RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

2015 vs. 2016

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 vs. 2016

So I have a custom order being built right now for a 2015 Matte Grey Daytona RS7 - dealer says it will arrive here in LA in November. Needless to say but I'm very excited.

However, I was a bit disappointed to learn that the new facelift will not be available here in the US til next calendar year.

The question I have for everyone is: is it worth waiting another half year for the facelift and ordering a 2016 instead? What else besides the new headlight design, slightly modified grill and taillights and slightly faster MMI processor would I be waiting for? Does the 2016 have the flat bottom steering wheel in the US? (p.s. can someone explain to me why the US RS7 didn't come with this to begin with when other 'lesser' cars like the RS4 and SQ5 have had it from day one??)

I'm leaning towards just taking the 2015 unless someone can tell me that the 2016 will be significantly better/worth the wait. Any insight/advice would be much appreciated!

Dave
Old 08-30-2014, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Being a newish owner myself, I would not be able to wait another year for a few cosmetic upgrades. I enjoy driving this vehicle so much I would feel I had wasted a year of my life.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Had this same decision. Here's what led me to order now [also matte Daytona], rather than wait:

1. I faced same decision with my R8 last year; so glad I bought then; I have enjoyed the car for a year+ compared to any new model changes, and the 2015 changes look negligible. The future new R8 still not here yet.

2. I don't actually like the new headlights and the front end lines built around them on the RS7 FL. Too "Lexus" for me. I like the curves of the pre-facelift version. I did a lot of comparison of body photos to reach this conclusion, but once I did, I realized that I really wanted to order the RS7 now.

3. Would I like LTE on the Audi Connect? Sure, but the primary advantage of that technology is for the passengers. I have a 2013 A7 now, and while it has substantially more advanced tech than my 2014 R8, the R8 is way more fun to drive. I anticipate the RS7 will prove the same: the joy of driving it now will outweigh any minor perceived benefits in the future [bird in the hand].
Old 08-30-2014, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Technology wise:

Apple Car Play is suppose to come with the 2016 models, so I have read.

It might come with the newer MMI, not only LTE but like the A3, the hand writing capability. I don't know if there is more to it than just that but I know the 2015 A3 is the only one with the newer MMI.

I'm going to get my first Audi which will be an A3 Prestige but I might wait so I can get the Apple Car Play. I use my iPhone allot and since I'm going to buy not lease I really think I would like that option.

I'm going the North American International Auto Show in January and will see what the Audi reps have on display and what they know about it.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drober30
Technology wise:

Apple Car Play is suppose to come with the 2016 models, so I have read.

It might come with the newer MMI, not only LTE but like the A3, the hand writing capability. I don't know if there is more to it than just that but I know the 2015 A3 is the only one with the newer MMI.

I'm going to get my first Audi which will be an A3 Prestige but I might wait so I can get the Apple Car Play. I use my iPhone allot and since I'm going to buy not lease I really think I would like that option.

I'm going the North American International Auto Show in January and will see what the Audi reps have on display and what they know about it.
As a big Apple guy, ACP would be nice. In my A7, though, one button Siri on the phone is almost as good. The A3 handwriting may be better, but just speaking as a guy who has handwriting in his current A7, voice is still better and it works excellently. Handwriting works, but is slow compared to voice. Voice control in my A7 has never failed to dial the correct number [though the imported number of contacts from my iPhone is still limiting], has never failed to enter the correct nav address, and has only occasionally picked the wrong song. Would I like it to be better? Sure. Always. Am I willing to wait another 11 months to get it? In my case, no.

I expect the show will be a blast, but by that time, I plan to be driving my RS7.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like you, I was going to order my RS7 this year until I found out that the new facelift will be here in US next year so I decided to wait.

To me I'm all into the latest and greatest so...if you are spending that kinda money on a RS7, why not get the newest. I think the LTE connection will do wonders to the google satellite maps. And you can even have the map in the DIS.

I'm willing to wait....but I know some people can't wait a year.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chucky0731
Just like you, I was going to order my RS7 this year until I found out that the new facelift will be here in US next year so I decided to wait.

To me I'm all into the latest and greatest so...if you are spending that kinda money on a RS7, why not get the newest. I think the LTE connection will do wonders to the google satellite maps. And you can even have the map in the DIS.

I'm willing to wait....but I know some people can't wait a year.
And once you place your order and it arrives, what will you do to get the latest and greatest? Right now, the pre-FL 2015 is the latest and greatest. By definition, it is the newest. 6 months from now, it will be something else. I hear you, and each of us gets to choose what to do with our money, but waiting for the "latest and greatest" in this day and age when technology is changing right in front of our eyes is . . . well, we each get to choose. I don't choose to chase that moving goalpost.

Later this month, Apple will likely introduce a new iPhone. I will probably get it, and I will wait about two days, no more than a week likely, to get "the latest and greatest." That's a very different tech order cycle. Granted, the RS7 is a much bigger pot of money, and you absolutely should get what you want. But you know, by definition, by the time that your 2015 FL arrives, that the rumor mill will already be in full swing for the next model, and the tech in your brand new car will be outdated before you take delivery. Heck the 2016 A7 is likely to have better tech than your 2015 FL RS7.

I had the same choice with my R8. Choose to get a car with ancient circa 2008 technology, or wait until sometime next year to order what appears will be a very handsome car. I have been enjoying the 2014 R8 FL [with still ancient tech] for almost a year, and never regretting it. The FL RS7 apparently will have same performance characteristics, and that's why I am ordering the car now. Besides, the FL headlights and front grille are fugly.