Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Brand new Q5 -- Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new Q5 -- Transmission Problem?

Hi everyone. Just bought a Q5, my first new vehicle, about a month ago. Love everything about it.

2012 Q5 Premium Plus 2.0T
1800 miles

Took it in to have the oil checked, license plates installed, and windows tinted. Also been noticing a pretty rough thump on downshift when quickly decelerating (from 3-2, or 2-1, or 3-1, I don't know which). Read about campaign 37G1, and honestly couldn't believe I could be having that problem as it was diagnosed long ago on the 8 speeds and shouldn't have been happening to my vehicle. Well, just heard that they are ordering me a new "mechatronic" unit for the transmission, of which there are zero in the country at the moment. If this is something electrical, then ok, I suppose those things work or they don't. But is this mechanical? Is there something wrong with my brand new transmission that I'm going to be dealing with forever? Someone please help relieve my anxiety...

Thanks,
AUDIIOS
Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mechatronic=Mechanical+Electronic. Could be either...or both. Once replaced and software updated you should be good to go. Tranny failures reported here are RARE. There have been many instances of Mechatronic failures in early VW DSG trannies. Eventually sorted and now is an uncommon issue.
No promises from me but I'd bet that once they get it right you'll be fine...worry not.

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 09-11-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey thanks I appreciate it. That's what I was thinking and I read a lot of forums and didn't see any tranny issues like you said.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, but you better get used to the crappy downshifting. I have complained about it since day one and haven't had any luck getting it fixed. The dealer has updated the programming (37G1 TSB) in the trans twice and it is worse if anything.

If anyone tells you the trans issue is isolated - they're not telling the truth. My service advisor told me the trans problem is driving them nuts and there are lots of complaints on this forum.

The Q5 is my first (and last) Audi.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Russ,
just trying to help here, but have you tried going to another dealer ?!?

As BullDog stated, tranny issues are rare....

ours is silky smooth UNLESS I'm coming to a true panic stop
(which only had to do once when I wasn't paying attention and came up on a 90 degree turn in the countryside and it saved my bacon !)

then it downshifts QUICKLY to help stop the Q...
Old 09-12-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is totally normal. I have been seeing it for years. The 8 speed is worse than the 6 speed. The tranmissions is also sometimes "hunting" for a gear.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

We have it on our 2012 Q5, bought in May of this year. Downshifts at low speed (coming to stoplight) are abrupt, as if though it needs to go through ALL the lower gears (maybe all the way through 1st). At less than 5mph, that is the most abrupt change.

Then we were given a 2012 Q5 2.0T for a loaner, and it didn't do this. It seems to keep the higher gears when slowing down, and didn't downshift.

Audi says my car is normal. arrrgh.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Actually, if yours is like ours, it is normal and GOOD

Even my larger vehicle does the firm downshifts when needed and I like the added engine/tranny braking when trying to bring down the pictured combo!

Have you had the tranny tsb software update and relearn ? That helped us a lot !

Also, sometimes a dealer 'discussion' or change helps a lot too
Attached Images  

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 09-14-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The crappy shifting qualities of the 8-speed may be "normal", but doesn't mean it is desirable. The fact that some cars do it and others don't, and the fact that a substantial number of people are complaining about it and there is a TSB focused on the issue, would seem to be evidence of a problem.

Bottom line for me.....I buy a new car every 3 - 4 years and have never driven anything with a worst shifting transmission.

Just sayin!

I do appreciate the suggestions of the forum members. Thanks
Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2012 Q5 2.0 t as well. I reported the issue to my dealer with about 3k miles and he did something to fix it and now it is much better. I can look through the dealer notes or call and find out what he did....

Quick Reply: Brand new Q5 -- Transmission Problem?