Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Sunroof issues result

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Sunroof issues result

I posted earlier about my creaking sunroof and it went into the dealer on Friday morning. By the afternoon, the service manager had been on the phone many times with Audi and called me to tell me that Audi is aware of this issue on several Q7s and that it is not dry seals, pollen, or dirt. The fix is twofold. First, they add felt between all of the clips on the headliner and the roof panel at the leading edge of the sunroof opening . The second fix is that they are replacing the front glass panel [!], as there is a problem at the seal between the front glass panel and the rear glass panel. They are not able to stop the rattle between the two panels without replacing the front one. The new glass is supposed to be in today and hopefully this will fix the noisy panoramic roof...
Old 05-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that sucks, I'm experiencing this problem as well. Thanks for sharing your experience so I know what I may be in for should it drive me crazy enough and I finally break down and take it in!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Paradox
Wow, that sucks...
Yes and no. Even though the fix is fairly involved, it looks like one's be found. Nothing I dislike more than dealers pissing around with hit-or-miss attempts which require multiple trips to correct the issue.

Last edited by NABS4; 05-09-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
Yes and no. Even though the fix is fairly involved, it looks like one's be found. Nothing I dislike more than dealers pissing around with hit-or-miss attempts which require multiple trips to correct the issue.
I don't know what you did with my quote as it was an incomplete quote I made but anyways, I agree, my dealership is not close at all which is why I often tend to just live with things like this until I trade in about 3 years.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry that many of you are having this problem. I have 3,300 miles on mine and the sunroof has never creaked. I am sure that they will fix it correctly. Remember that the new Q7 has been running around Europe for a long time now so I have no doubt that there are many other instances out there and the solution has proven to be a successful one.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pcaddict66
Sorry that many of you are having this problem. I have 3,300 miles on mine and the sunroof has never creaked. I am sure that they will fix it correctly. Remember that the new Q7 has been running around Europe for a long time now so I have no doubt that there are many other instances out there and the solution has proven to be a successful one.
The irony to this is that while mine is in the shop getting its sunroof-echtomy, the dealership gave me a loaner 2017 Q7 with about 5k miles on it and the sunroof is dead quiet....
Old 05-09-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by termite
The irony to this is that while mine is in the shop getting its sunroof-echtomy, the dealership gave me a loaner 2017 Q7 with about 5k miles on it and the sunroof is dead quiet....
perhaps the loaner is a later build than yours where the sunroof issue has already been addressed by changes to factory assembly for more recent builds.

funny how both the XC90 and Q7 being direct competitors of each other are experiencing sunroof issues, albeit the Q7's isn't as serious.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by larryV
perhaps the loaner is a later build than yours where the sunroof issue has already been addressed by changes to factory assembly for more recent builds.

funny how both the XC90 and Q7 being direct competitors of each other are experiencing sunroof issues, albeit the Q7's isn't as serious.
What's even odder is I have a first edition xc90, one of the very first built and on the first ship to the US delivered last May, and I've had none of those sunroof issues others have had. Not saying one bit they haven't had issues, I actually feel for them because I wouldn't stand for the types of water intrusion some have had. Just saying how it is weird it seems the ones affected are later builds in that case. Maybe more attention to detail went into the first editions, lol.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by termite
I posted earlier about my creaking sunroof and it went into the dealer on Friday morning. By the afternoon, the service manager had been on the phone many times with Audi and called me to tell me that Audi is aware of this issue on several Q7s and that it is not dry seals, pollen, or dirt. The fix is twofold. First, they add felt between all of the clips on the headliner and the roof panel at the leading edge of the sunroof opening . The second fix is that they are replacing the front glass panel [!], as there is a problem at the seal between the front glass panel and the rear glass panel. They are not able to stop the rattle between the two panels without replacing the front one. The new glass is supposed to be in today and hopefully this will fix the noisy panoramic roof...
Thanks so much for the timely result! I already have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, I will forward this information to the dealer and hopefully it will save everyone time.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Another update....car has been at the dealer since Friday. The new glass was installed today and seems to have fixed the clunking noise. Bad news is that the felt has not stopped the squeaking so the car is still there...

Quick Reply: Sunroof issues result