Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New SQ5 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SQ5 owner

Hey guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself and provide some first impressions of my new SQ5 (Premium Plus, Napa Leather, 21'' wheels, Technology Package, B&O). I never owned an SUV before, with my previous cars being a 11' Subaru STI & 13' Golf R - both 6 speeds.

Needless to say the transition from the STI and Golf R to the SQ5 was significant, however I needed something more "family oriented" and somewhat sporty.

I'm quite happy with what the SQ5 offers, fuel economy is about the same (actually better than the 11' STI). Power delivery is great, this is also my first supercharged engine and it is definitely more linear.

The handling is good for an SUV, the weight is definitely noticeable. The thing feels like a tank on highways. The exhaust note is very good in Dynamic mode.

The ZF 8 speed auto is very smooth, S mode is fun. I tested the launch control function and was quite impressed at the acceleration, it is "cool" how the car shifts "harder" compared to simply flooring the throttle in S mode.

The interior is definitely an upgrade to the previous cars and I like how the steering wheel is very similar in feel to the Golf R.

The only negatives so far would be this very annoying but noticeable rattle in the rear seat area. I'll bring it to the dealership to be addressed. Otherwise, the only other negative would be the steering which even in Dynamic mode is still too "light" for my tastes but i'll get used to it!

Finally, my first mod will be to get rid of the wheels and the summer Pirelli's and "downsize" to 20" wheels with A/S tires. I will drive this thing all year and need something that will handle ice/snow, even here in Dallas, TX.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Congrats.

Apparently the rattle in the back seat is not uncommon. I had it and they knew exactly what it was. If it is the same thing, they have to replace the entire seat frame. I was a little nervous because they just replace the frame and have to take off the leather, cushions, etc and move them to the new frame. The reason I say it is not uncommon is because when I expressed my nervousness they said "no problem" because they see this issue so often they have one guy that has become an expert at it. And they were right. Couldn't tell they did it and no more rattle.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Many grats and a warm welcome to the wonderful world of the SQ5. Steve
Old 07-22-2015, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats on an awesome ride.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Congratulations! You're really gonna love this car!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on your new SQ5! I believe you will love it.

For the rattle, make sure the cargo cover is pushed back and seated all the way. If you remove the cargo cover, then drive it and notice the rattle is gone, you can follow my DIY for a really easy fix that will eliminate this rattle forever.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the feedback guys, I tried checking the cover in the trunk area but even removing it did not have an effect on the rattle.

The noise is almost metallic, high pitched as if a spring or piece of metal is hitting something when driving over bumps.

It's driving me nuts and I'm surprised this is occurring on a new car, but I'm confident it will be addressed.

Overall the experience has been great.