Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 SQ5 Sunroof rattle...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The dealer couldn't find the exact culprit, but we assumed that possible loose fitting or misaligned parts contacting with each other.
So, after disassemble and reassemble, and re-tightening them together might have corrected the problems.
But, time will tell, and I will let you know after about 6+months, so that I can definitely say I'm sunroof rattle free.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce B
The easy way to test for sunroof noise is to open the sunroof as you drive. If the noise goes away when the roof is open then...
You know it is the roof!
Bruce
Now that was just too easy Thanks!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQ5guyinSoCal
Just took my 2016 SQ5 in for its first service at 5K. I told them of a rattle in the pano roof and was advised that there is actually a service bulletin out for that issue. Going to order new frame and do the repair. That picture above already has given me sleepless nights. At least my family owns the Audi dealership so if they mess it up, I know who to talk to! LOL
Is there any chance that service bulletin might cover a car out of warranty? I'm fairly convinced the noise I hear is the sunroof, as it seems to disappear if I open the roof at all. Don't think that would have an effect on the tailgate if it was the rattle source!

I know sometimes manufacturers will cover items in a TSB beyond the warranty period.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One month update.
cracking noise came back~!
I guess replacing the entire sunroof frame is the way to go next!
My dealer is in the process of getting approval to order the frame for my vehicle.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Sunroof Frame Replacement

I have a 2014 Q5 TDI. Last winter the sunroof rattle / creaking came. An open / closing cycle would quiet the rattle / creaks briefly and come back. Dealer service department cleaned the track and lubricated the mechanism. Needless to say that it didn't resolve the problem. The rattle / creak went away during the warm weather.

Cooler weather came back and so did the rattle / creaks this past October. I reported the problem to service department and they did a repair of applying felt to the edges of the sunroof. At first it seemed fixed but as it got colder, the rattles / creaks got worse.

I brought in on Friday for 45K service, along for sunroof airbag recall and again complained about sunroof rattles / creaks. Service department called latter in day saying they would like to keep car because Audi approved a replacement of the sunroof frame. I had a loaner Q5 so that was ok with me. I couldn't believe they had the frame in stock. I guess they are replacing a lot of them. Hope this finally resolves the issue.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I have a 2014 Q5 TDI. Last winter the sunroof rattle / creaking came. An open / closing cycle would quiet the rattle / creaks briefly and come back. Dealer service department cleaned the track and lubricated the mechanism. Needless to say that it didn't resolve the problem. The rattle / creak went away during the warm weather.

Cooler weather came back and so did the rattle / creaks this past October. I reported the problem to service department and they did a repair of applying felt to the edges of the sunroof. At first it seemed fixed but as it got colder, the rattles / creaks got worse.

I brought in on Friday for 45K service, along for sunroof airbag recall and again complained about sunroof rattles / creaks. Service department called latter in day saying they would like to keep car because Audi approved a replacement of the sunroof frame. I had a loaner Q5 so that was ok with me. I couldn't believe they had the frame in stock. I guess they are replacing a lot of them. Hope this finally resolves the issue.
I wish you luck! I hope you don't get additional rattles.

I'm sure that you looked at the #4 post video in this thread above. That scares me!

Plus this one..........

Old 02-19-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I wish you luck! I hope you don't get additional rattles.

I'm sure that you looked at the #4 post video in this thread above. That scares me!

Plus this one..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXbp3C-o8ug
Yes... but I can't take the rattles. I hope they do a good job. I hope they road test the car before they replace the headliner and the pillars, and make sure of a good fix.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Yes... but I can't take the rattles. I hope they do a good job. I hope they road test the car before they replace the headliner and the pillars, and make sure of a good fix.
I respect owners that have sunroofs, but I'm not one of them, for the rattles and leaks. I custom ordered my 2014 without a sunroof for those reasons.

I see the Gen II 2018 Q5's also have the option of sunroof or not.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm on the second frame replacement due to loud creaking. The original frame lasted about a year before creaking, the second one about a year before creaking, and now I'm 1 month into the third one. Nice and quiet again. If it lasts at least a year, I'll keep hitting them up for warranty replacements through my 7 year warranty.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I respect owners that have sunroofs, but I'm not one of them, for the rattles and leaks. I custom ordered my 2014 without a sunroof for those reasons.

I see the Gen II 2018 Q5's also have the option of sunroof or not.
This is good to know for me as I'm looking to replace our 2010 Q5, which does not have a sunroof. I too custom ordered it sans sunroof and will do the same with a 2018 Q5.

Quick Reply: 2016 SQ5 Sunroof rattle...