Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh that's strange. What year is your car? I understand that all 2.0T's between 2009-2011 were affected with the faulty oil rings. Got mine back today and it's driving good. Just need to spend the next 1000ks bedding the Pistons in. It will then go back in for a check up, new oil & coolant as they only put water in to give the engine sealants time to settle in before they put coolant in.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

mine is 2010 they will let me know monday whats the verdict but i saw it my self the gauge on the screen was right upto the max level that is without topping up any oil..did i mention last low oil warning come up only after driving just under 200kms and now oil level is at max without adding any oil i don't know whats going on with my car. did you notice any other symptoms other then warnings lights which could prove that car was actually burning oil? how bad was it anyway?

Originally Posted by JaydenC
Oh that's strange. What year is your car? I understand that all 2.0T's between 2009-2011 were affected with the faulty oil rings. Got mine back today and it's driving good. Just need to spend the next 1000ks bedding the Pistons in. It will then go back in for a check up, new oil & coolant as they only put water in to give the engine sealants time to settle in before they put coolant in.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well that is weird. The only thing I noticed was my exhaust tips getting a bit black. The only way though to really see is to strip the engine back and look at the Pistons and oil rings. Pistons will be black in the combustion chamber and oil rings will be all black and clogged with oil. Oh maybe check the spark plugs as they had to replace mine because they said they were all covered in oil and stuffed. I only had them replaced 24,000ks ago.
You might need to get an actual dipstick so you can manually check the oil level. There is a hole for a dipstick but isn't actually a dipstick unless you buy one separately. I noticed mine getting a bit low on oil and so started measuring and recording it. It went from 1100ks/l - 1000ks/l - 800ks/l - 700ks/l - 600ks/l. It then went in for the work. I didn't want to drive it after that. It took 4 weeks to repair as the Pistons were 2.5 weeks delayed coming in from Germany.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

how is your car

Well that is weird. The only thing I noticed was my exhaust tips getting a bit black. The only way though to really see is to strip the engine back and look at the Pistons and oil rings. Pistons will be black in the combustion chamber and oil rings will be all black and clogged with oil. Oh maybe check the spark plugs as they had to replace mine because they said they were all covered in oil and stuffed. I only had them replaced 24,000ks ago.
You might need to get an actual dipstick so you can manually check the oil level. There is a hole for a dipstick but isn't actually a dipstick unless you buy one separately. I noticed mine getting a bit low on oil and so started measuring and recording it. It went from 1100ks/l - 1000ks/l - 800ks/l - 700ks/l - 600ks/l. It then went in for the work. I didn't want to drive it after that. It took 4 weeks to repair as the Pistons were 2.5 weeks delayed coming in from Germany.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah it's good. Done 500ks and oil level has not moved. Driving really nicely. Heading up north this weekend which will be a 500k return trip. Will be a good run for the new Pistons.
How's yours going now?
Old 07-16-2016, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

mine done 300kms so far so good

Yeah it's good. Done 500ks and oil level has not moved. Driving really nicely. Heading up north this weekend which will be a 500k return trip. Will be a good run for the new Pistons.
How's yours going now?
Old 07-17-2016, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I recently purchased a 2010 A4 Quattro and it has been going through oil about every 400 to 600 miles. I took it to Audi and they looked up the VIN and found that my car had already been through stage one of the correction. Unfortunately, the previous owner never took it back to the dealer for the second stage (pistons and rings). Therefore, Audi will not cover the work. It had to have been brought back with 12 months form stage 1. Audi indicated that the estimated cost is about $6,000 to replace the pistons and rings. I have a warranty on the car but am not sure that if I pursue this "high oil usage" issues with the warranty company that they will do anything about it. Of course, I won't know until I try but does anyone have any experience similar? Thanks!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

my oil level has started to drop
How's yours going now?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:06 PM
Cos
AudiWorld Junior Member

I recently bought a 2009 Audi A4 Avant. I am going tomorrow for the Stage 2 repair. I find it so puzzling how previous owners of these cars are just discarding them (for cheap probably) without getting this fix done. The car is great otherwise, runs well but eats all the oil in one sitting.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This was exactly what happened to me and the dealer ended up replacing the pistons and o-rings free of charge.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps