Canada - used Audi "Secure Drive" warranty - comments/ experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canada - used Audi "Secure Drive" warranty - comments/ experiences?

Hi all from Calgary,
I recently purchased an '01 A6 2.7 (auto) with 62,000 km from its original owner. Gorgeous car, only Audi serviced with full history since bought new in Oct/'01 in Calgary.

Local Audi dealer will sell the following "Secure Drive" warrranty and was just curious if anyone here has had any experience with this particular warranty and what they feel about its value (cost vs. protection offered).

SECURE DRIVE WARRANTY
"PLUS" PROGRAM

12 MONTHS OR 12,000 KMS
$1851.00 + GST
$50.00 DED

12 MONTHS OR 20,000 KMS
$2066.00 + GST
$50.00 DED

24 MONTHS OR 50,000 KMS
$2596.00 + GST
$50.00 DED

$2566.00 + GST
$100.000 DED

$2451.00 +GST
$200.00 DED

36 MONTHS OR 60,000 KMS
$3265.00 + GST
$50.00 DED

$3219.00 + GST
$100.00 DED

$3047.00 + GST
$200.00 DED

The following warranty will cover the following...

ENGINE
TURBO/SUPERCHARGER
TRANSMISSION
TRANSFER CASE
DRIVE AXLE
STEERING
BRAKES
ELECTRICAL
AIR CONDITIONER
FUEL DELIVERY
FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION
COOLING
ENHANCED ELECTRICAL
RENTAL VEHICLE
24 HOUR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
1 FREE OIL CHANGE
TIRE AND WHEEL COVERAGE

*PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU PURCHASE A 3 YEAR OR GREATER TERM, AND DURING THE TERM OF THE EXTENDED WARRANTY YOU MAKE NO CLAIMS YOU WILL RECEIVE 100% MONEY BACK*

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at the office.

Thank you for your time,

Nicole Manchur
Business Manager
Glenmore Audi
Old 03-15-2006, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Canada - used Audi "Secure Drive" warranty - comments/ experiences?

did you find out if these warranties will apply only to manufacture faults or will they cover tear and wear problems as well.
I don't think you should worry much if you purchased a car with full history.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:56 PM

actually I assumed the warranty would just cover defects and EXCLUDE normal wear and tear items like tires, brake pads, rotor wear, exhaust system rusting, burnt out bulbs, etc.

But I can certainly check to be certain. Does the Audi new car warranty (4 yr. / 80 km) cover any wear and tear items that most other car warranties would normally exclude?

If you've got any other questions about the warranty, please give them all to me so I can make one call back to the dealership.

The original owner did take the car in for a fair amount of warranty work ;
replaced torque converter, oil leaks, replaced factory Bose stereo numerous times, check engine lights, blower fan replacement, etc.
Everything appears to be working properly now, no strange noises, no leaks, but, it is an Audi and from what I've read on various Audi enthusiast websites, these cars are not Camrys or Accords, so that's why I was considering the warranty.

I think the warranty is expensive, but, a few major claims and I guess it might pay for itself. That's what I was hoping to hear back from people here, their experiences.
How much they were paying to fix an A6 2.7 yearly and hopefully, if anyone is using this warranty and how much they figure the warranty has saved them.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If they have brochure or list I would get that and read fine print.. I can tell you from my experience I had both Audi Certified Extended Warranty and Extended Warranty from Third company, and paying extra for such service in my case was waste of money. I really had to have good case to prove them to fix this under warranty, I have purchased 01 Allroad , that had still audi extended warranty , problem was that 3 out of 4 suspension airbags had leaks, I had small leak in condenser, and numerous leaks in front/rear differential, and so on. I went to Audi Dealer to claim these under extended warranty which supposly they covered it, well I didn't get them fixed what I thought it should be under warranty, I got runaround from Audi, and they told me to read fine print, which mention abuse and tear/wear is excluded from any warranty work, I end up buying everything while working in Germany and now I will start replacing each part myself.
I can't comment much if this audi secure drive warranty is the same as Audi Assured warranty, I would defently read fine print, and any other clauses that were not told to you.
If they are no clause get in writting and then buy the warranty that you think will work best for you
Old 03-15-2006, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here is the link to the company's web site..

.<ul><li><a href="http://www.lgm.ca/driv.html">Lions gate marketing</a></li></ul>
Old 03-15-2006, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Here is the link to the company's web site..

Thanks for that Banter and audifirst for your experience.
I'll speak with the Audi dealer and call Lions Gate to ask about "what is not covered". Unfortunately, I could not find that listed on the website.
I guess that is always the difficulty with a 3rd party warranty. They want to claim the part broke from wear and tear unless it is completely obvious that it is a covered part that just broke.
I think the factory warranty should not be subject to such niggling, but, it sounds like audifirst ran into some issues on the original warranty too.
I'm really at an impasse as to whether this Secure Drive warranty is worth the high price and that's assuming that they would cover just about everything except for obvious wear and tear items like tires and brake pads. If I had to fight with them on every claim, I think the security of the warranty would be illusory and a big cost with little or no benefit.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:50 AM

My neighbor has a similar car low mileage A6 2.7T. He has had to replace the turbos twice thankfully covered by an extended warranty. Car is driven by his wife and is by no means an aggressive driver.

You're absolutely right - these are not Hondas or Toyotas.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default The warranty is expensive, but that's because expected repair costs are high.

An extended warranty on a lexus or Acura is generally much cheaper.

so in a sense, you do get the value you are paying for.