Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Lane keeping warning: keep hands on steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lane keeping warning: keep hands on steering

When I use lane keeping on a straight road.
If I hold the steering very gently, the warning easily pops out to ask me to hold steering , but I do!
But it's a straight road, not curve. The warning is loud and annoying.
Should I pull the steering from time to time to avoid the warning?
Does anyone feel the same that the DAP is too sensitive if you don't hold steering hard when using lane keeping?
Can dealer adjust the sensitivity? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In that situation, I drive with my left knee lightly pressed against the bottom left of the steering wheel. That is enough to “fool” the system and keep from turning off. Works well for me on long freeway trips!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

For this reason alone, the lane assist is not worth it. It takes more effort with this feature than without...LOL
Old 03-12-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Lane assist and traffic jam both. Basically it needs to sense some steering input from you. What seems to work is if you slightly pull down on the steering wheel on one side. It will counteract your force and at the same time be satisfied that you have your hands on the wheel. Light touch on the steering wheel won't work and you get the warning. I find these current systems rather mediocre. I understand that the software isn't ready or the manufacturers are not willing to gamble and potentially get into a lawsuit before legislation is clear on autonomous driving features, but I tend to turn off lane assist and traffic jam assist. ACC works great, but it seems less annoying to just steer the car myself.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I bet there is a setting that can be accessed in OBDeleven to change the time interval from the current 10 seconds to something longer. RickObe, you find anything in your travels?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bkafrick
I bet there is a setting that can be accessed in OBDeleven to change the time interval from the current 10 seconds to something longer. RickObe, you find anything in your travels?
This, is something I would pay good money for!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It requires force, I don't think it's touch sensitive. Resting arm on it with some pressure helps.
I like that requirement because there were times when Q7 pulled strongly to side when there was no reason for it to do, it gets confused by the patches (where long cracks are patched with glossy tar) and I had to swerve back in order to avoid hitting another vehicle on a narrow road, Ever since then I keep it off on local or bad roads.

I remember someone posted a video of a driver sticking a water bottle in the steering wheel on a straight highway.

I wish we could lower the volume of the warning chime, it's very loud and annoying. I think there are different chimes, one to remind you to hold the steering wheel, and another when it doesn't sense the lane markers.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I wish we could lower the volume of the warning chime, it's very loud and annoying. I think there are different chimes, one to remind you to hold the steering wheel, and another when it doesn't sense the lane markers.
You can def remove the seat belt warning chime. Its the first modification I did with ODBeleven.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, that loud beep is annoying when I'm trying to nap during my drive to work.

In all seriousness, I just keep my left hand holding the wheel at about 7 o'clock with my arm rested against my left thigh and it seems to work well.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by itiongo
This, is something I would pay good money for!
There is, but it doesn't change much. The instructions are here, and the specific adaptation is Directional stabilization assist driver inact deactiv threshold (3 options). When I set it to "Late", I timed it at around 15s.

Quick Reply: Lane keeping warning: keep hands on steering