Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 262059

Default Software Upgrade for Steering

Today I had my 8000K service done in Canada on my 2013 Q5 Prem Plus 2.0....

Issue #1: They said there was a software update to take care of a steering recall.

I have to say, the car drives literally 100% different and I'm not sure I like it. It's SUPER loose. I felt driving down the highway I had to be so on the ball as the car wheel would simply move back and forth with no tension.

Doesn't feel like a great upgrade or fix. Is there somewhere I can read about what was done and why?

Issue #2: Would they have fooled with my wipers at all? On the way home a truck sprayed some slushy snowy mud on me. When the wipers kicked in, there was a giant spot directly in my field of vision that the wipers just wouldnt wipe. It's like they were adjusted or something.

I had to pull over to wipe the mud off. Obviously not ideal.

Any ideas?
canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
Today I had my 8000K service done in Canada on my 2013 Q5 Prem Plus 2.0....

Issue #1: They said there was a software update to take care of a steering recall.

I have to say, the car drives literally 100% different and I'm not sure I like it. It's SUPER loose. I felt driving down the highway I had to be so on the ball as the car wheel would simply move back and forth with no tension.

Doesn't feel like a great upgrade or fix. Is there somewhere I can read about what was done and why?

Issue #2: Would they have fooled with my wipers at all? On the way home a truck sprayed some slushy snowy mud on me. When the wipers kicked in, there was a giant spot directly in my field of vision that the wipers just wouldnt wipe. It's like they were adjusted or something.

I had to pull over to wipe the mud off. Obviously not ideal.

Any ideas?
Did you try using the windshield wash to remove the mud. Could have just been so oily that the blades could not remove it.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 168544

Washer fluid sprayers on Audi's suck!!! My 2010 S5 and now my 2014 SQ5 have the worst sprayers on the market. I don't know why Audi thinks the sprayers need to work at 5 million psi and shoot 3 streams. And nice mist would work.
JBDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 226959

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDinTX View Post
Washer fluid sprayers on Audi's suck!!! My 2010 S5 and now my 2014 SQ5 have the worst sprayers on the market. I don't know why Audi thinks the sprayers need to work at 5 million psi and shoot 3 streams. And nice mist would work.
LOL and as soon as the nozzle is mis-aligned, it shoots fluid like a water gun straight over your roof onto the person driving behind you.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 184703

Quote:
And nice mist would work.

Yes it is nice but ....
Try this system at -15C = 5F degrees at a speed of 70-80 km/h

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 181735

Disable the DSR and the steering will feel much tighter.
tomaszp72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 247171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
LOL and as soon as the nozzle is mis-aligned, it shoots fluid like a water gun straight over your roof onto the person driving behind you.
Just last week I stopped into the dealership to get the passenger side nozzles adjusted. One jet was spraying a stream in the air off to the right of the car.

It was a busy morning (bitter cold with some snow) but they got a tech to look at it, make the adjustment and I was out in 5-10 minutes. A small gesture, but appreciated.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 168544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q5 Bob View Post
Just last week I stopped into the dealership to get the passenger side nozzles adjusted. One jet was spraying a stream in the air off to the right of the car.

It was a busy morning (bitter cold with some snow) but they got a tech to look at it, make the adjustment and I was out in 5-10 minutes. A small gesture, but appreciated.
I will have then look at mine at my 5k service.
JBDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 173495

Quote:
I will have then look at mine at my 5k service.

I notice that the upper right part of my windshield doesn't get much fluid. It's usually still salt covered after cleaning attempts. Are you guys saying that this can be adjusted? That would be nice.

I think my steering felt much better after the update. I felt the notchiness and was frequently correcting trying to go straight.

2014 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T Quattro, Tiptronic, Prestige, Comfort Package, Ash inlays, PIO rear decklid spoiler, S5 mirrors. Brilliant Red - Black interior.

2013 Q5 3.0T Quattro S-line, Premium Plus, 19" wheels, B&O, Navigation, Dark Walnut inlay. Monsoon Gray - black interior, Curt Hitch

(traded) 2012 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T Quattro, Tiptronic, Prestige, Comfort Package, Dark Walnut inlay, Stainless exhaust tips and S5 mirrors. Brilliant Red - Black interior

(traded) 2010 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T Quattro, Tiptronic, Prestige, Comfort Package, Stainless exhaust tips, and S5 mirrors. Brilliant Red - Black interior

JGA5Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 184703

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGA5Cab View Post
I notice that the upper right part of my windshield doesn't get much fluid. It's usually still salt covered after cleaning attempts. Are you guys saying that this can be adjusted? That would be nice.

I think my steering felt much better after the update. I felt the notchiness and was frequently correcting trying to go straight.
Adjusting jets

Click the image to open in full size.

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement