Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 A6 3.0L with 95K miles. First question: is this a vehicle/engine known to have the excessive oil consumption problem? I'm going through about a quart of oil every 2500 miles. Second question: the car still has 2 months of CPO warranty left on it - will that help with (potential) repairs? Thank you.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Does anyone know this Class Lawsuit also filed in Canada?
Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The Problem I am having, is that I had an oil change in April 2017, just at 80K miles; at that time told dealership (Seattle, WA) that I had dumped oil in at around 77K, 78K and again at 79K. I was never told that there could be an issue with my Q5 2.0 when I purchased it in 9/2012 (I don't have the sticker on when it was manufactured). So I just though it was a simple, leak, etc. Now I am being told that I am over the 80K mark and that charges will be on me!?!! REALLY? why did they not suggest a consumption test in April at 80K? Now what?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Before it gets worse, you have to change conrods and pistons otherwise you will need to replace the block and that is expensive. I will not loose time, thinking about it, act fast.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-06-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I own a 2012 Q5 built in Sept 2011 that is starting to use oil at a high rate. I've scheduled an appointment at my Audi dealer to have the excess oil consumption test completed. The service manager tells me that my 2012 is not included in the oil consumption TSB even though I have the CAEB engine. She says there is only a 50/50 chance that Audi will cover the cost of any repairs to fix the excessive oil consumption. I've heard on this forum that 2012's ARE covered by the TSB. Can someone provide me the information I need to bring to my service manager so that I can confirm with them that my 2012 is included in the excessive oil use TSB?
Old 06-11-2017, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsdoornb
I own a 2012 Q5 built in Sept 2011 that is starting to use oil at a high rate. I've scheduled an appointment at my Audi dealer to have the excess oil consumption test completed. The service manager tells me that my 2012 is not included in the oil consumption TSB even though I have the CAEB engine. She says there is only a 50/50 chance that Audi will cover the cost of any repairs to fix the excessive oil consumption. I've heard on this forum that 2012's ARE covered by the TSB. Can someone provide me the information I need to bring to my service manager so that I can confirm with them that my 2012 is included in the excessive oil use TSB?
Anyone out there that can provide the information I am looking for?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Finally Repaired

Originally Posted by bhiggins80@gmail.com
Hi All, my 2011 Premium Plus seems to be burning about a quart every 600 miles. I'm going to see the dealer about it getting it fixed next week.
The car has about 56K miles on it, is there anything you'd recommend I get them to replace (my cost) while they have it all pulled apart ? Tensioner pulley? Water pump?

Thanks,

Brian
Update: I've finally got my car repaired. It took a while to get the paperwork together, to do the first & second oil consumption test & to then get a date with the dealer. I worked with Hamilton Audi in Ontario and they were great. They kept me informed throughout the whole process and gave me a 2017 Q5 as a loaner. In the end, they ended up replacing the pistons, rings, timing chains, tensioner, timing chain cover & the water pump. Audi split the cost of the timing related items and I paid for the water pump (no labour) as I had the old revision that was prone to failure.

Thanks for everyone that helped me sort this out.

Brian
Old 06-16-2017, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Some Interesting Video i found online about the Engine pulled apart showing the piston rings shattered.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

[QUOTE=95-J30tt;24986271]Some Interesting Video i found online about the Engine pulled apart showing the piston rings shattered. QUOTE]

Those shattered rings are the oil rings...surprise! Plus those lose oil ring pieces can score the cylinder walls to were the block needs replacement. These poorly engineered 2.0T causing oil consumption, along with the failing timing chain tensioner that damages valves, heads, and pistons, got to be one of Audi's classic nightmares! A good engine engineering group. along with proper QC testing to destruction would have caught these problems very early on and would have prevented a loss of future Audi owners.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiAudiBangBang

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello, folks. First of, thank you to everybody who provided their input and experiences here. I read through all 36 pages of posts, and am quite frankly a bit overwhelmed with the breadth of information I've received so far. So thanks!

I am a recent owner of a new-to-me 2011 Audi Q5 with the 2.0T engine with a tad of 73k miles on her. Previous owner has all documentation of services from an Audi dealership. I am concerned that my car is affected by the oil consumption issue, so I called Audi of USA to create a case that I can refer to if needed. I also set up an appointment with a local dealer to perform the oil consumption test.

Audi USA did tell me that the first two phases of the test will be an out-of-pocket expense. Is this true? Also, since I'm close to the 75k maintenance service, she recommended that I have that done along with the oil consumption test simultaneously.

I started a log of my correspondence with Audi just for my protection. Will also update this post as best I can. Good luck to all who are stuck in a rut with this car! She's a beaut, but damn these poorly engineered problems!

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps