Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Additional Cup Holder

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additional Cup Holder

To me, the cup holders in Q5 are not working out. I think they are just not in the right location to easily reach.
Did anyone install an additional cup holder? Any help with ideas?
Old 09-10-2015, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

You can't reach the center armrests?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
You can't reach the center armrests?
I usually have the arm rest raised by 3 clicks and pulled all the way forward. So it ends up being above the cup holders making it not very convenient for me to reach them. Also the cup holders are close to my elbow, I wish they are placed close to the shift gear which is more convenient to reach.

I am 5' 8" if you are wondering
Old 09-10-2015, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

OK, I was thinking more along the lines of five foot even...(G)...5'8" is well within the norms for most of the US and EU today, and unlike Honda I don't think Audi designed this truck (they say it is a truck) for little ladies.

I took my fancy armrest and screwed it, in the aft position. It goes up and down, and since my arm is supposed to be on the steering wheel (I'm merciless on myself about that) I can't see why it should be on the center armrest anyway, so my armrest has never blocked the cupholders. (Would've gotten rid of the clicky thing too, but there was no real simple way to do that.(G)

Problem if you move it forward, is that a spilled drink is that much more likely to get into the electronics through the shift panel, ESC control, etc.

There is also a flat spot in the door pocket, at the front edge of it, so a cup or bottle will stand up level there. If you add something behind it to keep it from slipping back, that might do the trick.

Boating stores have an incredible variety of can/cup holders, more than most auto shops. And if you really want to live dangerously, there are some that "install" as a fake CD, in the DC drive slot, without disturbing the radio.

There are also "cell phone" stalks, that bolt a gooseneck stand under the front seat rail (one bolt loosened and tightened) to hold a cell phone, tablet, whatever you want, on a stalk in front of the dash. That would also work with a cupholder, and they're surprisingly unobtrusive.