Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VW/Audi definitely has an incentive to "fix" or buy the effected cars back. Under the terms of the 2.0L TDI settlement VW would incur fines of about $18,000 per car.

Also, under the same agreement states that accept the huge cash payments to individual states for emissions violations agree that effected cars must be allowed registration renewal and and continued use in that state.

I expect something similar for our 3.0L Audis.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi 3.0 TDI resolution

Guys,
I don't know what consolation it may be but I ran into an Audi higher up in a rest area the other day here in Michigan and asked him about the TDI situation. He told me two things: 1) No decision would be forthcoming until January and 2) we'd be happy.
Read into that whatever you want.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with the Audi spokesman's advice. I predict that most of us will be completely satisfied with the eventual Audi offer unless someone is expecting to win the lottery.

I have a VW TDI which is included in the 2.0L settlement. I've received a formal buy back offer which is much greater than the car is actually worth. I'm slowly working through the buy back procedure to let VW buy it back - probably in January.

No complaint from me.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Under the terms of the 2.0L TDI settlement VW would incur fines of about $18,000 per car."
So, the owners could ask for an additional ten or fifteen grand in "incentive" payments, and VWG would still come out ahead, as opposed to paying the fine.
Hmmm.....Interesting. Sounds like there'll be a game of chicken being played as next year winds down.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
"Under the terms of the 2.0L TDI settlement VW would incur fines of about $18,000 per car."
So, the owners could ask for an additional ten or fifteen grand in "incentive" payments, and VWG would still come out ahead, as opposed to paying the fine.
Hmmm.....Interesting. Sounds like there'll be a game of chicken being played as next year winds down.
I suppose they could. My guess is the range will be between about $5k and $10k plus retrofit to reduce emissions similar to the VW settlement.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TDI-related junk mail?

Yesterday, I received both a flyer from the local Infiniti dealership along the lines of "Volkswagen and Audi diesel owners: time for a change?" Along with a letter from some law firm saying owners of 3.0L TDI owners should opt out of the settlement and pursue their own course of action. Anyone else getting these things?
I guess the Infiniti one worked, a friend of mine told me her mom just sold back her Passat (bought the day before the scandal broke) and got a QX50 hehe
Old 12-12-2016, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure how "my" Infinity dealer would know I own a Q5TDI?
Old 12-12-2016, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

No one needs to sign up with a lawyer in order to participate in the Audi settlement that will soon be announced.

The settlement is currently being reviewed by DOJ, EPA, CARB, and a law firm representing all owners of effected cars. Anyone who wants to be included will be simply by registering on the VWGoA website.

Once the parties reach a settlement owners of some cars equipped with 3.0L TDI engines will probably be offered buy backs at generous prices plus compensation, and some will be offered cash compensation and modification of the cars to bring them into compliance with a new revised emission standard.

There is no need to rush into signing up with a law firm to sue VW or Audi.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Not sure how "my" Infinity dealer would know I own a Q5TDI? "
That's easy, he bought a list of TDI owners within the local county or zip codes. Might have cost him a buck per name. Could have bought it from your state DMV or from a private list company.
Or, he could buy a list of "all Google Maps customers who have visited an Audi dealer in the last 12 months". And found another way to refine that down to TDI owners. (Bought any accessories on Amazon? Or one of the auto chains, that asks what kind of car you own? That info is all for sale.)

Welcome to the world of Big Data. And big egos, because that dealer has to be Real Damn Sure what your car will be worth, or whether the diesel "payments" can be assigned to him. Or, he might just be pandering on fear and planning to offer damned little.

Now if you really want to be scared of Big Data...forget the fact that Google knows and monetizes everything you do with any Google app, including GMail. (Yes, they read it all.) Search for "Project Deep Face", a very quiet Facebook facial image recognition program that has been running for over five years, and has the CIA envious because their software isn't as powerful. Project Deep Face identifies faces in every photo posted on Facebook. They decline to comment on whether they have run it elsewhere. But it tags every photo with every name, and the assumption is that it also tags you with every association it can make from there. Who your friends are, where you like to vacation, what kind of cloths you might want to buy....Heck, maybe you posted a picture of "My Audi TDI" on it, and the dealer bought that.(G)

Folks in the EU have much better privacy protection laws than Colonials have.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Any Updates?

Anyone hear anything about the 3.0 TDI settlement?

Just mildly surprised that nothing has leaked out since there appeared to be an understanding by all parties on the technical fix- and that this information was released prior to the Nov 30 deadline.

This has left me believing the 'sticking point' is about the financial terms for consumers. I hope I am wrong, but it seems the Judges allowing a further extension to Dec 16 under the belief that VW and other parties would be reached may not happen by Dec 16.

So if not, how do you think Judge Breyer ought to respond? agree to another extension?

Quick Reply: YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs