Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Exterior colors & maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flaiblin
We have a '15 Q5 3.0T in Daytona Gray Pearl and it is far less high maintenance than the other colors mentioned. Then again ours gets washed at least once a week. I we had white or especially black it would be washed everyday. My wife is a realtor in Palm Springs and the cleanliness of a car speaks volumes when showing property...she'd go crazy with a black car.
Not only is it easy to maintain, Daytona grey is the best color Audi offers (although Ara Blue gives it some stiff competition). A 2014 Q5 TDI in Daytona grey would be my first choice if the S-line model didn't have those brushed aluminum inlays. I used to clean Audi's for my local dealership and I can say with confidence those inlays are about as durable as a Coke can.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gagethrash
Not only is it easy to maintain, Daytona grey is the best color Audi offers (although Ara Blue gives it some stiff competition). A 2014 Q5 TDI in Daytona grey would be my first choice if the S-line model didn't have those brushed aluminum inlays. I used to clean Audi's for my local dealership and I can say with confidence those inlays are about as durable as a Coke can.
You are so damn right about those inlays, I got them on my 2013 and a week later after I picked up the car I got two big dents on the center console...I just said that I would never get another Audi with aluminum inlays in the future.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Daytona grey is a chameleon, and looks similar to vw's carbon steel grey, and that was a breeze to keep clean.
Cuvée was my first choice for an A5, but I didn't want to wait and sacrificed every weekend for the next few years for a brilliant black beast. Looks great...when clean.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Scuba blue/chestnut brown

I saw pics online of this combo with the fine grain ash wood and I really like it. It pops, but it's not garish IMO since both colors are deep (I saw a photo of Brilliant Red/Chestnut Brown on an A3 and it truly is a hideous combo). Plus you don't see Scuba on Q5's everyday, so it's a departure from the norm (I live in San Diego and the majority of Q5s are black or white).

Does anybody have any experience with Scuba Blue and upkeep?
Old 05-29-2015, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Daytona, then the silvers or the whites is my take. Anything dark is going to be dirty within days of washing it. Mine is Estoril Blue. It is dirty for weeks at a time... but I wouldn't change it, it's a beautiful color even with some dirt on its upper lip.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by big residual
Daytona, then the silvers or the whites is my take. Anything dark is going to be dirty within days of washing it. Mine is Estoril Blue. It is dirty for weeks at a time... but I wouldn't change it, it's a beautiful color even with some dirt on its upper lip.
I agree Estoril is beautiful. I wish they offered either that or Ara/Sepang on the Q5 TDI. Moonlight and Scuba look great but the S-only blue shades are amazing

Last edited by gagethrash; 05-30-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up my new Q5 in Lava Gray Pearl Effect. I love the color but after driving in rain yesterday, I can see that it will getting washed quite often...

Old 05-31-2015, 08:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gary1227
I just picked up my new Q5 in Lava Gray Pearl Effect. I love the color but after driving in rain yesterday, I can see that it will getting washed quite often...

The color is indeed amazing! Coincidentally the rain issue is the biggest one I have with my brilliant black. All cars show at least some level of dirt when dirty, but Brilliant Black really looks a mess after a rainstorm. I definitely want a color that will hide rain spots well
Old 06-01-2015, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My '15 Q5 3.0T S-Line has the darker burled wood inlays, the interior looks very rich with the black interior including the black headliner. Love the Daytona Gray Pearl!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The color is indeed amazing! Coincidentally the rain issue is the biggest one I have with my brilliant black. All cars show at least some level of dirt when dirty, but Brilliant Black really looks a mess after a rainstorm. I definitely want a color that will hide rain spots well
I have a Brilliant Black A6. I found that one of the permanent paint protection coatings like Optimum Opti-Coat, CQuartz, etc really help to keep the rain, water spots and dirt from sticking. In fact, under the right drying conditions, the rain acts more like a quick rinse, particularly on the vertical surfaces because it beads up and runs right off.