Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

TDi fuel filter change

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsuQ7
Great information. I am going to be due for service (55K major maintenance) on my 2011 Q7 TDI, from what I can gather the following items need to be replaced:

Air filter
Spark plugs
Oil & Oil Filter
AdBlue fluid refill
Cabin filter
Fuel filter - remove water only

Did I miss anything?

Also, does anyone know the torque specs for the spark plug?

Thanks!
TDI does not have any spark plugs (you have glow plugs, but you don't replace them until a CEL light gives you a fault code. for which plug to replace)
Fuel filter complete replace not just water.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smith2010Q7
TDI does not have any spark plugs (you have glow plugs, but you don't replace them until a CEL light gives you a fault code. for which plug to replace)
Fuel filter complete replace not just water.
Thanks, wishing I read this earlier, I already ordered the glow plugs, still I wonder why the owners manual calls for replacing the glow plugs at the 55K service.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsuQ7
Great information. I am going to be due for service (55K major maintenance) on my 2011 Q7 TDI, from what I can gather the following items need to be replaced:

Air filter
Spark plugs
Oil & Oil Filter
AdBlue fluid refill
Cabin filter
Fuel filter - remove water only

Did I miss anything?

Also, does anyone know the torque specs for the spark plug?

Thanks!
No spark plugs on a diesel engine. You have glow plugs and they are not due to be replaced. In fact, I don't think they are part of any scheduled service. They only are used to start a very cold engine. You can tell when they are energized when a yellow indicator in the instrument cluster illuminates during start. It looks like this:
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2014, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, the 2011 doesn't have a water separator. Just a paper element for a fuel filter. Re-read my original post for an explanation on how to change it.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just finished up the oil and filter change. Now I am ready for the fuel filter change but I have some questions:

-are the input and/or output lines to the filter pressurized with diesel fuel
-do you need to pinch the fuel lines before removing them
-can you use VAG software to prime the new fuel filter

-also, does anyone know where the cabin filter is located for the 2011 Q7 TDI (this also part of the 55k service)

Thanks in advance
Old 01-03-2015, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not up to speed for the fuel cause I still have Audi Care, but this web sit is good for your cabin.

Cabin Filter Replacement: Audi Q7 2007-2014 - 2009 Audi Q7 Premium 3.6L V6
Old 01-07-2015, 12:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2019, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 2011 Q7 TDI Priming

Old thread but wanted to update for others. I have a 2011 Q7 TDI and I just changed the filter. I heard people say the ignition could prime it and they do it 3 times and others say you need to run it the pump using a scan tool. I have ODBeleven so I wasn't worried either way, but I did find out by accident the ignition will activate the lift pump, but just not right away.

I had my hood up after the install so I could put my hand on the filter to feel it being purged in case it was hard to hear. I flipped the ignition on and went straight to the filter. While waiting for ODBeleven to connect and searching thru the output tests I heard the pump kick on and purged out all of the air before it kicked off. It kicked on about 60 to 120 seconds from flipping the ignition.

I then ran the lift pump with ODBeleven which runs it for a while about 10 seconds on 5 seconds off for a while. I didn't hear any more air purge during this process so I think the ignition activation took care of most of it.

Just a heads up if you don't have a tool to trigger the pump yours may be similar and the pump kick on from the ignition, though it may take a minute or two before it kicks on. I suppose you could repeat the process a few times to make sure it is fully purged.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am also planning to replace my fuel filter. I have 2014 Q7 TDI 3 lit. I am only afraid of $7000 fuel pump replacement cost after reading this thread.
- I want to know if my primary/low pressure pump will run by ignition switch?
- Do I need VCD If I take care of filling up the new filter with fuel and also the lines before putting it back? (I dont have VCD) Have one but says does not include model Q7.may be old version.
- does tiny amount of air in pipe if left over is that critical .
- I am going to fill up the new filter and piping ends before putting it togather.
- are the rubber clamps of 2014 fuel filter (Filter is like a inline aluminum tube) simply pulled up to remove them?

Thanks,
Old 11-17-2019, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

I just pinched off the fuel lines with these: https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-65116.html

then replaced the fuel filter with a new one the same way I took the old one off, plus I wrote millage on it w/a sharpie.. I have a VCDS, I didnt use it.. just cranked it til it started and all was fine.

Quick Reply: TDi fuel filter change