Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Voice command

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by imdakine1
I did the voice training a few weeks ago. I actually do a send to car featuring using the audi connect iPhone app or when on my computer. Works like a charm!

I'll test the voice command features in the next few days. I do wonder how natural the voice command is vs the new Subaru one which definitely seems to be easy.

You can say passenger side heat to 75 degrees and it changes it for you etc...
That's pretty cool. Audi's voice control is definitely not that far along. You can't control everything with voice control and AC is one of the functions you can't control. Voice control is basically limited to navigation, telephone, radio and media.

I kinda like the balance that Audi strikes with voice control and some buttons. Certain things take longer to say than to just do yourself. For example changing the temperature. Frankly it's quicker with the dials in the Audi than pressing the voice control button on the steering wheel, waiting for the voice prompt and then say that you want to change the temperature.

We are still quite far away from true natural language control. For example, today's voice control falls apart if you have passengers talking next to you and you are trying to get the car to obey your command. It will take a few more years before we can talk to a computer like we talk to a person and the computer is able to focus on a single person in the room without getting confused with what everybody else is saying.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes as of the MMI 3G+. You just say "Enter address", then the MMI lady tells you to speak the full address as you naturally would to a human being. It takes a little bit of time to process it, but it sure beats entering an address with the dial or having to spell the street name etc. as it was in the older MMI.
You can also state "Online Destination" for a business, which is documented in Google's database and if you have Audi Connect. Then merely state the business name and city,state it is located. I find this method easier than entering the address since it will auto-populate the address and ask you to confirm the address from Google's database.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by - B -
You can also state "Online Destination" for a business, which is documented in Google's database and if you have Audi Connect. Then merely state the business name and city,state it is located. I find this method easier than entering the address since it will auto-populate the address and ask you to confirm the address from Google's database.
This is what I do most of the time. After Online Destination, you can say Starbucks, for example and it will list all of the Starbucks near your current location and you can pick the one you want.

I use the Send To Car feature from my phone, tablet or laptop all of the time when planning a tip or outing.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did the voice training when I got my 2014. Never used a voice command just never think about it. If it was a extra cost option I would not have bought it.. By the time I have thought about it I've usually done the operation with the buttons and dials. We don't have Audi Connect here in Canada so some of the neat things mentioned below are not available anyway.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Absolutely! I rarely ever enter just an address. Most of the time I look up the destination in Google Maps before I leave and send it to the car and then just pull it up. For unplanned destinations I do the above. Or if the address is in my contacts I just say "Navigate to John Smith". Or if I need directions back to my house I just say "Home address" and it pulls my home address from the favorites.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-31-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Absolutely! I rarely ever enter just an address. Most of the time I look up the destination in Google Maps before I leave and send it to the car and then just pull it up. For unplanned destinations I do the above. Or if the address is in my contacts I just say "Navigate to John Smith". Or if I need directions back to my house I just say "Home address" and it pulls my home address from the favorites.
Be careful with inputting your full home address. If your Q5 is stolen, the individual who stole your car can gain access to where you live and get past your gate and/or garage door with Homelink. Then they can steal even more of your belongings from your home since the Q5 becomes a master key to everything you own.

Last edited by - B -; 08-31-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course, that information is also on your insurance verification form, and any other documentation you have in the vehicle.
What I'd like, is the ability to trace the Lo-Jack on my own, catch the bastard, and...well, you can use your imagination.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Be careful with inputting your full home address. If your Q5 is stolen, the individual who stole your car can gain access to where you live and get past your gate and/or garage door with Homelink. Then they can steal even more of your belongings from your home since the Q5 becomes a master key to everything you own.
I suppose somebody could clean out my garage if they try before I get home and erase all the codes from my garage door opener. The house itself is protected by an alarm and the door between garage and house has a secure lock.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some sources recommend if you have your home address saved on your nav, to give it a name other than "Home". It might help to confuse the perp.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Some sources recommend if you have your home address saved on your nav, to give it a name other than "Home". It might help to confuse the perp.
Perhaps that's a good idea, but the MMI actually has a well known favorite for the home address. I don't think you can rename it.

However, let's be clear about something. Without the thieve first stealing the key from you, they don't just boot up the MMI and extract your home address from it. Everything in the car is coded to the chip in your key and if you are particular paranoid you can go to the MMI settings and turn on encryption, which encrypts everything you have stored in the MMI. Much easier to ****** your registration from the glove compartment if they want to know where you live. Same goes for the homelink module. They first have to get it to power up somehow. Again, obviously all very easy if they steal your key first and get to your car before you can stop by a dealer and have that key deauthorized. If they don't have an authorized key it's gonna take a very skilled car thieve.

Security is all about layers. No single layer is secure by itself. The more layers somebody has to get past in order to steal something from you the less likely you'll be a target.

The much easier targets are those that carry a detachable remote for their garage door in their car. All it takes is somebody break in to the car take the remote and registration and walk up to your garage door and Bingo. The defense to that are the rolling code garage door openers where you can erase all authorized remotes, so you render a stolen remote useless. I sure hope all of you have a modern rolling code garage door opener by now.