cheap flasher relay and the load the flasher uses and so it displays the trailer signal, or the wrong part number suffix, "A", "B" and its not wired for the towbar, is a tow bar even fitted?