Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

MMI Malfunction - Shutting Down

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My finance's S4 has started doing these strange MMI things as well. This thread has been very enlightening!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
My finance's S4 has started doing these strange MMI things as well. This thread has been very enlightening!
Good luck. Hopefully they will get you taken care of quickly.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default This is no new issue...

Originally Posted by AtlantisBlue
So, I got a call from the dealership on Monday that they were able to get the allegedly failing module in from another dealership. I dropped off the Q7 at 7:00 AM on Tuesday, Dec 2. I received a call from service advisor at 4:30 same day saying that they had replaced the 5F module and let the MMI run for 2 hours on AC power and that it seemed to function fine.

However, the service advisor did also state that Audi is concerned about the 2015 MMI issues and he asked me to pay close attention to exactly what functions I was performing if/when the MMI shuts down again. Best I can gather, this is a pretty widespread issue with 2015 and due to the nature of the problem they are having a hard time trapping any error codes, although it seems to happen in the fiber loop.

Anyway: less than 15 minutes after heading home from the dealership the MMI went dark. At that time I was running NAV and had recently turned on Google view and at the EXACT time the unit went dark I was attempting to change the Sirius channel from preview to a different station by using the steering wheel scroll button. I think the bottom line for testing is they actually need to be using different functions in order to cause the failure; simply letting it sit idol does not cause the fault.

I take Q back to dealership on Monday morning so they can take another look!

At what point do I request they replace the entire MMI?
My 2010 S5 did this for first time yesterday. Did the reboot, nothing. It came back on hours later for 10 minutes and then out again. In the garage all night, nothing even with a reboot again.
This makes me reconsider if I'll buy a third Audi. Will see how dealer reacts Monday.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm experiencing the same problem in my 2015 A3. What did you do to rectify the problem

Update: I take the Q7 into dealership on Friday afternoon (first opportunity my schedule allows) for them to (hopefully) fix the possessed MMI.

Here is what I've documented:

--Problem started on Monday, 11/17 (on day 2 after pick up)

--Problem occurs after I have been driving for approximately 25 - 40 minutes.

--I noticed last night that, just before the screen goes black and MMI dies; the screen actually brightens up to what seems to be max bright setting.

--Pressing the "screen on" button will bring the MMI back up... but
...Steering wheel buttons will not work.
...Backup/Front cameras will not come up, even though the MMI screen is on - it stays on what ever setting it is currently on (usually Media).

-- MMI will not immediately shut down after engine is turned off and door is opened
...nor will it shut down even after doors are locked.

-- Letting the car sit for about 20-30 minutes seems to resolve the problem - at least until I drive for another 25+ minutes.

Here is a video showing engine off, door open and MMI still running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olcw...ature=youtu.be

Theory: MMI is overheating.

Anyone else experiencing these symptoms?
Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have similar mmi problem! it comes on the suddenly switches off! Iput a after mahout one in and still work the same
Old 12-12-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So, I just took delivery of my new 2015 Q7 Sline w/MMI Nav Plus on Saturday night (11/15/14). On Monday morning (11/17) the MMI screen went black and MMI shut off when I was about 5 minutes from my office. After getting to the office, I left the car shut off for about 30 minutes, when I started the car, the MMI came back up to the "initilizing" screen. I chalked it up to a fluke.

BUT - on my way home tonight (11/18), about 5 minutes from home. the MMI shut down again. The shut down means the screen is black and all function buttons were out. (see pics). I will be taking the car back for the dealership to check it out and fix the issue.

Have any of you had the same issues? On a 2 day old Audi?

Originally Posted by mikey p
I'm experiencing the same problem in my 2015 A3. What did you do to rectify the problem
My 2008 Q7 4.1L has 230,000 k and i have the same problem ! i just put and after market MMI board in and it worked for 4 hours then crashes ! it seem like a short in the electronic ! I would demand a new MMI Board A 30 minute replacement
Old 12-12-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Get use to the disappointment ! My 2008 Q7 4.2L S line has 230,000 k and I do my own repairs Oder you on line repair manual ASP
Old 12-18-2017, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikey p
In my case, the issues started happening almost immediately after taking delivery of my '15 Q7; when it had only 300(ish) miles on it from what I recall. The final fix for the MMI shutting down was the replacement of the Gateway Interface Module (part# 4F0-907-468-S).