Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 or Cayenne…

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A base Cayenne is an exercise in pointlessness imo. If you aren't going for a performance model you'd be better served getting something cheaper and with way more capability- like a hemi grand cherokee overland - that is assuming you really want the space of a cayenne sized vehicle. You can get an ABSOLUTELY loaded Overland Summit with the Hemi for $56k - or a very very loaded Hemi Overland for $50k. The summit is arguably nicer inside (than a base Cayenne), quicker, much better offroad and in the snow, and can tow quite a bit more. Compare that to a stripper Cayenne which starts at $58k...is a badge really worth that much to you? A badge on a stripper model?

If you dont really want the space and value a vehicle that is fun to drive get the SQ5.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Economically, I'd expect the SQ5 would be on top, but it's hard to put a value on intangibles like aesthetics and "feel" and it sounds like you like the Cayenne better there. A "head vs. heart" sort of problem, which is the worst kind. You'd need to compromise in a number of areas to get the Cayenne, but maybe it's worth it to you and you'll be happier that way? I know all the SQ5 owners here absolutely love them and have zero regrets, but I don't know if anyone was cross-shopping with SUVs like the Cayenne.

As a sibling you could also check out how the Touareg compares these days -- in the first generation even the Porsche guys were saying you were better off going Touareg unless you wanted to go Turbo, but I would hope there's more justification for the base and S trims these days. You'd also lose if nothing else the brand image and styling, which if I had to guess would throw you back over to the SQ5 (the Touaregs do look good, but it's not the same design language).

Do you have need of the things that being a truck (SUV) gets the Cayenne, such as extra towing capacity? The SQ5 will be quite a bit faster than the Cayenne but consumes the same amount of fuel. Handling would likely be different, but a Porsche-tuned SUV could be comparable to an Audi-tuned performance CUV (I haven't driven either personally). How much extra space is there really, and is it a "nice to have" or "must have"? What do you really like about the Cayenne over the SQ5, and what do you like on the SQ5 over the Cayenne? Either should be fine, just a matter of what you really want.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Again more good input. We are on our second Toyota Land Cruiser, which is why I like the slightly larger size of the Cayenne over the Q5 platform. As far as the base 6 cylinder model not being a performer, when compared to the steady as you go transport of the LC, it's a huge step up in handling and overall performance.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

My brother's Cayenne Turbo S, while lots of fun to drive, has been a maintenance nightmare.

The local Porsche dealer can't even service it properly because they've never even seen a Turbo S other than his. Every time something goes wrong, they pretty much tell him to go to the indy shop that does the performance cars.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

My previous 2 SUVs prior to my current SQ5 were Cayennes (2008 CS and 2011 Hybrid).

All three of the cars were/are trouble free and I can't yet speak to the Audi maintenance costs as I have owned the car for less than a year, but the Porsche maintenance costs were reasonable for a higher-end car.

The build quality was similar in both cars (I had rattles in the hybrid, but the CS and SQ5 were both silent) and the seats were equally comfortable. The electronics in the car are different (touch screen vs. central controller), but both are fine once you get used to them. The comfort of the seats is about the same in both cars.

I think it comes down to three things:
1. Do you need to tow more than 4000 pounds? If so, you need the Cayenne
2. Which interior do you like better? Only you can answer that
3. Do you need the slightly bigger back seat and trunk area in the Cayenne?

Obviously budget is important and the SQ5 is a fantastic value compared to the Porsche. One more thought - the SQ5 (on paper) is faster than the base Cayenne is on par with the Cayenne S and as such, it is no slouch. The suspension in the Cayennes is likely better (esp with the air suspension), but few take their SUVs to the track.

You can't go wrong with either.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ser968
...but few take their SUVs to the track.
I do!
I do!

It sounds like you're leaning towards the Cayenne. If you need the space, maybe it's best for you.
I considered the Cayenne, but realized that I would become disappointed later, having not gone beyond my budget for more power. Buyer's remorse sucks, especially when it's in that $ range.
I spent the savings from my SQ5 to "refresh" my 4Runner. I still really like it, and it helps keep a few miles off the SQ5. I couldn't be happier.
I didn't buy the SQ5 for the track, but it works!

Last edited by SQive; 11-23-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've driven many of the vehicles in this segment (RR sport, Cayenne, X3, Q5, Macan, etc.), and I think the sweet spot, the vehicle that really stands out, is the Cayenne diesel. It has gobs of low end torque so it really pulls hard from down low, it's only negligibly less fun to drive than an S in the real world, but you'll also see mpg in the 30s, and it costs a good $10k or more less than a comparably equipped S. When I tried one, I couldn't believe how good it was, especially compared to the base petrol V6, which is fairly gutless. I was really tempted, but I didn't need the extra size, and ended up in a Q5 TDI instead. But the Cayenne interior is really first rate. It's so much better than a Touareg's I think it justifies the premium easily.

As a side note, some people recoil at the "omg a diesel in a Porsche" thing, but that's just knee jerk idiocy. Diesels don't belong in Porsche sports cars, but they're a perfect match for big SUVs, which is why Porsche, a first rate engineering company, uses them. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pratfall
I've driven many of the vehicles in this segment (RR sport, Cayenne, X3, Q5, Macan, etc.), and I think the sweet spot, the vehicle that really stands out, is the Cayenne diesel. It has gobs of low end torque so it really pulls hard from down low, it's only negligibly less fun to drive than an S in the real world, but you'll also see mpg in the 30s, and it costs a good $10k or more less than a comparably equipped S. When I tried one, I couldn't believe how good it was, especially compared to the base petrol V6, which is fairly gutless. I was really tempted, but I didn't need the extra size, and ended up in a Q5 TDI instead. But the Cayenne interior is really first rate. It's so much better than a Touareg's I think it justifies the premium easily.

As a side note, some people recoil at the "omg a diesel in a Porsche" thing, but that's just knee jerk idiocy. Diesels don't belong in Porsche sports cars, but they're a perfect match for big SUVs, which is why Porsche, a first rate engineering company, uses them. Good luck.
I agree with every letter