Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 10:07 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Display Refurbish

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthValley
If seemingly gentle cleaning with a MF cloth can do this, what is the recommended procedure to clean the screen then?
Best policy is to never let it get dirty, and therefore never need to clean it.

If cleaning is a must, then video screens need to be treated with EXTREME care.
The following rules must be adhered to when cleaning video screens (whether they are TV sets at home, computer monitors, or in the car)

1. Never use harsh chemicals like ammonia (Windex). Avoid anything with abrasive compounds (i.e. anything with the word "polish"), even if it says safe on plastic or soft surfaces.

2. Never use ANY type of paper product. (paper towels, kleenex, toilet paper) Paper is made from wood pulp which is abrasive by pure definition, no matter how soft and fluffy it might look. Think of it like wiping with sawdust.

3. Avoid "microfiber" cloths that claim to be safe on screens. Microfibers collect dust and dirt particles and trap them in the cloth. These particles themselves are abrasive and then get dragged across the surface as you wipe.

I prefer to use synthetic, lint-free cloths like they have at the eyeglass stores. I own a lot of pairs of Oakley sunglasses which are incredibly easy to scratch. But even after years of playing golf and skiing, I almost never scratch mine because I am careful with them and only use the soft, lint-free cloths they recommend.

4. Do not use pressure when wiping. If a spot is stubborn and won't come out, just be patient and see if gentle wiping eventually works. If not, then give up. A spot is better than a scratch from applying too much pressure.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same blue coating. Exact same display. Here's the photos of how to do it. Total cost about $100.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After removing the trim, remove the four torque bolts holding the display. The display is connected to two cables here:
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Both connectors involve a pinch mechanism to release:
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Once removed, disassemble the outer frame holder which is clipped with hooks:
Old 11-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here:
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The display itself has wiring behind it. The flat ribbon is stuck to adhesive tape. Carefully pull the display upward:
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The black cable can be pulled out and removed. The ribbon requires removing a metal plate with a phillips head screw, then flipping the plastic retainer upward (perpendicular to the circuit board.)
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Installation is the reverse of removal. Once installed, the replacement display part is exactly the same as the OEM screen.

The only issue is the "VOID" sticker will have to be violated to do this.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I suggest replacing the plastic screen after assembly before installation to prevent scratches. Then after installing, remove the plastic screen.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: MMI Display Refurbish