Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

4 Wheel Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Wheel Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

I'm looking to change the front and rear pads and rotors on my 2011 TDI Q7.

I have a 2 post lift in my garage and have done this on several other cars of different makes but never an Audi, so I have a few questions.

Is there a DIY video on how to do this? I've seen several for the pads but none for the rotors.

Seeing that the vehicle uses one piece wheel studs, do the callipers have to be unbolted to remove the rotors or can you remove the rotors with the callipers in place?

Are there any special tools required?

If the callipers have to be unbolted, where can I get proper torque numbers for re-assembly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jonathan
Old 09-22-2014, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

www.audiworld.com/forums/q7/brakepad-DIY.html
Old 09-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2008 q7 and I'm doing the same project as you. I did the fronts a few days ago which ended up being easier than i thought. Normal tools nothing out of the ordinary. When i took off the rear wheels i noticed the bolts were different and that i did not have the proper tools for. I ended up ordering the following which i was told from another forum will have the right sockets to complete the job. I planned to complete the rears this weekend if not tonight so i can let you know how it turn out.

Capri Tools XZN Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set, Metric, 10-Piece - - Amazon.com Capri Tools XZN Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set, Metric, 10-Piece - - Amazon.com
Old 09-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vinniety
I have a 2008 q7 and I'm doing the same project as you. I did the fronts a few days ago which ended up being easier than i thought. Normal tools nothing out of the ordinary. When i took off the rear wheels i noticed the bolts were different and that i did not have the proper tools for. I ended up ordering the following which i was told from another forum will have the right sockets to complete the job. I planned to complete the rears this weekend if not tonight so i can let you know how it turn out.

Capri Tools XZN Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set, Metric, 10-Piece - - Amazon.com
I found a bit more info as well. I read where you need the longer triple square bit to remove the calliper bolts (60 mm long bit).

I'm going to order a set of impact grade longer bits (XZN400 XZN 9 pcs).

When you did the fronts, did you have to loosen the bracket holding the connection of the flex hose and the rigid line going to the calliper? If so, what bit was required to loosen it?
Old 09-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well as of last night I was able to complete the rears with the tool in the link I posted. Worked awesome, I'm happy I bought it. As for taking brake lines or anything else off there was no need. I hung the caliper using a long wire tie. You definitely need a long braking bar for the rear bolts but nothing else. I do highly recommend getting all new hardware there was no need to use the old ones.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vinniety
Well as of last night I was able to complete the rears with the tool in the link I posted. Worked awesome, I'm happy I bought it. As for taking brake lines or anything else off there was no need. I hung the caliper using a long wire tie. You definitely need a long braking bar for the rear bolts but nothing else. I do highly recommend getting all new hardware there was no need to use the old ones.
Thanks for that. I had planned on getting new hardware for all 4 wheels--doesn't make sense to get new pads and rotors and use old retaining clips and pins.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i plan on doing this soon also:

Radguy can you list all the new hardware items you ordered (retaining clips etc)

Icon the link does not come up??

I ordered the triple square 10 piece set but I see Radguy said to get longer ones ?? are these really needed or will the regular set work just fine ??

thanks
Old 09-29-2014, 03:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did not need the long ones. The ones I ordered in the link worked out fine for me. If you need to add an extension to the ratchet you can always do so if you think it will help. As for the hardware its actually a kit look it up on line you will see it. You don't need anything more or less than what it comes with. Good luck
Old 09-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BC1999
i plan on doing this soon also:

Radguy can you list all the new hardware items you ordered (retaining clips etc)

Icon the link does not come up??

I ordered the triple square 10 piece set but I see Radguy said to get longer ones ?? are these really needed or will the regular set work just fine ??

thanks
I ordered the hardware kits from ECS Tuning.

Front kit:

Audi Q7 TDI Braking Caliper - 7L0698269A - Brake Hardware Kit - ES#414747

Rear kit:

Audi Q7 TDI Braking Caliper - 7L0698269 - Rear Brake Hardware Kit - ES#252204

The front kit is Audi OEM, the rear kit is aftermarket.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent thanks .. what do you guys recomment for crossed drilled rotors ?? im presuming I will be coming up to changing brakes soon (@ 60k) and I might as well set it up nice with some good rotors and ceramic pads .. thanks in advance

Originally Posted by Radguy
I ordered the hardware kits from ECS Tuning.

Front kit:

Audi Q7 TDI Braking Caliper - 7L0698269A - Brake Hardware Kit - ES#414747

Rear kit:

Audi Q7 TDI Braking Caliper - 7L0698269 - Rear Brake Hardware Kit - ES#252204

The front kit is Audi OEM, the rear kit is aftermarket.