Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default traffic jam assist steering wheel

I know that the traffic jam assist + acc helps you

1. stay inside lane
2. gas and break automatically
3. turn the steering wheel itself

all under 40 or 50mph?

However, does this work on free road where the speeds are over 60mph? i know the ACC would work, but would the lane keep and steering be active too?
Old 08-27-2016, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

TJA works at speeds under 40 MPH and works by following the traffic in front of you. Above 40 MPH lane keep assist takes over by making minor steering corrections but it won't follow the traffic in front of you like TJA.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I see... but if you're using ACC, almost 90% of the time you will be on the highways right?

the highways from where I live (toronto) doesn't have that many twists and curves so the minor steering wheel adjustments will pretty much be the same, along with the ACC with auto-breaking to a full stop correct?
Old 08-27-2016, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry Kang
I see... but if you're using ACC, almost 90% of the time you will be on the highways right?

the highways from where I live (toronto) doesn't have that many twists and curves so the minor steering wheel adjustments will pretty much be the same, along with the ACC with auto-breaking to a full stop correct?
You can use ACC at any time. I use it all of the time on any kind of street.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry Kang

I also use ACC all the time, on the highway and on city streets. Yes, it will bring you to a full stop. And if the car in front of you moves within three seconds, it will start you going again too. If longer than three seconds elapses since you stopped, you need to give a tug on the ACC stalk to re-enable.

TJA and lane assist are controlled (on/off) by the same button on the end of the turn signal stalk. Their engagement is indicated by a set of parallel lines on the dash display (and HUD if you have it) turning green. There is an additional symbol that appears when TJA is active. In practice (over 6k miles I've driven now), I find that there's not a noticeable difference when it switches from TJA to lane assist. But keep in mind, if you don't make a steering input every 10 seconds or so, both TJA and lane assist will disengage.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
I also use ACC all the time, on the highway and on city streets. Yes, it will bring you to a full stop. And if the car in front of you moves within three seconds, it will start you going again too. If longer than three seconds elapses since you stopped, you need to give a tug on the ACC stalk to re-enable.

TJA and lane assist are controlled (on/off) by the same button on the end of the turn signal stalk. Their engagement is indicated by a set of parallel lines on the dash display (and HUD if you have it) turning green. There is an additional symbol that appears when TJA is active. In practice (over 6k miles I've driven now), I find that there's not a noticeable difference when it switches from TJA to lane assist. But keep in mind, if you don't make a steering input every 10 seconds or so, both TJA and lane assist will disengage.
thanks for the clarification! thats what I couldn't make different, between TJA and LK+ACC, they're almost the idea and does the same things...
Old 08-28-2016, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Audi semi autonomous systems seem really advanced and what few professional reviews that are out there says its an amazing system yet with all the attention being given to these drivers assistance systems, the Audi technology seems to fly under the radar. Volvos pilot assist was not quite as good as Audi's system but now pilot assist 2 is out and does TJA up to 81 mph and supposedly performs equally as well as Audi.
Point being that Volvo and Audi seem to have some of the best systems out there yet they get no real attention as being sophisticated semi autonomous advancements. Find it kind of odd. It seems like you have to have your auto drive crash your car before you get recognition.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc8guru
The Audi semi autonomous systems seem really advanced and what few professional reviews that are out there says its an amazing system yet with all the attention being given to these drivers assistance systems, the Audi technology seems to fly under the radar. Volvos pilot assist was not quite as good as Audi's system but now pilot assist 2 is out and does TJA up to 81 mph and supposedly performs equally as well as Audi.
Point being that Volvo and Audi seem to have some of the best systems out there yet they get no real attention as being sophisticated semi autonomous advancements. Find it kind of odd. It seems like you have to have your auto drive crash your car before you get recognition.
its all apple-style marketing that gets all the attention.. over sell what the system can actually do and you will get press meanwhile audi always markets poorly.. but thats fine it has always been an understated brand and Im happy for every douche to get a tesla while I enjoy my audi =)