Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is Audi Q5 TDI that bad???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I think an RS7 would give you what you want. Although it does cost almost as much as my house.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=A6forMoi;24719008] Every time I rent a (American) car I notice this - a mere touch of the accelerator and I'm hitting the rental building wall.

Funny ! This has actually happened to me ! A touchy, uneven accelerator and bang. I felt dumb. Now I don't ... thanks for that.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's Altima was like that. One of the main reasons I traded it for a BMW 325i. Non linear. Brakes were poor on it too. Warped easily, grabby sometimes, but ultimately not that powerful. Handlign was so-so. It felt sporty, but I didn't know how well a passenger car could handle until I got my 3 series... and it's 10 years old with worn suspension, a base model (so sport package) with all season run flats, 46k miles.

Linear & predictable is fast.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by audio_video_guy
I have my mom drive me from dentist's and she keeps complaining the car is not quick and won't move. it hurts her leg after 15 miles as she needs to use more force than with her car to move the car. She says car won't stop either, bad brake.
So I drove her car a few days later. It's MKC 2.0T and oh my. It's quick from stop and brakes instant. A lot better than my 15 Audi TDI.

I remember when I test drove 2.0T Q5, it like turtle. Then I jumped into TDI and I sealed the deal. So is it 2.0T Q5 tricks me into buying TDI? Or after 6K miles, there is something wrong with my car?

Now after driving MKC, I want to trade in my TDI for something. I don't like Lincoln, I don't like BMW and MB either. So it doesn't leave me with much option. Guess I should consider sedan now. TLX or Q50 or A6?
If your Q5 TDI is not driving as it did when you test drove, time to make a service appointment. My Q5 TDI has no problems with acceleration or braking.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a 2015 TDI and are very pleased with acceleration.
Let me know if you want to sell yours
Old 09-17-2015, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts
Default seems he has sold it...

guess audio video guy not so interested in answers and has sold his tdi...
Old 03-11-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

fool, or troll
Old 03-11-2016, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since OP is not around, I'll toss out a slight hijack question. When I took my 2015 Q5 TDI in for the 5k service a few months ago, I was given a 2015 Q5 TDI loaner. One thing I noticed immediately is that the acceleration seemed much quicker than on my car. It seemed like the "gas" pedal on that Q was more sensitive and "quick" as if it was somehow calibrated differently. The loaner had about 8,300 miles on the clock.

Any ideas as to what might account for that kind of difference?
Old 03-12-2016, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, the transmission learns your driving style and adjusts accordingly. Since people are probably driving the loaner more "aggressively" than their own vehicle, that may account for the difference you feel.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brutus23079
IIRC, the transmission learns your driving style and adjusts accordingly. Since people are probably driving the loaner more "aggressively" than their own vehicle, that may account for the difference you feel.
Really? I had no idea that could happen. I always assumed the transmission is the transmission, but then I'm no car or mechanical expert. Maybe I need driving lessons. My Q had just over 5,100 miles on it at the 5K service so I wondered if that had anything to do with it, and it would loosen up with more miles.

I wasn't sure if I liked or didn't like the quicker, more aggressive acceleration of the loaner, but more than anything, just couldn't figure out why it felt so much different than mine. I am not an aggressive driver, and while my Q doesn't take off like a rocket at the slightest touch of the accelerator like the loaner did, it definitely has the get up and go, push-you-back-in-your-seat low-end torquey goodness we all love in the Q5 TDI when I lay into the pedal a bit. Passing people on our NorCal freeways in this car is ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Is Audi Q5 TDI that bad???