Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

DIY - Execuhitch Hitch install on 2013 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response.
I have right now a Pontiac Torrent that I use to haul a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer with 2 snowmobiles. Fully loaded it's roughly 2000 lbs. The engine in Pontiac is garbage for towing (185 hp.) Constantly downshifting and poor gas mileage..
I know it's a weird comparison, but I have been debating between a pick up truck (Ram 1500 with Eco diesel) or this Audi Q5 TDI 3.0 My wife hates the idea of ever having to drive the large pick up, and quite honestly I am only towing in the winter. I imagine the TDI with 428 foot pounds of torque would have no issues towing. The ride from the Q5 from my test drives is much more pleasant to drive then the pick up. I just want to make sure that it won't have any issues towing.
I have used the search on this forum searching both "tow" and "towing"/"hauling", but still not a whole lot of info.. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.?
Old 09-29-2014, 06:28 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look below. I just searched on 'towing'. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the Q5 TDI towing 2k lbs.

-tgt

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...dtrip-2865153/

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ghlight=towing

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...my-q5-2866697/

Originally Posted by fromwithin
Thanks for the response.
I have right now a Pontiac Torrent that I use to haul a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer with 2 snowmobiles. Fully loaded it's roughly 2000 lbs. The engine in Pontiac is garbage for towing (185 hp.) Constantly downshifting and poor gas mileage..
I know it's a weird comparison, but I have been debating between a pick up truck (Ram 1500 with Eco diesel) or this Audi Q5 TDI 3.0 My wife hates the idea of ever having to drive the large pick up, and quite honestly I am only towing in the winter. I imagine the TDI with 428 foot pounds of torque would have no issues towing. The ride from the Q5 from my test drives is much more pleasant to drive then the pick up. I just want to make sure that it won't have any issues towing.
I have used the search on this forum searching both "tow" and "towing"/"hauling", but still not a whole lot of info.. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.?
Old 10-05-2014, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a couple questions regarding the install. I attempted install yesterday, and I was unable to get the factory bolts back in with the new hitch. I was attempting to install them in the same place the they came out of, but no matter what I tried the two closest to the rear would not thread down. They would never catch and there did not seem to be much manipulation to get them to move around. Any tips?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:08 PM
dpz
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm interested in the Execuhitch. Looks like a really good product. (I would have been fine w the OEM hitch but adding it as a requirement made it essentially impossible to find the combo we wanted in stock.) Would use it only for a bike rack. Had a few questions:

1. Any updated opinions on the product?
2. Any other experiences with installation? For those who used an installer, has it gone well? This is out of my comfort level as a DIY but I would like some assurance that I can find someone to do it well.
3. Is it correct that the disassembly/assembly is essentially the same as for the OEM hitch, which has more detailed instructions? See http://parts.audiusa.com/media/image...2003_25_11.pdf Does everyone agree the bolts should be torqued to 60 nm or 44 ft-lbs? (Perhaps they failed to convert the 60 nm when they gave the updated 60 ft-lbs guidance, though I note that a recent installation guide they sent me still showed 80 ft-lbs.)
Old 01-06-2015, 06:23 PM
dpz
Audiworld Junior Member

One other question:

4. Has anyone done this on a Q5 with side assist? Any problems, any need to recalibrate and if so what where costs of doing so?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dpz
I'm interested in the Execuhitch. Looks like a really good product. (I would have been fine w the OEM hitch but adding it as a requirement made it essentially impossible to find the combo we wanted in stock.) Would use it only for a bike rack. Had a few questions:

1. Any updated opinions on the product?
2. Any other experiences with installation? For those who used an installer, has it gone well? This is out of my comfort level as a DIY but I would like some assurance that I can find someone to do it well.
3. Is it correct that the disassembly/assembly is essentially the same as for the OEM hitch, which has more detailed instructions? See http://parts.audiusa.com/media/image...2003_25_11.pdf Does everyone agree the bolts should be torqued to 60 nm or 44 ft-lbs? (Perhaps they failed to convert the 60 nm when they gave the updated 60 ft-lbs guidance, though I note that a recent installation guide they sent me still showed 80 ft-lbs.)
I used the hitch to tow my 2000 lbs camper many times and I'm really satisfied.
I did the install myseft and its' pretty straight forward.
Installation is exactly the same as OEM. I did both.
In fact torque specifications are incorrect for the M10 and M12 bolts. I can send you the discussion I had with them.
No problem with side assist on both cars I did.

Last edited by Yoshimura; 01-12-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What wiring kit did you use or did they supply? I installed a different aftermarket hitch on my 2014 but can't get a clear answer on the right aftermarket wiring kit.
Thanks!
Old 05-23-2015, 06:47 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Wanted to provide another quick update. I removed the hitch from my Q5 prior to selling it, and today installed it on my SQ5. Being the second time around, the install too about 90 minutes.

Still very satisfied and impressed with this hitch.

-tgt
Old 05-23-2015, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So glad this product exists. I'm looking into getting an SQ5 and want a hitch but hate the look of it unless I'm towing.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick Reply: DIY - Execuhitch Hitch install on 2013 Audi Q5