Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is Audi Q5 TDI that bad???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audio_video_guy
I have my mom drive me from dentist's and she keeps complaining the car is not quick and won't move. it hurts her leg after 15 miles as she needs to use more force than with her car to move the car. She says car won't stop either, bad brake.
So I drove her car a few days later. It's MKC 2.0T and oh my. It's quick from stop and brakes instant. A lot better than my 15 Audi TDI.

I remember when I test drove 2.0T Q5, it like turtle. Then I jumped into TDI and I sealed the deal. So is it 2.0T Q5 tricks me into buying TDI? Or after 6K miles, there is something wrong with my car?

Now after driving MKC, I want to trade in my TDI for something. I don't like Lincoln, I don't like BMW and MB either. So it doesn't leave me with much option. Guess I should consider sedan now. TLX or Q50 or A6?
Sure seems that you and your mom are confusing the feeling of brake sensitivity and throttle mapping with objective acceleration and braking performance. You might want to try to research some reasonably comparable testing numbers for the vehicles you would like to compare.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Make a service appointment to make sure the car isn't broken. That's first of all.

It is possible your Mom has been pushing the gas AND brake, resulting in glazed brakes and poor braking. I know, everyone says they don't do that, But I saw brake lights on ALL THE TIME with a man who complained about the same thing on his car. Kinda proves, objectively, the problem is pilot error.

And how the gas pedal could hurt her feet...You do know the new cars are all "throttle by wire" and the gas pedal is just a pedal attached to a spring? You can change the pedal pressure by simply adjusting or changing the spring. I found the opposite problem years ago on a Mustang. Pedal too light, adding a second spring added resistance.

Really, you need a dealer checkout to make sure the car isn't broken, and then some objective testing to make sure there really is something "wrong" and not just subjectively different from what you mom expects. My mother accelerates towards red lights, and then complains about gas mileage. I always tried to roll and hit them in 2nd gear (stick) so I wouldn't have to stop. Big difference in gas mileage. Not the cars' fault.

Your mom may be right on all points--but you still need to check, "trust but verify".