Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Auto Car Wash and Freshener

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Car Wash and Freshener

Hello!

Firstly, I bought this car by pre ending my previous loan of Elantra. I cannot tell you how happy I am with this purchase. The lights put a smile on my face every time I get in out

I hope I am not pushing the forum sensibilities too far by asking for your opinions on air fresheners being used in your ride :P I saw one called Air Spencer here. The good part about this is that it does not mount on the air blower, hence, no frustrating over fragrance! What do you guys think?

Also, I tried to visit a touchless car wash in my area and the guide vanes before entering the car wash were narrower and wouldn't fit the Q5. If bent, the car would go in but I was worried that the auto sprayer would scratch the sides. How have your experiences been?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jsrisagar
Hello!

Firstly, I bought this car by pre ending my previous loan of Elantra. I cannot tell you how happy I am with this purchase. The lights put a smile on my face every time I get in out

I hope I am not pushing the forum sensibilities too far by asking for your opinions on air fresheners being used in your ride :P I saw one called Air Spencer here. The good part about this is that it does not mount on the air blower, hence, no frustrating over fragrance! What do you guys think?

Also, I tried to visit a touchless car wash in my area and the guide vanes before entering the car wash were narrower and wouldn't fit the Q5. If bent, the car would go in but I was worried that the auto sprayer would scratch the sides. How have your experiences been?
I knew someone who used the Air Spencer years ago and liked it. I have not come across it recently though (or anyone who even uses an air freshener anymore for that matter).

As for the car wash, just about every pickup truck, minivan and full-size SUV is wider than the Q5. That means over 50% of all vehicles on the road are wider than the Q5. There's no way the car wash wasn't designed to handle an average-sized vehicle.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always felt if the car interior is clean, no air freshener is needed. Not everyone likes all of the different fragrances so it's more considerate to passengers to just go natural. Just my opinion of course.

I agree car washes are designed to accomodate vehicles bigger than the Q5.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I've always felt if the car interior is clean, no air freshener is needed. Not everyone likes all of the different fragrances so it's more considerate to passengers to just go natural. Just my opinion of course.
Same, I've never needed to use air fresheners in any of my cars. The "new car smell" in my 2002 Passat actually seemed like it lasted for a few years before finally going away and ending up with a complete lack of any odor in the car. My 2009 Odyssey went neutral a lot more quickly (a few months, probably), but never developed any odors either.

I keep the car clean, but am not as strict as some on "no eating", etc., especially since mine's the "family car" and we'll do trips in it and have lunch or whatever while driving. Just make sure and pick up any spills and not leave funky things lying around, and it seems easy enough to avoid any lingering odors.

Not that nobody's allowed to buy scents if they want, just personally I prefer neutral (and with the allergies my wife's got I probably couldn't do much of anything anyway) and make sure I don't get any odors I would need to cover up.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Trying to cover up something in case you get pulled over?

Not to judge, but I HATE things that do not smell like they're supposed to. Leather clad German cars are not supposed to smell like Pine-sol or Obsession for men. I've got 2 young kids that DO NOT eat or drink in my car and I don't smoke and love the natural smell of my car. My ex on the other hand has a leather clad Grand Cherokee that she does let the kids eat and drink in, and it smells like a garbage dump even after she cleans it........ so yes, "pine" would probably be a better alternative in that case.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Daughter in law used to be pristine up until the second grand daughter...
now she's lucky to keep up
Not that I was giving any hints or anything, but got her a pack of 'new car smell' odorizers and 5 detailing coupons for her nice 2012 GMC Yukon Denali extended...

I work on the 5 and 7 year old grand daughters all the time about how much of a pig pen their section of the car is... gummy bears, french fries, etc...

maybe some day they'll realize they live in the NICE section of town and should live accordingly