Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

What is this part? What is this white deposit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part identified

Originally Posted by Stubborn, but Happy
2001 allroad 6MT, engine code APB

Last night before quitting, I discovered (photos below) the suspicious white powder deposits on tubing and fittings I can't identify next to the firewall. To my amazement, I then noticed a broken fitting adjacent to the deposits. Bright orange innards waving around in the air, seeking attention. This doesn't strike me as a coolant line, but frankly I'm otherwise clueless as to the source of the deposits. Whatever it is, it needs to be replaced!

After a fruitless trip yesterday to Premier Motors (Audi Dealer), I came home and verified the identity of the broken fitting. In retrospect, it was all fairly obvious, and I'm probably who broke it. Nonetheless, the part number is 078 133 753A. As PaperToast suggested, it's a brake booster check valve. The dealer's only offer was to order the entire assembly for $186.63, including tax, and that after I walked them through finding the part on their own computer! Thanks.

The final solution, I believe, comes from a thread originated by rskelme, in 2007. The cheapest option I found was a Chinese part on eBay for $6.99. Think I'll pass on that. I rather like the 'champagne cork' option devised by rskelme, and think I'll try that.

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by Stubborn, but Happy; 06-02-2015 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Insertion of photo
Old 06-03-2015, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small leak, possibly?

Can't tell if this is the source of the big leak, it looks more like a dribble! There are two pumps here?

Old 06-04-2015, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default No obvious leak from photos...

Originally Posted by YKallroad
Can't tell if this is the source of the big leak, it looks more like a dribble! There are two pumps here?
One pump, one intake, one output, one electrical connection, two rubber mounting rings.

I take that back about the leak. The clamped hose in the bottom of the 2nd photo is pretty crusty where it attaches. And the background appears wet throughout the photo. Take the pump off and see what's underneath...

Last edited by Stubborn, but Happy; 06-04-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I realize this thread is drifting but...

the pumps are dry underneath, no signs of crust or anything. The pump on the lower left in that photo does have a bit on the connection, it's true.

However, I might be onto the problem. A while back I stripped the bleeder screw and had to replace with a standard metric bolt. I picked up another at the dealer a while back, but the parts guy had trouble tracking down the right one and supplied what he thought was the right one. It's not. When the reservoir is opened, you can clearly see coolant gurgles up from this bolt. I tried twice to make sure. I then swapped my standard bolt solution back in, no gurgling.

So now do I replace the pumps anyway since I'm this far into it?
Old 07-04-2015, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by YKallroad
the pumps are dry underneath, no signs of crust or anything. The pump on the lower left in that photo does have a bit on the connection, it's true.

However, I might be onto the problem. A while back I stripped the bleeder screw and had to replace with a standard metric bolt. I picked up another at the dealer a while back, but the parts guy had trouble tracking down the right one and supplied what he thought was the right one. It's not. When the reservoir is opened, you can clearly see coolant gurgles up from this bolt. I tried twice to make sure. I then swapped my standard bolt solution back in, no gurgling.

So now do I replace the pumps anyway since I'm this far into it?
Been a long month since your last post, YellowKnife. How did your coolant issue play out?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stubborn, but Happy
Been a long month since your last post, YellowKnife. How did your coolant issue play out?
I replaced some clamps on the pumps. I also installed the lower temp switch for the after-run system. So far, the coolant leak hasn't recurred.

As detailed below, I replaced the faulty bleeder screw with my jury-rigged solution (a bolt.) No leak so far. I think the screw might actually be a problem with the threads in the female end, not the bleeder screw itself.