Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Random scratches. How do I get rid of them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random scratches. How do I get rid of them?

Hey yall!

Winter is coming.. Anyway, this is really bugging me. Just saw these scratches on my sq5 and I cannot even begin to guess where they came from. Always washed the car personally so I know it wasn't me. When I'm home, it's in the garage and at work, it's also in the garage. +100 points to the person with the best guess!

Also, how do I remove these?

Thanks!

Scratches
Old 11-18-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Dealer Service. No extra charge. Every time I took my pristine Passat (which I bought new) in for its included "free" service they managed to scratch or stain something.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OMG. You're right! Only place I took my car is the dealer and it was parked next to a bunch of other cars a few days ago. It was parked nearly bumper to bumper with the car in front. I bet it was someone's freaking keys! Damn dealership.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you're a DIYer, they may "buff out" as they say, I use Meguiar's Scratch-X followed by their "Ultimate Polish" and "Ultimate Quik Wax". Also dealers use travelling paint & leather renewal guys; they can work miracles out of their vans. Stop in a couple used car places and see who they use, if the scratch is too big to fix yourself (generally if you can catch a fingernail in it, it'll need to be filled with clear and/or touch-up paint). If you know anyone who works at a dealer or body shop they'll probably do it for free (I always tip them anyway). If there's a carmax near you and you talk to the right buyer or mechanic they might do it as a goodwill thing... I won't suggest you take it back to the place that did it because I wouldn't. Although there is some argument to be made for calling AoA and complaining, and then you'll have it done free.
Good luck. At least you can blame stupidity and not malice.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The thing that pisses me off is I was in their maintenance garage while I was getting audi care. It was one of their valets or mechanics that was trying to squeeze through the front of the car that did that. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in. I agree with you 100 percent, but I do want to see what the dealer has to say for themselves. It better be free and they better do a damn good job getting them out. Literally not a single scratch on the entire vehicle then this BS after a visit to the dealer.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by peaster3
...Literally not a single scratch on the entire vehicle then this BS after a visit to the dealer.
Such irony, especially considering our cars are made of aluminum.

Again, good luck. I feel your pain. Took my special-ordered-from-Germany Passat in for its free oil change. Even though I told the SA and put a post-it note "PLEASE do not wash this car" on the windshield (inside, almost in the center of driver's field of vision) and it was spotless, the imbeciles washed it. Swirl marks all over. The next time it came back with an extra quart of oil. This on a turbocharged engine with no less than three warnings under the hood, including one on the dipstick, "NICHT OBERFILLEN - Do Not Overfill - Serious Engine Damage will Occur".
I called the dealer, the service manager said "Drive it hard; it'll burn off". I called VW and they said they'd send a flatbed to pick it up, and do not start it. They wouldn't agree to take it to another VW dealer (an hour away) so I declined and vacuumed out the extra oil with my mityvac. She "opened up a case" but it's still running fine after 150k miles.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well. Took it in and the dealer took care of it in 20 minutes. They cleaned the entire hood even though I told them not to. But here's the catch, what did they do to get rid of the scratches? They are barely visible, now it looks like microscratches. I looked around the hood and my previous microscratches are still there so I don't think they buffed it.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

PS, get a loaner Q7 and take it 4-wheeling. That will relieve some stress
Old 11-19-2016, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

They probably took the hood from another customer's car.